4 Kodama’s Reach
2 Megrim
2 Recollect
2 Rude Awakening
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
2 Sol Ring
2 Upheaval
2 Windfall

This is my sad attempt to be a “Johnny” combo-player. As you can see there are two kill methods 1.) Quick Mana drops, play Gifts, find Rude Awakening, attack with 2/2 Bears; 2.) Play Upheaval and float three mana (one of them black) and play Megrim after Upheaval has resolved and maybe squeeze in a Windfall for quicker deaths. <-- yes, plural, because this is for multiplayer use.

I’ve been keeping my eye on “Gift” decks as of late and really like the mana acceleration it gets from:
~Sakura Tribe Elder
~Farseek (which fetches the new dual lands)
~Kodama’s Reach

I’ve play-tested this version via “Goldfishing” and have found that most of the time I have 7 to 8 mana sources on the board by turn 4. The Chrome Moxens and Sol Rings really help out,….ALOT!

The Foil is for protection of the combo going off. I’d use Force of Will but I don’t have enough blue cards to throw away for it to be effective. Foil is better in that with the K-Reaches I almost always can be holding a real Island in my hand and not worry about playing it because I’ll have had so much mana out anyway.

Recollect is for that jerky player the gifted me into a tight spot. And obviously Impulse helps me stitch together the combo pieces (I got that from Pros-Bloom).

You’ll notice that I am w-i-d-e open for attacks but that’s because I’m thinking I’ll go off so fast that I won’t NEED protection, just subversive-ness, sleight of hand (no, not the card), and am counting on the young players of the group to be chit-chatting so loud about whatever it is they chit-chat about. Maybe I’ll add in 2x Moment’s Peace, that’s basically four Fogs.

Any suggestions?

S

sageridder

Have you considered perplex?It can dig for some key cards, or act as extra damage if megrim is on the table.A bad matchup for this might be red if they run with sowing salt, price of progress, or a sudden impact in responce to Upheaval so maybe an extra counter or two might be needed.

Killer Joe

Perplex is pretty good for that one-player that isn't dead yet and as for that Sowing Salt/Price of Progress/Sudden Impact player, well, they'll never show up for our tournaments on account that we're too casual and those cards aren't meant for multiplayer. :rolleyes:

D

depolarization

Windfall/Megrim has been mean since the dawn of the printing of these cards.

I also like the idea of splash red for things like...Wheel of Fortune and the like. With so much mana acceleration, why not splishy-splashy stuffs? A few Wheel of Fortunes, a Few Windfalls, a Few Megrims...dodge the flying razor edges of commons getting flung your way :p

Have you considered Wierd Harvest. I know you don't have many creatures...but they might :) Another way to fill their hand with fluffy goodness...but it would have to be sneaky because it's a may-effect.

But the real question is...why do you need 4 Chrome Mox? Is it to empty your hand so windfall/megrim doesn't hurt you so much? Or is that speed just enough to give you a real edge in the game?

Y

YoungBeard

Maybe he just wants to show off his shiny Moxes.

Careful there Killer Joe. Jim and I were both thinking about packing U/B anti-combo decks after a certain 1st-place MML player's attempts to "go infinite" last weekend. Suggest you read Anthony Alongi's "The Ego-Bruisers". Wouldn't want you to be caught in the crossfire. ;)