variant hunting

U

Ura

Greetings all!

I'm looking for the rules to a magic variant known as "bad deck".
I'm not sure if anyone else has heard of it but I remember that the point was to build your deck following a list of rules, make sure you use as lousy as possible cards you could find and then when you play you switch decks with your opponent for the duel.
Anyone heard of it?

[Edited by Ura (03-05-2000 at 02:03 AM).]

T

theorgg

ummm... for a second lemme use some afero uhh. afareak ummm.. DAMN MY SPELLING AND POLITCAL CORRECTIONESS!!!
ummm...

for a second lemme try to use some black slang:

I gots the humpped ups!
(I think...)

I not only have heard of it, but I typed it up from the inquest it was printed in and put it up on my website! and there's a printable decklist page for it, too!

I've never been able to get anyone to play the variant, though... :(

http://www.brainburst.com/freesite/orggscave

it's in the InQuest decks section.

mabe the CPA can run a tournament for it somtime if enough people want to do it...

now what was the address for the chatroom again, ed?

Z

Zadok001

Here's the format I heard of:

All players build a deck. They play with their own decks game one, game two with their opponent's, game three with their own.

Simple, but no too good. It's possible to build decks that are VERY difficult to beat, especially if you're a creative deck builder. The whole trick is to play a conditional way to win (for example, your only damage source is Pyschic Venom/Icy). When you play the second game, your opponent will have your deck, and you don't let them have the condition (with the Venom/Icy combo, don't play land). You'll often win by decking the guy with your deck. Third game, you have your deck back. Your opponent can't do what you just did, you win the round if he does. So you win again.

It's not a completely solid tactic, but it really messes with the system.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My group once did a "Reverse BackDraft" where we "line drafted" (if you want more details on THAT, let me know) the worst cards. Then we gave the mess to out opponent, built a deck of it, and played. It got kind of annoying because you had to rebuild the deck after every game (we played each other person twice or so).