U/W Control/Blocker

R

Rakarth

Here's a deck I have had constantly from when I first began playing Magic, it's changed over that time but the theme has always been the same. Mainly because it's how I like to play:D

Big defenders dominate the field and stop creatures attacking and control spells are the back up to stop anything that becomes too dangerous to my blockers. After a few turns of stopping any threat with blockers and spells I lay down a few flyers and go for the throat.

I know it looks like a random mix and I suppose it is so any help on streamlining it and making it more efficient, stripping any redundancies and the like would be great. I'll try put up a report of a game if I can.

Or if someone fancies playing against it on the forums I would welcome a different opponent:)

U/W Control/Blocker Deck
10 Island
8 Plains
2 Azorius Chancery

1 Thoughtbind
3 Shielding Plax
3 Valor Made Real
1 Persuasion
1 Cancel
2 Plumes Of Peace
1 Mark Of Eviction
1 Dawn Charm
1 Boomerang
1 Frozen Aether
2 Convolute
2 Thunderheads

1 Tidewater Minion
2 Minister Of Impediments
1 Jodah's Avenger
1 Wakestone Gargoyle
1 Wall Of Air
2 Giant Oyster
2 Aquamorh Entity
2 Drift Of Phantasms
4 Soulsworn Jury
2 Sky Hussar
2 Primal Plasma
1 Zanam Djinn

Sideboard tends to be
1 Air Elemental
2 Faith's Fetters
2 Plumes Of Peace
2 Stoic Ephemera
2 Tidewalker
1 Tidewater Minion
1 Early Frost
1 Benalish Trapper
2 Cage Of Hands
1 Plains

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, just curious. What IS your card pool that's available to you?

And I'd be happy to play it against a couple of my decks in the forums... you want me to start a thread?

R

Rakarth

Yeh go for it, I really need to start playing against other people :)

My card pool is mostly made up of newer sets I suppose. A lot of Ravnica and a gradually increasing set of Time Spiral and Future Sight.

Although you will see cards like Benalish Trapper and the like that are from older sets which I've picked up from anyone who would give me cards who sell me them for next to nothing:D

I'll still gladly take the advice and card recommendations from anyone as I can always look up the card you recommend and find something else I have that will do the job or work out how to get that effect anyway. I don't play any formats that require specific blocks/sets so any cards you can think of that would help would be great.

So please don't hesitate to recommend me cards that you think I don't have, I'm happy to learn as much as I can about Magic.

Rakarth

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, unfortunately I'm more familiar with cards from the first expansion of Kamigawa backwards :)

Okay, I've started a thread in Games Run for us.

R

rokapoke

Rakarth said:
So please don't hesitate to recommend me cards that you think I don't have, I'm happy to learn as much as I can about Magic.
I would strongly recommend something along the lines of a Serra Angel, which would serve the dual purpose of acting as a flying attacker and, due to vigilance, an imposing blocker. It's one of my favorite creatures, and I once had a R/W control deck featuring four Serras as the only creatures.

R

Rakarth

Seems like a good multipurpose card and most of the creatures are flyers. Vigilance is something I haven't looked for, I went for blockers and then flyers. Would the deck be better with more creatures or counter magic?

I know that the instants/sorceries are a bit unfocused to say the least. Would bounce or counter magic be better or a mix of both? I'm not sure why Persuasion is in there and I'll take it out when I think about it.

Rakarth

R

rokapoke

Mooseman said:
If you are using blue, the combo of tim and Sigil of Sleep is very powerful.
I also recommend Charisma for a Tim-related combo.