Tournament-Poker (Casual)

Killer Joe

I'm hosting my first ever "Poker Night" with the guys from work. I haven't played often, in fact, the last time I DID play was last year with Mooseman after a PTQ.

I'm a 'bad player' I like keeping hands like 7/2 unsuited and stay the whole way until the last card is flopped.

We're playing Texas Hold'em and Mooseman gave me a Small/Large Blind schedule to follow and I'm pretty sure I know the basic rules of the game.

I have a list of how the ranks of hands work and what key terms mean like: "Call", "Fold" & "Raise" but I have NO SKILL at how to use betting effectively.

I read "Poker Nation" once before but I'm still not sure how to play well.

I need advice! :rolleyes:

btw - Hey Mooseman, are ya commin'!? I invited Bibgun :p

D

DarthFerret

The best I can tell you, is to look at how many people are playing at your table. If you have 5 or more people, then I myself would only stay on an initial hand of a pair, a suited set that is no more than 2 cards apart, or an unsutied royalty set (King, Queen, Jack, or Ace)

If you stick with a 5 spds / K hrts set, the best you can really hope for is a pair of kings, because the pair of 5's you might get are so low, that you are liable to be beat by another 2 pair combo or a 3 of a kind. Just remember, that it is rare to get higher than 3 of a kind in any poker game. It does happen, and watch your opponents betting and thier eyes. I dont mean try to be a professional player, but just look at thier eyes if they bet high. Sometimes it can tell you if they are bluffing. For my part, I will never bluff for at least the first 10-20 hands. That way, people think that I just play the cards, then when I do bluff, they won't know it, and will think I have a really good hand.

That is really all I can tell you, I am not a very good poker player, but I have done ok a couple of times.

Good luck!

H

HOUTS

Advice?
You're kidding right?

It's not hard kiddie. Pre-flop, stick with high poker pairs (10 & up), along with high unpaired cards, like A-K, A-Q, A-J, or J-10, Q-K.

After the flop, it's just basic math. What is the best possibility out on the board, and do you think someone is better appropiately to dictate that hand he/she could have to beat you.

Ta Da!

Oh, nevermind...stick to your basement casual MTG games..

HOUTS

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
DarthFerret said:
Just remember, that it is rare to get higher than 3 of a kind in any poker game. It does happen, and watch your opponents betting and thier eyes. I dont mean try to be a professional player, but just look at thier eyes if they bet high. Sometimes it can tell you if they are bluffing.
Good advise to lose money by.... hehe
If your looking at their eyes, you're not looking at your cards. Don't bluff if you don't know how. Play your cards and remember, if you fold a mediocre hand you can play another.

Best advise is don't call big bets on inside straight draws or 2nd/3rd pairs.

But, most of all, have fun.

H

HOUTS

If your looking at their eyes, you're not looking at your cards.

LOL!

Yeah, because it's SOOOO hard to remember the TWO cards you have, and figure what you have with the board.

LoL!

Come play at my home games-please!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Seems the troll is back.

I'll bet he is also an accomplished poker player and has two or three bracelets......

Edit: Oh No I fed the troll.........

H

HOUTS

Seems the troll is back.

I'll bet he is also an accomplished poker player and has two or three bracelets......

Edit: Oh No I fed the troll.........

Please do not feed his ignorance.

O

orgg

One big tip-- don't look at your starting hand until it is your turn to act: You can pick up a LOT of information by glancing at the people who are 'preaction peekers.' Someone with a decent hand will start watching the people who the action is on, and those without will not be as intense. Sometimes, you can call blind just by seeing their reactions.

Second tip-- large hands, like a pair of tens or better, or Ace-King, you want to raise about twice the size of the pot to push everyone who has a weaker drawing hand out of the action, or just steal the blinds and antes.

Third tip-- If you have a weak hand and decide to play it, lean back in your chair and hook your arms around your head, then close your eyes. If you convincingly look relaxed, most people will give you credit for a good hand and fold. However, if you have no draw or chance in hell, and are raised, go ahead and fold.

Fourth Tip-- The money you've put in the pot is IN THE POT. Don't think of it as your own, and don't try to "protect" it. If it seems like someone has you beaten, FOLD.

Fifth Tip-- Howard Letterer's DVDs are useful. Phil Hellmouth's are... well, not: Ace Five suited is NOT as strong as Ace Ten suited as he inferrs.

D

DarthFerret

lol....too bad I cannot hop on a plane and join y'all tonight!

Killer Joe

We had 2 $10 buy-in tournaments.
I was out first in the first one and out 3rd. in the second one.

We had 7 players:
Mooseman (Broke even, I think)
Killer Joe (Lost $20)
Bibgun (Won big ca$h both tourneys)
Navy Seal Bill (Won the second tourney)
Dave* (lost $20)
Lou* (Lost $20)
Don* (Broke even)

*These guys are from work and so I used their normal names because they aren't "geeky gamers" like the rest of us. I had on NCAA basketball on all night to give the appearance of being "normal". In fact, I actually tried to pay attention to the basketball games that we were watching (Pitt vs. Villanova).

I kept LOTS of bad hands like 7-2 unsuited (I really like long-shots :eek: ). Mooseman has skills but Bibgun has a ton-of-luck and took Mooseman for his pot-o-ca$h in tourney two :)

I had a lot of fun and thanks to Mooseman for making it an honest tourney!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Killer Joe said:
We had 7 players:
Mooseman (Broke even)
Killer Joe (Lost $20)
Bibgun (won $50)
Navy Seal Bill (Won $10)
Dave* (lost $20)
Lou* (Lost $20)
Don* (Broke even)
Killer Joe said:
Mooseman has skills but Bibgun has a ton-of-luck and took Mooseman for his pot-o-ca$h in tourney two :)
HaHaHa...... I had Jack 10 or 9 and the flop was Jack 5 2, I went all in and Bibgun asked me if I had the Jack and I said yes and he called anyhow with A2...... he has about 20% chance to win and dang if he didn't hit the 2......

Killer Joe said:
I had a lot of fun and thanks to Mooseman for making it an honest tourney!
It was fun and if you do it again, I'll be there..... Just leave Bibgun at home. :D