Type 2 White Prison

M

Mordecai

Well, my unofficial motto is "I suck at playing Magic, but I can build decks." This is one of those decks that could win if played by somebody with some semblance of skill. I took it to a local Type 2 tournament and got schooled because I made mistakes. By the way, this was a local tournament in a pseudo-casual environment.

The cool part is: this deck works pretty well in multiplayer too.

3 Wrath of God
4 Enlightened Tutor
2 Scent of Jasmine

3 Story Circle
4 Seal of Cleansing
2 Worship
1 Planar Collapse
1 Pariah
1 Ivory Mask
1 RoP: Artifacts

2 Powder Keg
3 Thran Foundry
2 Distorting Lens
3 Ticking Gnomes
2 Barbed Wire
1 Storage Matrix
1 Wall of Junk

20 Plains
4 Forbidding Watchtower

Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated. Also, if you have any questions regarding card choices, feel free to ask.

G

Gryphonclaw

Um.... more creatures?
You only have the four watchtowers to power the worship, maybe an academy rector or 2?
And what about opal acrolith?
Other than that it looks pretty good, maybe another pariah or 2, and a replenish.

M

Mordecai

Just a note: there are also 3 Ticking Gnomes and a Wall of Junk to fuel Worship--just so you know.

I had tinkered with the idea of putting a Replenish or two in here. After a matchup against a Hermetic Crab deck which I would have won had I had Replenish, I think that might be the way to go. (Scour the Hermetic Study and he goes into beatdown mode with about 10 1/1 flyers...go figure)

Z

Zadok001

You have a _ton_ of removal, but not much in the way of 'Win' cards... Have you considered giving the deck a less controlling aspect, perhaps via Serra Avatars or Palidin Blah-Blah (the 1WW pro-red-black 2/2 first striker)? Both combo nicely with your basic idea (control, then win), and the Avatars add an anti-decking tactic, as well as a HUGE BIG MONSTER THING RUNNING AT YOUR OPPONENT'S HEAD. :)

"Jesus! It's BIG!"

D

Duel

Quick check: there's a white enchantment that says "whenever a creature is put in your graveyard, you may search your library for a copy of this cxreature and put it into play". Is this an infinite combo with avenging angel and goblin bombardment? an extended legal one, no less?

T

The Magic Jackal

oh, it's rememberance, but i think you have to sac it too.

M

Mordecai

It goes into your hand, not into play.

Well, here's what I've got for kill cards in the deck (and I'll be the first to admit that it's a crappy selection)

1.)Ticking Gnomes--the decks Beating Stick. Since it can get rid of itself to deal damage, it allows me to Wrath pretty much at will.

2.)Barbed Wire--the card sets up a clock--a bad clock. The card looks kind of decent, but in reality sucks. I definitely need something better. The Avatar is tempting...

3.)Decking--with 3 Thran Foundries, they're SURE to run out of cards before me...as long as I don't die in the process.

Thanks for your help!

Killer Joe

A prison deck, at least in the days when Gaea's Blessing and Gerrard's Wisdom were around, usually meant that there was little to no kill cards. I once played a "La Bastille di Prison" type deck with:
Winter Orb
Proaganda
Wrath of God
Armageddon
Gaea's Blessing
Gerrard's Wisdom
Mana Rocks
less than 8 counter type spells
and NO kill card, yup, I could NOT kill my opponent. I nicknamed the deck 'Say,Uncle'(for those of you who don't know this meaning: Typically an older brother or a neighborhood bully would wrestle you down to the ground and twist your arm around your back and tell you to say "Uncle", a symbolic word for admitting submission to that person, yeah, the 60's & 70's were a whole different world then).
Anyhow, my opponents would concede because of the lock-down.
I remember not getting invited to a couple nights of multi-payers games due to that deck.

M

Mordecai

You're exactly right. The whole point of a "Prison" deck has traditionally been to not die and watch your opponent squirm until he runs out of cards.

C

Chaos Turtle

Yellowjacket!
I played a deck very similar to that one! Wow. I didn't know it had a name...
I did have a kill card, though, Avenging Angel.
One of my fondest Magic memories is playing that deck in a local tourney. This woman would not give up! She said, "You can't counter everything..."
I played Gaea's Blessing (for Counter-Counter-Blessing) and said, "Watch Me."