Toolbox???

G

grayson

Hello all,
I've heard about a deck called "the toolbox". Can anyone share more information about this deck (decklist, strategies, etc.). It sounds like an interseting deck and something I'd like to try out.

Thanks for your help.

T

train

A "Toolbox" is not a specific deck - it is actually a utility deck - usually having an answer for everything.

Just so happens I run one here on these boards for most of my games... If you'd like the decklist - let me know...

Here's an article on why someone would actually play one... written about a year ago...

From David Windmiller at Brainburst.com:

Onslaught is upon us, and while that to most of you means new Type 2, to me it means new Extended. Extended is one of my favorite formats (behind 1.5, but that's a different story).

So what are you going to play? You could go get old lists for decks and edit them, or you could go check what the pros played in Houston or Reims on Sideboard or Brainburst, but that's not for me. I happen to be more of a rogue player. So when I heard about the rotation of Extended, I sat and thought of what would be a good rogue deck against the metagame. The problem was I didn't know what the metagame would be because it would be a completely new format. The solution? Just make a deck that would have a good match up against EVERYTHING. Now you might say this seems impossible, I mean that IS the objective of deck-building, but I figured that I would just have a toolbox deck, Like the old Recur-Sur decks.

Recur-Sur (Jason Rose)

CREATURES (31)
1 Uktabi Orangutan
2 Merfolk Looter
2 Tradewind Rider
4 Survival of the Fittest
4 Birds of Paradise
1 Fyndhorn Elves
1 Llanowar Elves
2 Quirion Ranger
4 Wall of Roots
1 Devout Witness
1 Monk Realist
1 Spike Feeder
1 Spike Weaver
1 Man O' War
2 Squee, Goblin Nabob
1 Sliver Queen
1 Krovikan Horror
1 Academy Rector
SPELLS (12)
2 Opposition
1 Recurring Nightmare
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
2 Winter Orb
3 Arcane Denial
2 Force of Will
LAND (17)
1 Bayou
4 Savannah
2 Taiga
4 Tropical Island
2 Undiscovered Paradise
4 City of Brass
SIDEBOARD (15)
4 Emerald Charm
4 Pyroblast
1 Bone Shredder
1 Winter Orb
1 Arcane Denial
2 Sanctimony
1 Light of Day
1 Aura of Silence

As you can see - there's an answer to just about everything in the deck...:D :cool:

G

grayson

Hey Train,

thanks for the information. I'll take you up on the offer of the decklist, if you don't mind. That would be useful in possibly creating my own toolbox. Any advice on the strategy of the deck or reasons for selecting the specific cards?

Thanks again. I appreciate your generosity.

R

Rooser

I haven't built it yet, but I've been tinkering with the idea of an extended toolbox deck that would essentially be a slowed-down control-happy blue-green madness deck, (without any actual madness, probably).

The Engine for the toolbox was going to be Living Wish, and Quiet Speculation. I was also considering going with Manipulate Fates, removing cards I might not need in the match-up for the purposes of deck thinning and/or removing clutch creatures for the purposes of wishing for them. Win conditions would be Roar of the Wurm, Genesis, (Who clocks in pretty solid as a self-recursive 4/4, nevermind that he can recurse OTHER creatures), and maybe Phantom Centaur. Merfolk Looter and maybe even Tradewind rider might make the cut as good utility creatures. Good flashback cards to nab with quiet spec aside from roar would be ray of revelation and deep analysis.

Anyway, if I was told to build a toolbox deck at gunpoint tomorrow, I'd probably build soemthing like that.

T

train

Who went through and edited all the toolbox words????????...

Here's the list Grayson - Current - not including Mirrodin inserts(they still have to be tested) 63 cards in all:

4x Vindicate
4x Gaea's Blessing
4x Swords to Plowshares
4x Diabolic Edicts
2x Wrath of God
1x Death grasp
1x Heroes' Reunion
1x Decree of Justice
1x Haunting Echoes

4x Abyssal Gatekeeper
1x Blastoderm
1x Phantom Nishoba
1x Iridescent Angel
1x Desolation Angel

2x Pernicious Deed
2x Hunting Grounds
2x Mirari's Wake
1x Recurring nightmare
1x City of Solitude
1x Squirrel Nest
1x Aegis of Honor

3x Plains
4x Swamp
1x Forest
4x Savannah
2x Scrublands
2x Bayou
2x Krosan Verge
1x Volrath's Stronghold
1x Grand Coliseum
1x Riftstone Portal
1x Temple of the False God
1x Mishra's Factory(winter - but any version will do)
:eek: :eek:
:D :D
:cool: :cool:

And that's a Toolbox - or Utility Deck!...

:D ;)

T

train

Spidey - I still have the decklist I gave you, and may revert to it, but the wrath's, decree of justice, missing hermit druid, academy rector, dragoons, etc are all swapped out for multi-player purposes...

But I'll be changing it shortly - again...

I can't leave it the way it is and have a headache of a mirror against Spidey... Basically the first to get the Haunting Echoes would win... and that wouldn't be any fun!...

:p

Once I have the permanent list I'll let you know....:)

And then I'd probably change it...:rolleyes: :p

T

train

It is geared more towards MP - that's why the wraths are in, and the decree of Justice - which is a machine with Wake out...

You'll also notice 4 Gaea's Blessings - in there to get stuff back sooner, rather than later...

The Krosan Verges let you fetch Dual-lands, and the twig lives through wrath to attack later...

Recurring - well, it cycles the Abyssals to make sure you keep the board clean...

City of solitude stops anyone from countering your recursion, and you can easily get rid of Arcane Laboratory with Vindicates...

And Being Able to Haunting Echoes everyone is just awesome!... I like to spread the love...;)

Aegis of Honor is flat out wrong when the person with Mountains sees it hit the table!...

The Deck is still in the works, but Sun Droplet seems to be a good addition - that and the Isochron Scepter...

Unlimited Swords = Really Cool!...

when I'm done testing - I'll let you know what I decide on...

G

grayson

Thanks Train. I appreciate it. And I'm with you and Spidey when it comes to multi-player which is what I usually play.

T

train

I don't care what format I'm playing as long as it's Magic!...

However - since I judge most of the tourneys - I only get to play fun and pick-up games... MP is the big format around here, and duel is mainly tourney only...

unless there's only 2 Magic players around to start with...

;) :cool:

M

Mikeymike

Hey Grayson.

If you don't mind, I'm going to post some links to previous decks that have toolbox elements (toolbox as in, you can go get the perfect tool for a job when you need to). Some of them are less toolbox and more theme, but I'm just including them in here to give you some different building paths.

Alluren / Equilibrium / Survival Toolbox Combo
Belbe's Legends / Captain Sisay Toolbox
Umbilicus / Eladamri's Call Toolbox
Call of the Wild / Heavy Toolbox
Evil Wishes / Wishes and Mirari

My current toolbox build is a Sneak Attack/Recurring Nightmare deck that runs 4 Living Wishes. But I'm coming to the conclusion that its tough to find the necessary spots. I need more Wishes it seems.

M

Mikeymike

Nope, no Nicol Bolas in there. I actually own zero, somehow I traded them away a while ago. I'd definitely put 1 in the SB for the Wishes, but I don't know if I've got the backbone to make them a focus of the deck for MP.

T

train

Let me tell you - It takes cajones to put them in main deck MP!...

And I do it all the time... along with Altars of Dementia

Support like Meekstone, and Angelic chorus also allow me to live longer... Long enough to drop Hellions and Symbiotic Wurms...

Then everyone gets upset because the insects feed the contamination...

I guess I should say it's not a favorite deck the group likes to see in play...;) :p