Type 1 burn!

T

TylersOnFire

Anyone want to suggest a type 1 burn deck for me? I like burn a lot and type 2 doesnt have much 2 offer. i like shock, bolt, disintegrate, insinerate and bloodlust.
Thanks\
Tyler

F

FoundationOfRancor

- 4 Ball lightning
- 4 Shock
- 4 Lighting Bolt
- 4 Firestorm
- 4 Cursed Scroll
(20)
- 4 Incinerate
- 4 Seal of Fire
- 4 Flame Rift
- 4 Earthquake
- 4 Scent of Cinder
(20)
- 4 Mox Diamond
- 1 Mox Ruby
- 1 Black Lotus
- 14 Mountain

D

Duel

Okay. Now a deck that won't make you broke. It won't win any tournaments either, mind you, but it'll be fun.

4 Lightning bolts (duh)
4 Shock
4 Incinerate (don't underrate this for river boa/albino troll usage)
4 Raging goblins
4 Goblin Bombardments
4 mogg fanatics
4 Reckless abandons
4 Lightning blasts
2 Ball lightnings
4 Blood lust
4 fling
4 Flame colkmn thingy (the nemesios one)
2 bosium strips

A

Apollo

I won some small Type 1 tournaments (about 10 people, all under 16) with this Sligh deck a while back. Warning, though: it is pretty boring to play with after a while. To quote Wakefield: "Boom, Boom, boom. Red is so dumb."

4 goblin lackey
4 mogg fanatic
4 mogg flunky
4 ball lightning
2 goblin mutant
4 jackal pup

4 cursed scroll
4 lightning bolt
4 incinerate
2 seal of fire
4 fireblast

20 mountain

I guess if you have the money, you'd add in some moxes, lotus, or whatever, but it works pretty well without it.

If there are a lot of creature decks around, I have an Ensnaring Bridge deck that's a lot more interesting, but not as efficient at killing them.

4 ensnaring bridge
4 seal of fire
4 shock
4 cursed scroll
4 incinerate
3 fireblast
2 seismic assault
2 hammer of bogardan
2 Earthquake
2 Zuran Orb

4 mogg fanatic

25 mountain

If you can live long enough to stabilize with the Bridge, you will win every time. If you care, I've got a burn with land destruction, a r/g burn deck, another r/g that uses elves for huge disintegrates and fireballs, and one on the front page based on Dingus Staff. If you want decklists for any of these, email me at Apollo9119@Aol.com

Apollo

I

Istanbul

Apollo - That's not burn, that's sligh. There IS a difference.

Duel - Ditto.

Foundation of Rancor - Can I borrow about $500? Because that's what it'd take to make that deck.

Here you go. Here's my T1 burn deck, one I actually use.

MONEY CARDS:
1x Wheel of Fortune
1x Fork
4x Howling Mine (hear me out)

CREATURE CONTROL (not counting the burn):
3x Ensnaring Bridge
4x Earthquake

BURN:
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Incinerate
4x Fireblast
4x Kindle
4x Chain Lightning
4x Thunderbolt
4x Shock

LAND:
16x Mountain
1x Smoldering Crater

Howling Mine really is a godsend. It'll help you more often than it'll help your opponent. Smoldering Crater is experimental, to be cycled if I get it when I have enough land. I'm also constantly tinkering with the mana mix in this thing; I think it needs one more Mountain. A Thunderbolt will probably come out for it. Also, you'll note that there are NO creatures in this deck. Not only will you never be affected by your own Bridge, but any anti-creature spell in your opponent's deck is useless.

Second-place burn cards (to be used if you have a hard time getting Bolts or Chain Lightnings):
Sonic Burst
Flame Rift
Lightning Blast

SIDEBOARD:
4x Scald
4x Pyroblast
3x Anarchy
4x Viashino Heretic

If you play first and lay down Scald second turn, a blue mage may as well scoop. Pyroblast gets rid of those pesky counters, Anarchy destroys irritating COPs, and Viashino Heretics are in there for artifact destruction juuuuuust in case. (It's T1. Expect Moxen.) I'm considering switching the Heretics out for Price of Progress, though, because dual lands are almost everywhere in T1.

Just some thoughts.

I

Istanbul

Why Howling Mine and Ensnaring Bridge in the same deck, you ask? Simple. Most spells in this deck cost 1 or 2 to cast, meaning you can be almost certain of emptying your hand each turn by the time you have a Mine in play.

Also, here's a possible game for this deck.

Turn 1: Draw 7, Mountain, Bolt, go. 5 in hand. Opponent at 17 life.
Turn 2: Draw. Mountain, Bolt, Chain, go. 3 in hand. Opponent at 11 life.
Turn 3: Draw. Mountain, Chain, Tap remaining lands for RR, Fireblast, Fork. Opponent at 0 life.

