Unrestricted Type 1 Deck: Opinions needed!!

D

DarthFerret

Alright, I have built a deck for a small unsanctioned tourney that some friends of mine are holding. There are no restricted cards (although the Vintage banned list will still be used).

Keeping in mind that I have very few cards since the Invasions Block, does anyone see anything else I can do to speed this up a little bit?

The deck relies on winning by deck default. I could build a power deck, but there is also a prize (complete set of Unhinged) for the most creative and unusual deck. I am planning on using this to win all of my games by Deck Default (opponent running out of cards to draw from library).

10 Islands
10 Swamps
4 Cabal Coffers

2 Time Elementals
4 Time Spirals (I know....I know....lol) :D
1 Ambassador Laquatus
1 Denying Wind

3 Lobotomy (all I own)

1 Haunting Echoes
1 Icequake
2 Rain of Tears
2 Despoil
1 Befoul
1 Rancid Earth
1 Demonic Hordes
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Rhystic Tutor
4 Phyrexian Gremlins

3 Winter Orb
2 Static Orb
1 Dingus Egg
2 Feldon's Cane
3 Tormod's Crypt
3 Foutain of Youth
3 Millstone
1 Stone Calendar
1 Helm of Awakening
1 Amber Prison
1 Sol Ring

Deck playtests well, but not sure how it will handle a tournament.

I know we are casual players, but I got the invite because a few people at my local card shop have seen some of my older cards, and want to start playing with me more often.

One Idea I am considering is running with a couple of Icy Manipulators, and a couple of Dark Rituals. Not sure where I would sub them in at. Also, need ideas on how to sideboard for this deck.

Any comments welcome. I will also let you know how I fared. The tourney is this Friday, in the early evening.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
4 Mox Pearl
4 Mox Sapphire
4 Mox Jet
4 Mox Ruby
4 Mox Emerald
4 Black Lotus
4 Mana Crypt
4 Mind's Desire
4 Yawgmoth's Bargain
4 Ancestral Recall
4 Timetwister
4 Windfall
4 Wheel of Fortune
4 Tendrils of Agony
2 Demonic Tutor
2 Tolarian Academy

Okay, just kidding...

Seriously, what about Duress?

D

DarthFerret

Already involving LD and deck running, not sure if I really want to involve discard also.....

R

Reverend Love

4 Time Spiral
4 High Tide
4 Peregrine Drake
2 Capsize
4 Mana Severence
1 Brain Freeze
4 Serum Powder
1 Forget
36 Islands

Oops

D

DarthFerret

Frantic search, good idea, just looked it up and like it, but I have almost no cards from that set, therefore, may have to look through some commons boxes for them. Unless you have 4 you want to send me??? (hint hint)

<snicker>

T

train

If I had to run it the way you are (black blue)- I'd try to run it like this... With slowing them down so much with discard and mill - I don't see the land destruction as necessary...

10 Islands
10 Swamps
2 Cabal Coffers

2 Memory Lapse
4 Mana Leak
4 Time Spirals (I know....I know....lol)
1 Ambassador Laquatus
1 Denying Wind
4 Arcane Laboratory
3 Lobotomy (all I own)
1 Mind Twist
1 Haunting Echoes
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Rhystic Tutor
4 Hymn to tourach
1 Drain Life
2 Feldon's Cane
3 Tormod's Crypt
3 Millstone
1 Helm of Awakening
1 Sol Ring

D

DarthFerret

I started out with something kinda similar, but quickly found out that if Ambassador Laquatis was my only creature, he quickly got waxed. By having a few others out there (especially the Time Elementals) it made it a bit easier to keep AL out.

N

NorrYtt

10 Island
10 Swamp
4 Cabal Coffers

This is a terrible manabase. Cabal Coffers nets you zero mana until you have 3 Swamps in play, where you merely break even?

You are better off with something like Temple of the False God, which will do practically the same thing but slightly better.

You need something like 4 Brainstorm because you don't have any mana fixing besides your 10 basic Islands and your 10 basic Swamps.

Jester's Cap is more efficient than Denying Wind.

I don't see what's happening with Helm of Awakening next to prison parts like Winter Orb. Helm helps your opponent, too.

You might be surprised if you hold a tournament like this. There are some hideously broken things you can do when you are allowed to play 4 Yawgmoth's Will, 4 Yawgmoth's Bargain, and 4 Balance, which doesn't even count all the expensive fast mana.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by NorrYtt
You might be surprised if you hold a tournament like this. There are some hideously broken things you can do when you are allowed to play 4 Yawgmoth's Will, 4 Yawgmoth's Bargain, and 4 Balance, which doesn't even count all the expensive fast mana.
No joke. Combo especially could be absurd here...