Type I Issues

M

Mr_Pestilence

Well, it finally happened. In a recent tournament, I'm merrily crushing a control player into the ground with a combination of land destruction and a Sengir Vampire, when he uses evil artifact mana to cast Panoptic Mirror imprinted w/ Time Walk.

In case you aren't familiar with this POS, PM allows you to cast the spell imprinted upon it WITHOUT PAYING ITS MANA COST.

So even though this clown had no blue mana available, he could take turn after turn for free, while I never got a turn for the rest of the "game". I use quotation marks because this had ceased to be a contest, and suddenly become a one-sided exhibition match.

Isochron Sceptre is bad enough, but I feel the restrictions on the nature and casting cost of the imprinted spell keep it from being too broken, although when imprinted w/ Counterspell or Boomerang, this definitely falls into the category of very annoying.

I think Panoptic Mirror should be banned in type I to prevent this type of abuse.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Don't play Type 1, but here are my thoughts:

You say you're playing LD, but not sure if you're dealing with artifact mana as well. In Type 1, it seems you ought to be prepared for it (i.e artifacts in general), especially with the Mirrodin block stuff like Scepter and whathaveyou.

The Mirror costs 5 plus the 2 needed to imprint the Time Walk, so that's 7 mana. Granted, it's a Time Walk, but still a nice investment. I'm not sure why you let him get to 7 mana, but if he did, he's probably grateful :)

Anyway, I'd like to hear rakso's thoughts (though he hasn't sent me any links lately) but my gut feeling is that it's not broken, just strong (like Type 1). Decks probably need to adjust to handle more artifacts.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You mentioned Null Rod in one of the Decks threads... could be an easy counter to the Mirror (and Scepter and whatever else is floating around).

T

train

Oh... Null rod was god when it came out - to me at least...

Everyone ran Disk, disk disk disk...

Then I slapped down a null rod, and it was slim pickings...

M

Mr_Pestilence

My opponent had no land in play, but had drawn 2 Moxen, Sol Ring, and Black Lotus. He was at 2 life when he took over the game.

Should entire colors or deck archetypes be made obsolete just because they can't deal w/ artifacts?

I guess I could play Null Rod, Disk or even Gate to Phyrexia, it's just disappointing that Type I is basically "play Blue or lose - badly".

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
No offense, but it sounds like you're playing black. Of course you're not going to be able to deal with artifacts. At least well.

And though I don't think it's "play blue or lose", in Type 1, blue is pretty much the strongest color, thanks to the early design mistakes and its inherent card-drawing. <shrug>

T

train

yet another reason for me to say it...

blue stinks...

Null rod would do the trick... and it even stops the mana abilities...

C

chris92

i agree with spidey, playing in type 1, you don't give your opponent a chance to cast such a high costing spell.

i love the disk. but i put it ancient runes in my sligh, just to deal with artifact heavy decks.