Unorthodox Sets

• Thread starter FoundationOfRancor
  • Start date
F

FoundationOfRancor

What does everyone think of the incredibly unusual stuff thats been going on in the past two sets? Three new named mechanics, off color abilties, a rehash of all these old mechanics (Atogs, Lurgofs, Plainswalk), not to mention an entire set thats partial to black.

What do you guys think? Should they continue with these offbeat cards, or should we see a more cohesive set, like the invasion cycle?

G

Gizmo

I like Odyssey a lot, Torment isnt as good but its a perfectly good expansion.

Old magic had been done to death, there was nowhere really to take it. Innovation is the way forward, the other way lies stagnation.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Innovation in over-arching concepts is good, but I hope that they continue to work on innovation on a card-by-card basis as well. I would much prefer a set with a large number of "I didn't see that one coming" type cards and no real new mechanic to a set with several new mechanics and cards that use the new mechanics in the same 20-30 ways. Fortunately, neither Odyssey nor Torment seems to be the latter, and so far I'm fairly pleased with what they've done with Threshold, Flashback, and Madness.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Looks good to me, but then I liked pretty much everything the past sets had to offer (that I know of). :)

M

MrXarvox

Anything out of the ordinary is fine with me. If they made a whole set that sucked royally, I'd wait for the price to dive and then make a Set-That-Sucks-Royally theme deck. A Deck-That-Sucks-Royally, if you will.

I'm glad to see these sets on the path of originality. If only I had money... and access to a store...