uGr: Elf Ball

Killer Joe

I never knew the original list for this deck but this is what I've been messin' with for almost a month now:

uGr Elf Ball v.6
4x Birchlore Rangers
3x Fanning The Flames
4x Flamewave Invoker
3x Fyndhorn Elves
4x Land Grant
4x Llanowar Elves
4x Nature's Lore
4x Pemmin's Aura
2x Priest of Titania
4x Sktshroud Elf
4x Wellwisher
4x Wirewood Channeler
4x Wirewood Hearld

2x Forest
2x Taiga
3x Tranquil Thicket
4x Tropical Island
2x Wirewood Lodge

Stats:
Fundamental Turn: 4
Out of 25 goldfish games:
Mean: 7.24
Median: 6
Mode: 5

I have had 6 versions of this deck. The first one was horrid because I just threw it together of what i thouht I remembered from the original list. But 3 cards have always been in the deck:

4x Flamewave Invoker
4x Wirewood Channeler
4x Pemmin's Aura

I had mostly elves from Onslaught in the deck like Elvish Warrior and the one that gives +1/+1 for each elf in play to target elf. But then I started to think why was I limiting myself. I am going to play this in a format that has no boundries as far as what cards to use except no Ante cards. And, of course, the four of a kind rule. But that's pretty much it.

I replaced those elves with these:

4x Llanowar Elves
3x Fyndhorn Elves (I don't have a fourth one)
4x Wellwisher
4x Wirewood Hearld (A tutor for the Channeler)

I still had other aweful cards in the deck like: Eladamri, Lord of Leaves (how can I target my Channeler with the Aura if THIS guy is in play?) and Elvish Parchette or whatever. I wasn't getting my turn 4 kill (fundamental turn) at this point. My mean was like at 10.5 out of 50 goldfish games.

So I took out some land and added these to the deck:

4x Land Grant
4x Nature's Lore (Search your library for a Forest card. Put that card into play. Shuffle your library afterwards) NOTICE: It doesn't say put that card into play TAPPED!!!!!!

But I still wasn't getting "THE COMBO" in my hand fast enough. BTW, the combo is Wirewood Channeler, Pemmin's Aura and Flamewave Invoker. I had the Hearlds to tutor for the Channeler but nothing for the other two pieces of the combo. So I took out some more usless elves and added:

3x Fanning The Flames
3x Tranquil Thicket (for deck thinning)

My mean, median and mode were getting better but it still wasn't consistant enough for me. You see, I'll be playing in a casual tournament this Saturday where I'll be a major target with about 8 - 10 people playing. So this deck has got to survive long enough for the combo to go off and fast enough to get there.

I never liked Birchlore Rangers they just seemed useless but I now see them as not only a one drop but as mana producers as well. I also needed to drop my land count. I originally started out with 24 Forests but thats all I kept drawing. I needed some back up mana color, so in went these:

4x Birchlore Rangers
4x Skyshroud Elf
4x Tropical Island
2x Priest of Titania (I only have 2 copies)
2x Taiga (That's all I have)

This left me with two simple Forests in the deck.

I put the Wirewood Lodges in just in case I got stuck without a combo but had something like a Wellwisher in play that I could abuse a little or no Pemmin's Aura and I could use the Channeler/Invoker the old fashion way; non-combo mana!

13 land in this deck has NOT caused me to get mana screwed, save a few times. In those cases I just Mulligan and I usually get what I need to go on.

I have not done a full 100 goldfish games with this version yet but at 25 games played my stats are really good. The mean being at 7.24 is considerably better than the 8 - 10's I was getting. The median (at 13 in a 25 game play test) put me at the high end of turn 6 and the mode (the most number of times that I hit the turn that the combo could go off) is at turn 5, I hit it seven times in 25 games.

Nature's Lore is amazing, I have had them for a while and never used them thinking they were just another version of Rampant Growth. And since I'm a little anal about cards with the same name having the same picture and all, I didn't want to use them because I had four different versions of them; Ice Age, Portal: Second Age, Protal I and a Fifth/Fourth Edition (I can't remember which).

The land Tutors, Wirewood Hearld and the Thickets are my card drawers (actually deck thinners). There is no other way for me to get those Pemmin's Aura's fast enough except for a damn lucky draw.

My best opening hand could be this:
2x Tropical Islands
2x One drop mana elves
and "The Combo": Pemmin's Aura, Flamewave Invoker and the Wirewood Channeler.

If any of you have built this deck before or know of a place where I can research one, let me know. I'm SURE that I may be missing an obvious answer for this deck to get faster.

Thanks!
~Mark O.

T

train

the way I play elf-ball makes it a big utility deck...

upwelling makes elf-ball much nicer...

The key is to protect the elves and not let them get wiped out... a good lock with the elves was always the winter orb... and an icy or helix to keep your opponent pinned down while you build your elvish army...

just some thoughts...

T

Tabasco

A little bit more expensive options but

4x Intuition
4x Worldly Tutor

The tutor will never be a dead card and its a great way to assure the channeler.

Intuition is amazing because you can guarantee yourself a aura or a channeler (I used in my deck and it was outstanding

I would consider a Mishra's Helix or Opposition also if you have them....stall your opponent

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Worldly Tutor is worth something? I thought it was crap (doesn't quite measure up to anything else with the word "tutor" in it)...

I might have a playset of them too...

T

train

I don't want to suggest blue, that would only increase the chances of me playing against...

Mentioning it on the other hand doesn't necessarily put me "behind" it...

But as Oversoul pointed out - Opposition would be good...;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, but the better your chances of playing against it, the more you get to bust out your Pyroblasts... ;)

T

train

and the pyrokinesis...:D

Alternate cost spells are the ultimate bluff against blue... They really make the opponent think, when I tap out...;)