UBB Hack Requests here!

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Well, I figure there will probably be a bunch of these, so.. new thread!

In the other thread Ferret wanted icons under your name and next to the time. Here's the example site:

www.deathlands.com/cgi-bin/forums/Ultimate.cgi

That is actually pretty easy. I'll do it as soon as I finalize the hack I'm doing now (which I'll explain a little later). I'll just have to steal their icons and..

Anyway, here are some examples of hacks I can put in:
1. ICQ number hack: has the little flower on the post, telling if you are on or off ICQ RIGHT NOW!!
2. AIM hack: kinda like ICQ hack, just not as good. It has some issues with people using AOL though.
3. Homepage hack: this is easy. it displays a link to your website right on your post.
4. Private message hack: this one is iffy. I don't know if I can install it. But what it does is makes the UBB function kinda like email, where you can message individual users, and they'll have to login to get the message.
5. Reply Quoting: umm.. if you want to reply directly to someone, you can quote what they said. good for big threads.
6. Private forums: these would be hard, but I might be able to do it. Make forums that only admins/moderators can get into.
7. Forums where only admins/moderators can post: probably tough, not even sure exactly how to do it.

well, those are just ideas. Just chuck out anything you want. I'll try and see if I can do it.

(Edit: forgot this part

Oh yeah, the hack I'm currently working on. Well, I just made it so that you can delete individual posts within a thread. Get rid of those double posts. Please remember the only way to delete the topic message is to delete the whole thread. Otherwise nothing would make sense!
And I'm about 75% finished making the "closed" icons come up when a thread is closed. That way you don't have to click on the reply button to find out the thread is closed.

-mike
still the UBB genie

[Edited by Ed Sullivan (09-27-1999 at 08:04 PM).]

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Funny thing happened this morning on the official UBB hacking boards...

Someone posted a message called "FreeBB 1.0 released!!!!" and what it was supposed to do was make the freeware UBB (v5.10) act like the full v5.39a with a few hacks already in it. So I download it to check it out...

IT'S THE WHOLE FREAKING FULL v5.39a!!!

That's worse than someone asking for a warez version of the UBB on those boards--this guy actually posted it!!

Anyway, I've been playing around with it on my computer--not like I'm gonna upload it here--and I think I may implement some more features now. Searching is probably going to come 1st, but I'm not sure yet.

If there are any features from the full version you want, it probably wouldn't be too hard to implement them. It wouldn't be cut and paste though.

Oh yeah, on another side note, I just saw Leshrac at those boards. Leshrac is the MOTL owner. So if we ever do decide to drop New Wave and make a partnership with MOTL, at least we know he understands Perl.

-mike
"I'm quoteless.. oh, umm.. forget about that"