***VIRUS ALERT***

G

Griffith_se

Hi,

FYI, there is an E-Mail Virus going around called, " I LOVE YOU ". If you see this message delete it, don't open it.

[me][/me]

C

Chaos Turtle

Uhm, okay. But my significant other is gonna be pissed...

"Whay don't you return my emails anymore?"

"Well, stop trying to wreck my computer! I know what you're up to! Dog-swine!"

"Whatever, see you around, say...never? A**hole."

"Ha! I'm onto your evil plan!"

"Freak."

And then what would I do for lovin'?

:p

G

Griffith_se

As far as I know it's not a joke.
They're shuting down systems (Microsoft exchange) were I work, unless our systems people are being fooled by a hoax.

[Edited by Griffith_se on May 4th, 2000 at 12:06 PM]

C

Chaos Turtle

It is true! (sorry, I see so so many bogus warnings... :(

Here's the story at MSN.

If you open the attahment in the email, the virus will search your system for .jpg and .mp3 files and delete them, then send itself to everyone in your address book.

Why people gotta do a thing like that? :mad:

G

Griffith_se

Chaos Turtle,

The only game I play is M:tG. I would'nt try to hoax a Virus. :p Today When I got to work the systems Guy's warned of the virus, and shortly after, shut down our Exchange. I looked at my E-mail and there were four "ILOVEYOU"('s) In my INBOX, From nobody I know.

[me][/me]

[Edited by Griffith_se on May 4th, 2000 at 03:05 PM]

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
What the hell kinda of virus delete's MP3s? ...hmm, wonder if this guy is a big Metallica fan? (<-- reference to Metallica's suit agains Napster)

[me]backs up MP3s[/me]

[me]now finishes reading the link from CT.[/me]

Well, that was a waste - it backs MP3s up, but it does delete .JPG, .VBS, .VBE, .JS, .JSE, .CSS, .WSH, .SCT and .HTA also.

Anyway, another ironic thing: anyone notice that article was by Bob Sullivan :) It just happens to my dad's name :D

Z

Zadok001

Did your dad write it?

Virus that deletes my music? BACK, FOUL DEAMON! BACK, SAY I! Henceforth, away! (I just saw Macbeth... :) )

"You may NOT delete Mononoke Hime..."

S

Spaceman Spiff

I would think it was A virus if "ILOVEYOU" is spelled in all capitals and one word ;)

G

GreatGoatGuy

ok one thing tho if someone you do know, actually does send you ILOVEYOU you can open it, just don't open the attachment. i saw it on the news as soon as I got home, also the virus sends all your passwords, online banking crud etc, to a comp in the philipinnes(sp?)

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Zadok - no that's not my dad. He's computer illiterate.

GreenGoatGuy - the virus it self doesn't actually send the password. I just encourages you to download a 'Windows fix' that is a password stealer. Also, keep note people. Just because it says its from your friend, it may not be: It just uses him as a zombie to propogate the virus.

L

linsivvi

GRrrrrrrr.. This virus is out and its real and it already got to two of my friends. Why must people do these things. :(

M

Multani

Tag Guard
Has anyone ever noticed that nothing good ever
happens in the Philipinnes?

I

Istanbul

You know, you're right.

TIME TO BREAK OUT THE NUKES! We've been itching for a chance to use these...everybody take aim at the Phillipines and turn it into a crater!

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I think...just think, mind you, that you may be overreacting a bit there, Istanbul.

This virus thing though...

Griffith_se, you got off easy if you only received 4 of them. I personally got over a hundred between Thursday and Friday, and some of the other people I work with got more than twice that! On Friday, a new strain was introduced with the message line "Joke", that our ITS people say has a .vbs file that when opened deletes all the .BAT and .INI files on your hard drive before it sends itself to everyone in your address book.

Frightening, huh?

You know, if these hackers don't knock it off we'll find ourselves clubbed back into the Stone Age before long. Them too, which is why I don't understand what it is they're trying to accomplish with this sort of thing.

I just don't get it. :(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Tag Guard

Just in case some people don't know by now, other variations in the subject header are Virus Warning (in caps) and Mother's Day Gift/Receipt.

TomB: I don't think it's gotten to the point where everyone will give up computers; they're too much a part of society and life now. However, it does cause untold amounts of damage and disruption and chaos, which may be the goal. Or just seeing if they could create the most destructive virus yet... asking why they do it is hopeless ;)

D

Dune Echo

TAG GUARD

You know, I'd never thought I'd say this (this is a joke of course):

I got a love note from a girl I had unprotected cybersex with and realized I'd caught a virus.

I know that's bad, but I just had to say it.