Uncle Istvan, any potential?

D

Doombringer

I keep finding the old Uncle Istvan card sitting around in my collection, and I think he's a pretty neat character, with his unique creature type and creature damage immunity.

So I thinks to myself, I thinks, whats a way to use him in a deck, or use him as anything other than just filler in my custom-made-Kitcat-Chunky-Box-card holders? I came up with no ideas, as he just doesn't fit in many places, and I don't make black decks too often anyway. So I pose this ever-present question to the CPA comunity, How do we give this rotting relative a job?

N

Nightstalkers

He makes an okay card in a mono-B deck that uses some sort of evasive ability... Like shadow for example.

S

sageridder

What about going b/g and just using lure on him so all your other attackers go through?Or b/w to use the en-kor creatures.

T

Troll

Or you could go B/R with Bloodfire creatures (1/1 R: sac 1 damage to each creature ditto for 6/6)

K

Killerbob

Yes, he´s very nice, very black, and very hard to find a use for. I guess it must be becuse his ability just doesnt fit black very well.
Bloodfire creatures makes sense, but the manabase will be a disaster. Same with en-kors.
Crypt rats and plaguespitter are also nice ideas, but basically he´s still just a wall who can block 1 creature.
Maybe it would be possible to add white for entangler or pariah? But then you would be better off playing monowhite en-kors ;)

Maybe the fabolous Istvan-opalescence-pestilence kombo? :D

M

mythosx

the problem with uncle istavan is that there are a few cards that are just straight up better than him,

beloved chaplain
commander eesha
unquestioned authority

makes him like forth string...

K

Killerbob

Not straight op better. They are all white. If you can find use for his ability in a black deck, he´s the choice.

Ferret

Staff member
I always thought he'd work with the Urza's Sage classic card Pariah, but I guess that would work with those guys mentionned above and they're White so you don't have to worry about splashing in Black (and with his casting cost it would be hard to just "splash" him...) Still, it would be great in a Black White deck...

-Ferret

"Karma + CoP Black + that random card that turns all lands into Swamps = FUN!!!"