Vacation time!

R

rokapoke

Well, generally speaking, the forum activity takes a big-time dive when you're not around. Therefore, it is lame for you to take a vacation (unless, of course, you plan to take advantage of some internet access while you're out!).

T

train

What is this "Vacation" thing everyone continues to speak of?

Whatever it is Spidey, hopefully it is not forced and something you wouldn't want to do... ;-)

T

train

Yeah - I get 'am - just don't know what they're really about... I'm a workaholic, and unfortunately, until someone else is trained to sure-up our California operations, sometimes still needed when I would be off...

D

DarthFerret

Spidey takes more vacations than Obama! (ok, not really, but it seems like it sometimes!)

turgy22

Nothing Special
I don't think Spidey's every-other-Fridays off count as official vacation days, nor do his numerous days off for federal holidays. I get the impression he takes one 2-week vacation every summer, which would be about 10 work days, far lower than Obama's roughly 40 yearly vacation days. Of course, both would have to start taking a LOT more vacation time to get anywhere close to GWBush's average of over 110 yearly vacation days during his time as president.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think Spidey's every-other-Fridays off count as official vacation days
They don't because I work 9 hours for the other 8 days in a two week pay period (and one 8 hours day, which is the other Friday). So a total of 80 hours for every two weeks.

I've just happened to put my 2 weeks "big" vacation together for the past couple of years; before that, it was two 1 week vacations, usually one in the summer and one around Christmas time.

I do take days off here and there; tomorrow will be one of those :) But those are the "big" chunks or stretches of time.

T

train

Of course, both would have to start taking a LOT more vacation time to get anywhere close to GWBush's average of over 110 yearly vacation days during his time as president.
Someone seems a little jealous...:p

And I must state - considering the amount of "damage" done by the presidents so far - I'd rather have Obama take a lot more vacation days and stop working... Bush did his damage and then relaxed to prevent further damage - seems in the better interest of the country to do it that way... ;)

turgy22

Nothing Special
Someone seems a little jealous...:p
A little jealous? I'm extraordinarily jealous. I only get 18 vacation days a year. Then again, I don't have to work weekends, either.

Anyway, the point of the comment was simply to throw the facts out there. When I detect blatant hypocrisy from either end of the political spectrum, I feel an urge to point it out. A conservative and former Bush-backer criticizing Obama for taking too much vacation, is a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black. There are plenty of other ways to make fun of Obama without mentioning his vacation time.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I only have to work weekends a little, in case a call come up (which doesn't happen often). Although I'm the lead for a new database and I can see working weekends a lot more... but at least it's overtime or comp time.

I agree about your remarks in the second paragraph. A former worker who's apparently either a conservatist and/or Bush supporter keeps forwarding criticizing emails and I have to keep referring him back to snopes for rebuttal on most of them :)

T

train

I learned from my Poli-Sci instructor a long time ago - those in the president's office have no idea what they are doing, so they put people in the cabinet and staff that have no idea what they are doing, so they can then hire assistants and others that have no idea what they are doing...

and....

Policy is only as good as the paper it's written on - if it's not good enough to wipe your oink! with it, then it shouldn't be written...

I must say - I wouldn't wipe my oink! with any of the policy documents...