Too many stupid rules

X

XDanish

Hey,

I personally think M:TG has too many stupid abilites. In many sets the come out with a rule and then by another set comes out, it loses its presence. I mean whaetever happened to Flanking or Phasing...i mean yea there are still cards like those around but they fail to continue to produce abilites in the following sets. Also i think many of these abilities are stupid such as Cycling, Phasing,and many others which I just cant think of...now come on, none of you feel the same way about M:TG abilities/rules...just a thought I always felt and just wanted to see people's reaction,...

P

Purple_jester

Ahem. Cycling is NOT stupid. Fluctuator got banned because it made Cycling too powerful, in fact. In fact, none of the abilities are stupid. There are stupid cards with those abilities, yes, but in themselves, such mechanics are not useless.

I will agree though that there is no reason not to continue using nice abilities outside the block it originated in, so long as it is balanced. I myself wouldn't mind seeing a few Flankers come back into the fold.

N

nodnarb24

I would love to see all the old abilities come back especially flanking,that was pretty cool. Also phasing would be nice to have also. Don't forget buyback also, nothing like capsizing all of you opponents stuff. Shadow was awsome too, I would like to make an all shadow green deck if they had enough green creatures with it.

C

Chaos Turtle

Which, if the CPA really wants a "cause," should be reason to lobby WotC for the next Chronicles-type reprint set.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think we want to make it a merely "Chronicles-like" set but include them in future editions (8th, for example).

Killer Joe

Flying
Trample
First Strike
Shadow
Buyback
Phasing
Flanking
Banding
Rampage
Unblockable
Cycling
Fading
any more?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It seems to me that most abilities that are solely for creatures are called "Keyword" and the others are "mechanics" (due to section 501 and 502 in the rules).

So in Yellowjacket's list, I'd take out Buyback, Cycling, and Fading and put them under mechanics and label the rest keywords.

Keywords

Flying
Trample
First Strike
Shadow
Phasing
Flanking
Banding
Rampage
Unblockable (or Evasion)
Haste
Landwalk
Protection
CIP

Mechanics

Buyback
Cycling
Fading
Cumulative Upkeep

Additions in bold.

Killer Joe

To the New or Ignorant CIP = Comes Into Play :)
None of these Mechanics or Keywords are stupid IMHO (In My Honest Opinion).
However, if the following never come back I wouldn't care:
Rampage & Banding.
Why? I just don't. Here's my thinking about how they came about. I think R.G. had an annoying family member bug him about helping create the game and it's mechanics, and under pressure admitted these two mechanics from a huge list of bad mechanics. J/K, of course ;)!
I personally have never made a deck based on either of these abilities, also, I never used a creeature with any of these two abilities.
<income the 'Old Timers': "We liked Banding and Rampage, No, we LOVED Banding and Rampage!Why back when Magic was still "FUN" to play, yadda, yadda, yadda,...)
Though I speak for my self, I know a lot of others feel that same way, I am sure of it!
Maybe next year's "Boxed Gift Set" will include ALL of these, just for kicks, ........KICKS!?
Hey, Spidey, add Kicker too!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not too familiar with newer sets and their mechanics so anyone else can add to it ;)

I love banding precisely because it always seems to confuse people (like those Spike guys), but rampage I never got into.

Side note: Garfield mentioned why he came up with banding in some Duelist (might have been the 5 year issue). It was envisioned as a "line war" type thing and I THINK in response to trample.

D

Duel

Okay, mechanics should include
Phasing
Flanking
Shadow.

These are all one-cycle mechanics.

Kicker and fading are the most blunt mechanics I have seen yet.

C

Crackdown

Flanking would be nice, but I really want to see White Knight return.

M

Mars

"Bands With Other" was quite simply the very worst mechanic, ever. It wasn't banding. It was just horrible. It came out in the Legends expansion.

The worst cards of all in the entire history of Magic were the five land cards in that set that were RARE, did NOT tap for mana, and had text such as "All your red Legends gain 'bands with other' with other Legends." I forget their names but one I believe was Mountain Stronghold. And their worst crime? The artwork on them was just beautiful! Like Sorrow's Path, which at least was part of a three-way combo. What a waste of artwork. Collectors only need apply. I'd rather play with Glyphs.

H

Hetemti

Don't forget "can be blocked only by black and/or artifact creatures." (AKA "Fear")

F

fuzzy510

I think we should add Kicker to the mechanics, no? It seems like it should fit in...

M

Mundungu

every body missed ECHO.

It is not really an ability, but if you put phasing in the mechanics, then you must put echo too.

And what was the name of the "cant attack if opponent does not control an Island" stuff ?

(I just know in french : Joug des Isles)

R

Riva Iron-Grip

i think that all of these, at one point were important in the game play. now, there are so many BIG powerhouse cards, and spells, that it doesn't matter. like flanking. "if blocked by a creature w/o flanking, that creatures gets -1/-1. well, it's not going to matter on cards such as dragon legends, or thorn elementals. stuff like that. so when magic progresses, all of the past rules dont really come into effect.

S

Sleepy

islandhome I think or is that the one that kills you creature if you dont have any?