Tribond: Question 12 Answer & Scores!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
This is a CHALLENGE! As always, you can answer once per day and anyone can jump in at anytime.

The category is Miscellaneous.

What do these three have in common?

Monday's Clue: HOWARD
Tuesday's Clue: ???
Wednesday's Clue: ???

PM your answer by Tuesday, 10/17 by 7:00 AM EDT.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, this must not be as hard as I thought. Five people already got it for 3 points.

Tuesday's Clue: DONALD
Wednesday's Clue: ???

This is for 2 points. PM your guess by 7:00 AM EDT Wednesday, 10/18. Anyone can jump in and answer

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Must be getting more easier. Six people got it for 2 points.

Tuesday's Clue: DONALD
Wednesday's Clue: DAFFY

This is for 1 point. PM your guess by 7:00 AM EDT Thursday, 10/19. Anyone can jump in and answer.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Answer: They're ducks.

One person got it for 1 pt. Here's the breakdown:

For 3 pts: DarthFerret, EricBess, mythosx, sageridder, TomB
For 2 pts: Melkor, Mooseman, Oversoul, Ransac, rokapoke, train
For 1 pt: Limited

Scores:

EricBess: 13
TomB: 13

Oversoul: 12
sageridder: 12
train: 12

DarthFerret: 11
Melkor: 11
rokapoke: 11

Ransac: 10

Mooseman: 9

turgy22: 8

Limited: 6
Lythand: 6
mythosx: 6

cardboardbox: 0

L

Limited

Not having heard of Howard Duck certainly makes the question a lot harder :(

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
My first thought was the Three Stooges
Then I went with Ron Howard and child actors...... Silly me.......

E

EricBess

My wife thought of Ron Howard also when i ran the question by her, but I had already submitted my answer by then. I was pretty sure it was Ducks right from the get go since there were obvious follow ups, one that seemed innocent and one that gave it away...

L

Limited

I also guessed actors because of Ron Howard.. then Donald didn't help me much..

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Could have been rich guys....
Howard Huges and Donald Trump.... Daffy, would be a tough one.......

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I guessed "middle names of US presidents" on the first day. Unfortunately, I forgot that these categories have usually been very simple. Now I'm out of the lead. Stupid challenge questions...

R

rokapoke

Oversoul said:
Stupid challenge questions...
I think the challenge should be to guess the third connected word. For example...

DAY ONE
>Howard

If you guess "Donald," you get 2 pts.
If you guess "Daffy," you get 3 pts.

DAY TWO
>Howard
>Donald

If you guess Daffy, you get 2 pts.

DAY THREE
>Howard
>Donald
>Daffy

If you guess that they're ducks, you get 1 pt.

But that's just my humble opinion. Thoughts?

L

Limited

But then, even if you've figured what is the connecting thing, you might get it wrong. And most of the questions don't have a specific order.. so which would be the 2 pt and which would the 3 pt answer?

D

DarthFerret

Spiderman said:
Must be getting more easier. Six people got it for 2 points.

Merely proof that Grammer check has spoiled America! :D

I guessed correctly right off the bat, but I figured that I would be way off. I mean come on, Howard the Duck? .. You have to have my wierd mentality to figure that out right away!

E

EricBess

Hey, I'm all for that rokapoke...

Actually it might not work in general. For example, on the last one, "Dove" was the day 1 clue and the answer was "Soaps", but there are enough soaps with inocuous sounding names that it would be very hard to figure out.

This one was a bit easier. Oversoul - it's not that they are "easier" so much as they have to follow a pattern. The first day has to seem very open ended and not an easy tie to the actual answer. The second can be a bit more mainstream, but still sound vague. The third clue is always a "giveaway".

The trick isn't trying to look too deep for a link, but to figure out what there is about the first clue that could link to the two other clue.

I guess saying they are "easier" is sort of right because there has to be something that is a "giveaway" answer and I can't think of anything that would work that way for "President's middle names" ;)

M

mythosx

DarthFerret said:
Merely proof that Grammer check has spoiled America! :D

I guessed correctly right off the bat, but I figured that I would be way off. I mean come on, Howard the Duck? .. You have to have my wierd mentality to figure that out right away!

I took a gamble...it was either ducks or billionares...i figured ducks since hughes also fits into famous crazy people.

T

train

I answered Ron Howard the first day as a movie director...

I thought of Howard the duck - but didn't see it coming...

I thought it might be howard, spielberg, etc...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
DarthFerret said:
I mean come on, Howard the Duck? .. You have to have my wierd mentality to figure that out right away!
Not weird, exactly...I kinda liked that movie...It marked the first time I fell in love with Leah Thompson...:D

Melkor

Actually, Howard the Duck was the very first thing I thought of, unfortunately, I didn't answer the first day, I have a weird tick about delaying on these things which has cost me dearly in this particular game. As Ericbess said, you've got to meta-game this, what could be an answer that would be connected by three things. Directors is actually a good one, but I'd figure it's too broad for a game like this. Too many directors out there, not nearly as many famous "ducks."

T

train

Well - If the first word was Peking, or Orange - I would have probably put Duck, instead of Directors...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
EricBess said:
This one was a bit easier. Oversoul - it's not that they are "easier" so much as they have to follow a pattern.
I said "simple." The connections have usually been something that can be described in one or two words. "Middle names of US presidents" cannot.