Using Collectors Edition cards

• Thread starter TheCasualOblivion
  • Start date
T

TheCasualOblivion

I'm just wondering what the opinion of the message board was on using Collectors Edition cards.

It really doesn't change anything either way for me, since I've been using a CE Wrath of God and Tundra in decks for close to two years now, in sleeves of course. Ever since I've been playing again, I've been trying to rebuild my collection of Dual Lands, and I'm kind of inclined to use Collectors Edition cards to ease the burden a little. I had 38 when I sold my first collection, 4 of each except 3 Underground Sea and 3 Badlands. In my current collection, I had 2 Tropical Islands, 2 Plateaus and 1 Collectors Edition Tundra until today. I guy was auctioning off 6 CE duals on Ebay(Bayou, Plateau, Savanna, Scrubland, Tropical Island, Tundra). I won them all for a grand total of $74.62, a great price for six duals.

I've actually never had any negative comments on playing the two CE cards I've had for a while. A few people who never heard of CE complemented me on my black borders, and then I showed them that they really weren't Beta and we played on without incident. A couple of more savvy collectors who knew what they were actually gave me props for having them, and didn't say a word about them being in a deck at the time.

N

Nightstalkers

Personally, I have no real problem with people using them. however, I do believe you can't use them in tournaments.

Hey, they are the cards... but if they have a different back to them just use those cases with the blacked out backs.

Killer Joe

Personally I could care less if you use them against me in a duel or mp game. If they were paper copies I might have a little problem with that depending who you are. If your even trying to pass them off as "The Real Deal" then heck no, I've a real problem with that.

I'd use if I were you. :rolleyes:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I haven't seen people try to use them against me, probably because they aren't tournament legal or because they've ran into people who have had problems with it. As far as casual play goes, I usually let people use proxies, although I usually get slightly irritated if they don't ask me if it's alright beforehand (especially when a guy plays an Island that has "Rotlung Reanimator" written on it, and then tells me it's a Scion of Darkness). So of course I wouldn't whine about collector's edition cards in casual games.

Now tournament play is another story, not that I've ever even heard of anyone trying to use collector's edition cards in tournaments...

T

TheCasualOblivion

Well, I've played in a grand total of one sanctioned tournament since I started playing back during 4th edition. That tournament just happened to be a booster draft. Tournament illegality means nothing to me. As far as sleeves go, I use blacked out sleeves as a matter of principle, and to aid in proxying cards I actually have, like the three Cities of Brass I have that get shared between eight decks, so sleeves aren't an issue either. I've never tried to pass them off as real. Granted, I don't go out of my way to point them out, but everyone who has noticed them(which includes all of the "Wow, those are Beta" people) and I've shown them to treats them like real cards.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, up close they could never be mistaken for Beta cards, but in sleeves I can definitely see people thinking that they are, especially if they don't know about collector's edition cards. Once at a store, I saw cards that looked like the real thing, and with the sleeves they were in and the glass case, I didn't notice the difference until I took note of the price ($40 each for a Mox).

Of course, that brings up the question of who wants to pay $40 for a collector's edition card, but to each his own, I suppose...

I

Istanbul

In casual play, sure. Who cares?
In tournament play, you're cheating.

I

Istanbul

I've spent a large portion of my life being unnecessarily apologetic for exercising my right to express myself. Think I won't do it here.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Oversoul said:
Now tournament play is another story, not that I've ever even heard of anyone trying to use collector's edition cards in tournaments...
Well now you have. I've seen everyhting from CE to actual fakes being used in DCI tournaments..... sad, very sad.

Casual play? I could care less if you draw the card in crayon.....
KJ, I challenge you to a crayon match........ hehe

M

Mikeymike

I happily play with my complete CE set in casual. I rarely ever play in tourneys, and would not try to bring them to one.

N

Nightstalkers

Goodness I hate those blasted world championship cards... Goldbordered with those stupid backs to them make them almost totally unplayable except for with their native decks or actual decks made from just cards in those decks... which is like asking someone to make a deck out of a set of 50 or so cards.

Scary...

Anywho... I used to pick up some grabbags from stores and those were great. Of course they tried to black out the borders of cards with a permanent marker, but the card is still the card, right? Renewal is a great card, even if it is a black bordered revised card.

only problems I see with the CE cards is that they have those square edges to them. Wouldn't that allow for some cheating?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, they let people use Alpha cards in tournaments (with opaque sleeves, of course) and they have rounded corners...

T

TheCasualOblivion

World Championship Deck cards with borders blacked out with marker...

I think I actually have a few of those...

Killer Joe

TheCasualOblivion said:
World Championship Deck cards with borders blacked out with marker...

I think I actually have a few of those...
If anyone is using them in a casual setting then there isn't a need to use markers, unless they're trying to pass them off as tournament legal cards.

:eek: However, for the sake of cosmetics, I've markered some Championship cards before just so they look better in sleeves. :eek:

T

TheCasualOblivion

Killer Joe said:
If anyone is using them in a casual setting then there isn't a need to use markers, unless they're trying to pass them off as tournament legal cards.

:eek: However, for the sake of cosmetics, I've markered some Championship cards before just so they look better in sleeves. :eek:
That was basically my reasoning.