Granted, that's ideal, but situations close to it aren't hard to come by. Fireblast/Fork DOES work, BTW, as you don't have to sacrifice another 2 mountains.

D

Dune Echo

TAG GUARD

If you're playing Type 1, wouldn't Gorilla Shaman (AKA Mox Monkey) be better? It's a first turn drop and doesn't tap to destoy Moxes for 1.

M

Mundungu

4 lightning bolt
4 shock
4 Kindle
2 seismic assault
2 Kaeverk Torch
4 incinerate
4 ball lightning
4 mogg maniac/fanatic
4 pyroblast
1 viashino (I think it is sadn scout, that return to your hand at end of combat)

1 wheel of fortune
1 fork
1 mox rubis (???)
4 howling mine (completely agree with Istambul)
20 Mountains

D

Dune Echo

TAG GUARD

You want Type 1 burn? I have tons of burn for you:

“Spanky Red Barn”
Colors: Red
Created by:
Description/Theme: Stupid Red Burn
Source: Scrye #

Red:
4 Ball Lightning
2 Earthquake
4 Fireblast
4 Incinerate
4 Kindle
3 Lightning Blast
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Shock
1 Wheel of Fortune

Artifacts:
1 Black Lotus
4 Cursed Scroll
1 Mox Ruby

Lands:
16 Mountain
1 Strip Mine
3 Wasteland

Sideboard:
3 Havoc
4 Nevinyrral’s Disk
4 Pyroblast
2 Ruination
2 Shattering Pulse

“Kiss My Blast”
Colors: Red
Created by: Kheng Ang
Description/Theme: Most efficient and cheap burn spells to smack your opponent, and only your opponent with
Source: Magic Campus

Red:
4 Chain Lightning
4 Fireblast
4 Flame Jet
4 Guerilla Tactics
4 Incinerate
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Thunderbolt
4 Scent of Cinder
4 Seismic Assault
4 Shock

Artifacts:
4 Steel Golem

Lands:
3 Dwarven Ruins
15 Mountain
1 Shivan Gorge

There you go.

D

Duel

Actually, unde no conditions do I ever suggest attacking more than twice with any goblin in my deck, or in fact, in any deck. they're there to fuel the bombardments.

A

Apollo

Istanbul:
Yes, Istanbul. There is a difference between Sligh and burn. My deck is not Sligh. Sligh is a deck based on a mana curve, designed to use all of its mana every turn. It contains cheap reusable sources of damage like Fireslingers, Death Sparks, or Orcish Artillery. It contains no more than one or two Ball Lightnings (usually none) because it is sort of a control deck that happens to kill them with a few weenies. It usually will not contain Fireblasts because they kill your land and thus make you start to lose control of the game. In fact, my style deck is most often called "Stupid Red Burn." That's burn, as in what Tyler asked for.

Plus, the other deck I suggested was extremely close to your "burn deck", just without the Mines and Fork/Weel of Fortune.

By the way, why play a terrible card like Thunderbolt, which can't do a thing against most creatures, when you can have a Seal of Fire, which costs one less and can come out to get you under the Bridge yet stick around till you really need it.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I think you guys missed Dune's point about the Mox Monkeys. If you ain't playin' with 'em, you need to be able to deal with 'em! :D

Here's my Type 1 deck. It's got plenty of burn, though the burn is usually used to open the path for the Mishras and the Statues, at least until the end game. The most dangerous cards in the deck? The Bosium Strips! They are absolutely unbelievable once they get going...

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Chain Lightning
4 Incinerate
4 Howling Mine
4 Icy Manipulator
2 Relic Barrier
2 Bosium Strip
4 Jade Statue
2 Masticore
2 Disenchant
1 Argivian Find
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Candelabra of Tawnos
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Sol Ring
1 Mishra's Workshop
4 Mishra's Factory
4 Plateau
4 Badlands
3 Mountain
2 Plains

SB: 1 Maze of Ith
SB: 2 Circle of Protection: Red
SB: 1 Dust to Dust
SB: 1 Disenchant
SB: 2 Aura of Silence
SB: 2 Anarchy
SB: 2 Pyroclasm
SB: 4 Pyroblast

I know it's an expensive deck, but for the most part you can substitute basic lands for the Moxen and Lotus. Probably for the Workshop too. Chimeric Staffs (staves?) would be a good substitute for the Statues, and the Candelabra isn't really neccessary either (it does make bigger Mishras though :) ). The rest of the cards are relatively cheap.

The important point is that the burn is used to take out your opponent's creatures, unless it can be used to take out your opponent. I've found that burn only decks can be relatively fragile against U/W control decks (which abound in T1), and they aren't really that much fun to play even when they work.

Hope that helps! :D