Unexpected Processor

Z

Zadok001

Ladies and Gentlemen.

This deck is adapted from a version I saw on the Dojo oh-so long ago, which I have greatly enjoyed playing for months, on-and-off. Now I have a problem. There's an Extended FNM tourney this Friday, so I'm in tuning mode. A good sized portion of the deck is finalized, but there's some parts that aren't quite finished yet.

Unexpected Processor aka Unexpected Complications aka Crash and Burn

4x Birds of Paradise
4x Phyrexian Ghoul
4x Academy Rector
4x Pattern of Rebirth
4x Duress
2x Vampiric Tutor

1x Saproling Burst
1x Seal of Cleansing
1x Confiscate
1x Sliver Queen
1x Spike Weaver
1x Reya, Dawnbringer

It's the parts beyond that I'm having trouble with. More specialized cards (silver bullets)? If so, what? I also want to play with four Llanowars, as they greatly assist the turn 3 kill, and help the deck's mana immensly. What about a sideboard? Additional support cards ala Duress? Remember, I'm planning for a mostly random metagame here, so I'm not seeking a metagame map. Just whatever thoughts you have.

As for the deck, if you can't tell, the plan is very clear and simple - Go for the head. The Ghouls are my primary sacrifice source, though I have a High Market as well as a 5th Ghoul. Sack a Rector to fetch silver bullet of choice, or a Pattern or Rebirth if you need a creature bullet. Or visa-versa. The turn three kill is:

1: Forest, Birds
2: Swamp, Ghoul
3: Plains, Rector. Attack with Ghoul. Sack Rector (4/4) to get a Pattern on the Birds. Sack the Birds (6/6) to put a Rector into play. Sack the new Rector (8/8) to get a Saproling Burst. Make 6 Saprolings, sack them all (20/20). Game over.

Etc. :) The deck is very, very solid, but lacks consistancy. I've considered the Brainstorm/Land Grant engine, but I lack the duals to make it a solid improvement. Thoughts? Anything?

Good luck to you all!

G

Gizmo

If you are playing it as a combo you have to use 4 Tutors. I would play it as a GB version of Secret Force with Rector technolgies added on (Plaguelords key). Maybe if you centre on GW then Eladamri`s Call?

M

Mundungu

The problem I see it that you need only to bloc the ghoul to devastate your well laid plans...

And by the time you play the "combo", your opp is likely to have at least one creature in play.

mmhh, I'll bloc your 20/20 with my bird of paradise.

That is the same reason why you dont simply pattern or oath for a Serra avatar...

It can simply get chump blocked.

S

superguy

I saw a version of this deck a while ago, and if I remember correctly it had 4 Rancors. That might solve the blocking problem.

Z

Zadok001

Umm... Well, it's considered standard operating procedure to NOT pump the Ghoul until AFTER the opponent declares blockers. :) Pumping a 20/20 into a BoP would be silly, I will admit.

Rancors are a good idea, and will very likely find their way into the deck. They solve the blocking problem, and let me get aggressive with my smaller critters as well.

Unfortunately, two more Tutors are beyond my reach. I have 4 of most cards nessesary to build competetive decks, but that's not one of them. They do make the deck an almost guaranteed 4th turn kill, though... Of course, I will make an effort to acquire them, but I doubt I will be able to - I own the only two in my play group.

Plaguelord is in. :) I forgot about him!

M

Mundungu

DIABOLIC INTENT :

The card would fit great into that deck.
Sac a rector to get that vital missing card in your hand ..
like say, a rancor, or a burst ....