U/R Highlander (Good Stuff)

G

Gizmo

This is a casual/competitive deck I keep built up all time to pull out because I enjoy playing it, now reworked for Ravnica and Guildpact cards. I would say it's a mixture of casual and competitive, because obviously being Highlander it's casual, but within the rules of Highlander I pull out the stops to make it as strong as I can with the cards I own (ie, no Ancestral Recall or Thawing Glaciers).

---CREATURES (1)---
(or Djinn Illuminatus, but a 6/6 flyer for RR is pretty strong in a counter deck wanting to leave lands untapped. Shame I can't Muddle for it)

---ARTIFACTS (5)---
Journeyer's Kite (aka Thawing Glaciers: The Artifact Years)
Scroll Rack
Bosium Strip
Shell Of The Last Kappa
Nevinyrral's Disk

---BLUE SPELLS (19)---
Arcane Denial
Memory Lapse
Mana Leak
Power Sink
Muddle The Mixture (Transmute 2 is awesome, took out Merchant Scroll for it)
Counterspell
Forbid
Dissipate
Hinder
Rewind
Jilt
Repeal (replaced Repulse for flexibility)
Capsize
Legacy's Allure
Dominate
Treachery
Peer Throught Depths
Impulse
Fact Or Fiction

---RED SPELLS (8)---
Lightning Bolt
Shock
Firebolt
Incinerate
Pyroclasm
Earthquake
Fault Line
Volcanic Geyser (>Ghitu Fire cos I can Muddle for it)

---GOLD SPELLS (2)---
Electrolyse
Prophetic Bolt

---LAND (25)---
Dust Bowl
Wasteland
Quicksand
Shivan Reef
Steam Vents
Izzet Boilerworks
Faerie Conclave
Mountain x6
Island x12

I love this build - partially because it is very solid with banks of standard effects (eg 10x Counterspells, 12x burn) meaning it's quite consistent for a Highlander deck. But also in there is a ton of search and card advantage that makes it really hard to break down - it finds what it needs when it needs it. The mana curve is extremely low as well, so it's strong from turn 2 onwards, and its practically completely instants. The addition of Muddle The Mixture if very strong as I can search out diverse effects like Counterspell, Incinerate, Pyroclasm, or other card search like Scroll Rack and Journeyer's Kite - it's just a shame I dont own a Powder Keg!

Some cards in there may seem a little strange, like the Shell, but don't forget that once that's in play I get free countermagic on anything targetting me. I dont have to sacrifice it, I can just leave it as a shield against all future nastiness and that's it's main use. Also this deck can really abuse Bosium Strip. I dropped the Djinn Illuminatus out because, simply, I feel like I wont need the card advantage it can give me and would rather have the mana untapped for other spells and abilities after casting a 6/6 Firebreathing win condition.

Still tempted to put an Aether Flash in there. I took it out because people were refusing to play against me, but I think in the token-generating environment after Rav/Pact I might need to be able to end the Saproling threat conclusively.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Sorry, but I'm seeing no replies on this thread, and I know I wrote one earlier today. If it magically reappears, I'll just delete this post. But I said something along the lines of how Thawing Glaciers is so cool and one of my favorite cards and I've used it in every highlander deck I've ever made. But that Kite thing is a nice substitute. If I ever update my collection, I'll have to remember to get one...