Top 10 not so obvious artifacts of all time

A

Al0ysiusHWWW

So for Oversoul's and my blog, we're doing a list of the top 200 enchantments of all time. We're starting to move on to our next list, artifacts.

I have over 200 artifacts, but some of them are actually not that amazing. I want to see if you guys have any suggestions for the top ten not so obvious artifacts of all time. For example: I'd like to avoid suggestions like Sol Ring and Mox Diamond, and more things like Voltaic Construct and Staff of Dominance.

At the end of the suggestions we'll do a poll and I'll reflect it on my list somewhere... in some manner... maybe.... when I post it on the blog.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Really?... Staff of Dominance?... It's okay.... but nothing I'd warrant putting in a list.

Lemme look at my binder....

Bottle Gnomes?
Heartstone? (come on, you know you love slivers)
Sword of Fire and Ice?
Stuffy Doll?
Cursed Scroll (a bit more than obvious, though)
Oblivion Stone?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ransac;283794 said:
Really?... Staff of Dominance?... It's okay.... but nothing I'd warrant putting in a list.

I believe I was the one who suggested Staff of Domination, so perhaps I should try to justify it. I find it to be a very strong card.

You know how some creatures can tap for five or more mana? Staff of Domination untaps a creature and itself for four, so that's infinite mana right there. And since you already have Staff of Domination, that easily means tapping all of your opponent's creatures, untapping all of your creatures, infinite life, and drawing as many cards as you want. So basically you win. This seems to be the main reason that Metalworker is banned in Legacy. And in Vintage, where Metalworker is allowed, Staff of Domination shows up alongside it. While it's not the strongest Workshop strategy in Vintage it can and has won tournaments and will likely do so in the future.

In Legacy, they use Priest of Titania instead and it's very good. Even cut off from such creatures, Staff of Domination is a pretty good utility card (and I'm a big fan of combos with components that are good outside the combo). I've seen Staff of Domination used in Legacy decklists where it's not being used to go infinite at all and its utility function (it does have four abilities, not counting the one that lets it untap itself) is what's actually desired. The thing that might turn people off to Staff of Domination is that the abilities ramp up in mana cost and become rather expensive, but it's really the first three you'll be using most of the time and in the right deck, you'll have plenty of mana anyway. It's been used successfully alongside Cabal Coffers Helldozer to wreck the opponent's mana supply.

So in summation, it easily allows for two-card infinite combos and is a solid card even when not used for infinitity purposes.

Lemme look at my binder....

Bottle Gnomes?
Heartstone? (come on, you know you love slivers)
Sword of Fire and Ice?
Stuffy Doll?
Cursed Scroll (a bit more than obvious, though)
Oblivion Stone?
I think those are all good suggestions, although yeah, Cursed Scroll is probably on the obvious side. But that depends on the players, as maybe players who started later wouldn't remember how good Cursed Scroll was.

Anyway, what do people think of Oblivion Stone. I've played against it a little and it seems to work. The mana cost (especially if you want to protect a lot of your stuff) makes me wary, but you'd be using it in a control deck anyway.

I do think Heartstone is a bit on the weak side and maybe wouldn't make a cut. But it is a cool card and I used to use it with Sliver Queen way too much...

A

Al0ysiusHWWW

Oblivion stone is a good board sweeper, but i think it's the worst of the artifact ones. It doesn't need to wait a turn, but to make it go off the same turn you play it you need like 8 mana.

I think the fate counter thing is a gimmick. I've seen it used, but come on, without it hitting lands, what really are you going to lose that will lose you the game?

M

Modus Pwnens

Let's see, in no particular order:

-Umezawa's Jitte
-Sensei's Divining Top
-Powder Keg
-Crucible of Worlds
-Darksteel Colossus
-Trinisphere
-Metalworker
-Platinum Angel
-Duplicant
-Smokestack
-Mindslaver
-Nevvy Disk
-Vedalken Shackles
-Masticore
-Triskelion
-Coalition Relic
-Skullclamp
-Engineered Explosives
-Memory Jar

D

DarthFerret

As a player of the original game (pre Arabian Nights), I will always have a special place in my heart for Icy Manipulator. It may not be on your top ten list, however it is arguably one of the better ones. The versatility alone is excellent.

I assume also that you are avoiding ones that can be broken such as Time Vault?

I also liked the Winter Orb and Static Orbs (prefer the Winter Orb, but that is my nostalgia again).

And of course, last, (and not least) is the ever popular Nevinryal's Disk!

I hate Jitte. Yes it should probably be up there...but I just hate that card

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Oversoul;283795 said:
I believe I was the one who suggested Staff of Domination, etc, etc, etc...
After reading your explanation, I was completely flabbergasted at your screnarios for the artifact..... until I typed it into gatherer and realized that I was mistaking Scepter of Dominance for it... Forget I said anything about it. Carry on.

Modus Pwnens said:
-Umezawa's Jitte
-Sensei's Divining Top
-Powder Keg
-Crucible of Worlds
-Darksteel Colossus
-Trinisphere
-Metalworker
-Platinum Angel
-Duplicant
-Smokestack
-Mindslaver
-Nevvy Disk
-Vedalken Shackles
-Masticore
-Triskelion
-Coalition Relic
-Skullclamp
-Engineered Explosives
-Memory Jar
Out of these, D. Top, Skull Clamp and Memory Jar are extremely obvious, imho. I'd also claim Mindslaver to be obvious.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Cursed Totem really does it thing in multiplayer.... like getting a target painted on you.....

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
-You can't have a top artifact list without Jester's Cap and Juggernaut. Juggernaut is one of the first artifacts ever to get banned (from extended), Cap is one of the first cards ever to get ridiculously overhyped.

-Arcbound ravager and his friends the artifact lands.

-Ensnaring bridge plus Grafted skullcap.

-Draco.

-Black vise. Just because I had four in my Vise Age deck. Oh, and it's good.

-Howling mine. Just because I had four in my Vise Age deck. Oh, and it's good.

-Zuran orb.

-LED. Builds whole decks on it's own.

-Mana vault, crypt, sol ring, mox diamond, chrome mox, lotus, etc.

-Millstone, grindstone.

-Blasting station, grinding station, summoning station. That's a combo, you know.

A

Al0ysiusHWWW

The stations are not a combo, since summoning only brings out colorless tokens not artifacts and needs artifacts to die to untap, and grinding needs an artifact to activate.