U/R Death Spark deck - Work In Progress

G

Gizmo

I want to abuse Death Spark - here's a really cheap recursive spell, very nifty and functional and yet 99% of people totally ignore it. I remember way back 'in the day' Richard Garfield listed it as one of his favourite spells, and I figure it's time to work out why.

Ok, the basics for abusing Death Spark are...

1) creatures you can sacrifice at instant speed (preferably for no cost) thus allowing you to stick a creature above Death Spark and return it to your hand.

2) cards that allow you to discard cards from your hand to generate effects (so that Death Spark isn't just 'Deal 1 damage' but has other effects as well. You could also use these to get creatures in above the Death Spark if need be.

I'm thinking U/R at the moment, but it could end up going B/R to use black graveyard manipulation for the creatures - Ashen Ghouls and Nether Spirits for instance.

Ideas?

J

jorael

Great idea.

For starters, red creatures that seem good:

mogg fanatic: instant sacrifice, cheap, extra damage.
shard phoenix: instant sacrifice, expensive, but board control and recursible.
bloodfire dwarf/kavu: board control, instant sacrifice
Hearth Kami: artifact kill, instant sacrifice

Do you want to go aggro or more control? If aggro style, maybe creatures like ball lightning/ blistering firecat and echo creatures (keldon vandals, Keldon Champion, avalance riders) are also good with the death sparks.

Going goblins seem possible too: mogg fanatic, Arms dealer, goblin sledder, Clickslither, Gempalm Incinerator...

Maybe with black for more creature recursion? --> Pyre Zombie! Black seems to have enough nice creatures too: Festering Goblin, Hell’s Caretaker, Boneshredder, Krovikan Horror, Acidic Sliver...

Hmm, I have a mono red deck with both shard phoenix and mogg fanatic and caltrops. Maybe I should see if I can add some death sparks :cool:

R

Reverend Love

Undead Gladiator, cycle him into the graveyard, use deathspark, Fetch him back.

Nether Shadow for some limited recursion

Necrosavant would be great for putting a creature on top of deathspark.

Krovikan Horror, another recursive critter.

Phyrexian Plaguelord, an excellent control creature.

Goblin Bombardment?

Khabal Ghouls if you got'm. Lots of critters will be making their way to the yard.

Doomed Necromancer/Apprentice Necromancer?

Body Snatcher.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've never actually seen anyone use this with Death Spark, but Squee has built in recursion.

I think an important question is which spellshapers to use. There are a few (not a plethora, but enough for your purposes) decent red ones which could have plenty of ammunition under Death Spark and Squee.

Also, the list of available spellshapers depends on whether you go R/U or R/B...