type 2 "DARK WAVE" deck needs advice

A

alpine_beaver

hello everyone. this is my type 2 B/U merfolk deck that i have named "DARK WAVE". the deck is pretty solid, but it needs to be modified so that it can become a lot better for states. all comments and help is appreciated.

Creatures(20):

4 rootwater thief
4 vodalian merchant
4 vodalian zombie
4 lord of atlantis
4 waterfront bouncer

Spells(16):

4 counterspell
4 undermine
4 snuff out
4 recoil

Lands(24):

4 rishadan port
4 underground river
4 salt marsh
6 swamp
4 island

SB:

3 perish
3 dread of night
3 chill
3 cremate
3 teferi's response

G

Griffith_se

Can't think of anything, looks pretty solid to Me.

Maybe one or two Lobotomy? Massacre in the sideboard?

R

Ristik

Griffith... Massacre in the sb??? Are you insane? Massacre is what you sb AGAINST this deck... None of the creatures here can survive a Massacre; why would you use it?

W

Whimsical

Is it just moi? Or do you have too few islands in there? Lessee ... off the bat, you have Counterspell, Undermine, and Lord Fish ... all of which require UU in their casting costs. Better juggle the mana around a bit. If you do want to keep the current mana-base, I'd suggest Prohibit over Counterspell. While not as effective, you're not running a pure control deck either. ;)

4 Rishadan Ports seem a tad bit overkill. But hey, I'm an extended format player ... so maybe the T-2 meta-game requires it. I rather drop one or two and go with Lobotomy ... as Griffy suggested. Even without the speed burst of Dark Ritual, Lobotomy is still a viable option (with Dark Rit though, I'd run 4 maindeck immediately).

Sleeper's Robe is very much missing from the deck too. The potential card advantage is too much too pass out on ... and since you have the Lords of Atlantis to pump the fish, you take them out of range of the majority of T-2 cheese.

Wash-out would help against a swarm deck (most likely W/G nowadays). Better stick it in the sideboard though ... just in case you run into a mirror match. Don't want you washing out your own fishies now do we?

I realize all these card suggestion would make the deck lose its aggresive beatdown and turn more control-oriented. Hmmmm... as usual, your deck, your life. The final tuning is always yours. :)

G

Griffith_se

Griffith... Massacre in the sb??? Are you insane? Massacre is what you sb AGAINST this deck... None of the creatures here can survive a Massacre; why
would you use it?
Geez...

Um, dumb idea, I was just thinking that the Lords might put them out of Massacre range. Oh well.

G

Gizmo

Yep, because Massacre would kill the Lords, thus making all the Fish 2/2 as well.

Snarf.

I think the mana is screwed up, look at the 'U/B Pile' thread, that`s about Fish.

G

Griffith_se

I assumed that He just got the swamps and islands backward.

A

alpine_beaver

thanks for the suggestions, i will take them in to consideration. anyway, i made a mistake last nite when i posted the deck. i'm supposed to have 6 swamps and 6 islands.

G

galtwish

I'd go 6 Swamp/8 Island and no Salt Marsh, 'cause you don't want to have one after the 1st turn. Wash Out is great, because if you play against Blue, all your creatures Islandwalk (hopefully). Maybe replace Snuff Out with Wash Out, but that depends heavily on how many Blastodems you will be facing.

Erik

P

Purple_jester

I prefer playing with only 2 of the new duals. They do slow you for a turn, and you never want to be stuck with 2 simultaneously in your opening draw. If you want to keep the land balance the way it is, then you still need to skew the mana ratio to blue. 12 spells requiring UU and ZERO spells requiring BB. Also, while you have only 16 black spells (4 of which have an ACC), you have 32 blue spells.

I therefore recommend that your 12 basic lands be thus: 4 Swamps, 8 Islands.

Well, the Vodalian Zombies will shut down any Blastoderm they face. But I would recommend playing with at least 1 Wash Out for emergency purposes. Maybe replace 1 Snuff Out or 1 Recoil with Wash Out. Putting in a single Fact or Fiction wouldn't hurt either. ;)

F

FoundationOfRancor

Creatures (22)
- 4 Lord of Atlantis
- 4 Vodalian Zombie
- 4 Ravenous Rats
- 4 Rootwater Theif
- 2 Faire Squardron
- 2 Waterfront Bouncers

Spells (18)
- 3 Parrlax Tide
- 4 Sleepers Robe
- 4 Prohibit
- 3 Undermine
- 4 Recoil

Land (20)
- 4 Underground River
- 4 City of Brass
- 4 Port
- 5 Island
- 3 Swamp

This is my take on the whole "Dark Tide" deck.

Good name btw!

C

Cateran Emperor

Um, everyone missed something. He only has twenty-two lands. The deck's only 58 cards.

A

alpine_beaver

as i stated before, i messed up when i entered the deck. the deck is 60 cards if u include the two islands that i left out in my first post.