UnCon contest - Mirage theme deck?

I

Istanbul

As you may or may not know, Mirage is coming to Magic Online in the near future. The trick is, back when Mirage came out, WotC wasn't yet making theme decks. So the idea is to create a theme deck for Mirage, with JUST Mirage cards.

Here's my submission:

Me said:
Deck Name: Dark Legion

1 Sewer Rats - B - C
1 Blighted Shaman - 1B - U
1 Mire Shade - 1B - U
2 Restless Dead - 1B - C
1 Skulking Ghost - 1B - C
1 Wall of Corpses - 1B - C
2 Breathstealer - 2B - C
1 Cadaverous Knight - 2B - C
2 Feral Shadow - 2B - C
2 Urborg Panther - 2B - C
1 Abyssal Hunter - 3B - R
1 Dirtwater Wraith - 3B - C
2 Dread Specter - 3B - U
2 Gravebane Zombie - 3B - C
1 Zombie Mob - 2BB - U
1 Ravenous Vampire - 3BB - U
1 Basalt Golem - 5 - U
1 Spirit of the Night - 6BBB - R
1 Soulshriek - B - C
1 Withering Boon - 1B - U
2 Enfeeblement - BB - C
2 Dark Banishing - 2B - C
2 Stupor - 2B - U
1 Nocturnal Raid - 2BB - U
1 Drain Life - X1B - C
1 Kaervek's Purge - XRB - U
1 Phyrexian Vault - 3 - U
20 Swamp
4 Mountain

This deck is packed solid with fun and interesting tricks for the new and experienced player alike. Its rares are meant to appeal to everyone; Abyssal Hunter is great for tapping down creatures and even getting rid of the little ones, and a timely Soulshriek can even get rid of a big bruiser. Spirit of the Night is a perennial favorite, and this deck even contains the creatures needed to search him out!

Regenerators (Restless Dead, Cadaverous Knight) and removal (Wall of Corpses, Dark Banishing, Enfeeblement) help to keep the player long alive to win, with its ability to endure the early game offering multiple opportunities for a late victory, whether it be through a massive Drain Life, the simple removal of opposing creatures until the player can swing with his ordinary guys, or in the air with a Ravenous Vampire or the Spirit of the Night.

The Gravebane Zombies, believe it or not, are the secret weapon of this deck; feed them to Blighted Shaman for a repeated +2/+2 boost, feed them to Ravenous Vampire for a very happy (and very large) bloodsucker, or just chump block with them and use the Phyrexian Vault on them with damage on the stack to put them back into your hand instead of back onto your library. This deck really showcases the powerhouse that black became during the Mirage era!
Thoughts?

L

Limited

Including the 'search for Spirit of the Night' creatures is a great idea..

I just don't think the Kaervek Spite warrant a red splice; it should either be a monoblack deck or contain some more red cards..

J

jorael

That is Kaerveks's Purge, but I agree. Or drop 4 swamps and add 4 of the Mirage fetchlands. Those are nice.

I

Istanbul

Can't add the fetchlands - those are uncommons, and the uncommon slots are already taken. Besides, the fetchlands would take up valuable slots for actual mana-producing lands.

J

jorael

uncommon slots taken?! Are there more rules about how to build the deck? It might be handy to communicate such matters if you're asking for feedback...

S

sageridder

With the limitations you have on this build I would just remove Kaervek's Purge
replace the uncommon slot with a second Phyrexian Vault and add swamps. You've got a very solid deck within the rules you have to apply, and I think it is actually quite superior to any preconstructed deck I ever opened.The vault and gravebane zombies is in my view is quite impressive within the makeing a precon rules you have to work within. Good Luck

jorael said:
uncommon slots taken?! Are there more rules about how to build the deck? It might be handy to communicate such matters if you're asking for feedback...
Well I'm assuming that it has to be of the same ratios as any precon you would buy.

I

Istanbul

2 rares, 13 uncommons, 21 commons, 24 land.

Same as any other precon.