TomB's article on the main page

W

Wizard2000

Since you can't see all replies at once I thought I'd start a discussion(argument?) over TomB's article "Utopia Lost". I am glad to see that someone has the same basic view on this situation that I do.

I was looking at some PT results and like 68% of the decks were Rebel on Day 2. Does this say something? Gee let's see... could it be that rebels are the only thing that are actually almost playable in this pathetic excuse of an environment? No color even matches the power of Rebels in MBC.. I stated this over a month ago and now this proves me to be correct... for once. :) The constant slowing down and watering down of the game will not fix anything. It's sort of like they are trying to tighten a loose bolt in the game with a heavy mallet. :)

While I am thinking about it... what about 7th edition? Is this going to be the savior of our game? If WotC expects anyone to buy 7th (unlike 6th) they should put these in it :

1. Dual lands with new art. Screw the reprint policy... the value won't go down. If anything the value of Beta BB duals will go up!
2. The basic red cards such as disintigrate, incinerate... what happened to red? What? Red? I thought Rebels were white? Who needs red? :) Lin Sivvi? Incinerate... Lin who? Cya.
3. Serra Angel... Sengir Vampire... (gee but they aren't rebels... I wany my rebels mommy!)

I can go on and on.. but I don't think it will do any good. The basic point is make the damn game playable again for those that have been in it for a while (like me) and those that are new. If you were a scrub and you picked up a pack of 7th and pulled a shiny new Foil Bayou :) :) you would feel pretty damn good.

Those of you that agree with me speak up... give us some ideas on what WotC would have to do to get you to buy packs again!! I am quite proud to say that I have not bought a pack of 6th, MM, or Nemesis. I picked up the handfull of singles that were actually useful and the rest can rot for all I care. A booster box? What's that... haven't opened one of those since Saga. packs?? huh?? Gee let's get a box of MM and open them... Mercadian lift... ? ... Tooth of Ramos... ?? ... Worry Beads... ??? ... bah... can I get a refund? Please?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I thought you could see all of the TomB's replies... just hit "Show All Replies" right before the reply form.

I absolutely have no idea of what to put in 7th. I do have the gut feeling that though the nostalgia cards are nice why put them in? Though I don't have statistics I don't think they're getting played in the Extended where they could be played... why would they be played now? That's not including the red spells, they could probably go in. However, basic editions are usually where cards from just recently rotated sets get put in so the bulk will probably be made up of Tempest on through Urza.

G

Gryphonclaw

I 'stopped' buying packs during nemesis.
All I got was all the commons and some uncommons I needed as singles, I didn't really like any of the rares.
As for 7th, I didn't buy much 6th, maybe 1 or 2 packs, I won't be buying any 7th packs.

C

Captain Caveman

There are a few of things that would cause
me to buy 7th Edition.

Dream list:

1. Reprint Dual Lands

2. Reprint "classic" creatures.(e.g. Serra,
Shivan, Mahamoti, Sengir & Lhurgoyf)

3. Offer randomly inserted "black border"
versions of each card. Something along the
same lines as the "foils" This isn't going
to matter to most players but I'd love to
pull a BB Serra.

Thanx,
Caveman

W

Wizard2000

I bought a lot of 5th edition when it was current, but I sold my collection a little after Exodus came out.

I own only a handfull of 6th edition cards... like most everyone else. I realize a lot of people already have the cards from previous basic sets, but there are also a lot of people out there that are either newbies or are starting to collect again that would love to buy 7th if it is worth it. WotC is missing tons of potential market here... it is hard to believe they don't realize it! :)

F

FoundationOfRancor

I definetly want some of the old favorites. Shivan Dragon? Serra Angel? Where are you?

T

The Magic Jackal

hey, did anyone notice that on my post up there it says I am a founder with 570 posts? Last I checked I was a member with 200 somthing posts. Very interesting. Time to start editing messages! J/K :)

T

The Magic Jackal

Great post Wizard!

I must agree with you about rebels being the most dominant. The winner did play a rising waters deck, but i think that reflects the player, not the deck. (Also, if you read the report, his opponent got mana screwed twice i think, and he got a great hand twice. Taht will pretty much do it for you). White is by far the most dominant color. I think that Lin Sivvi needs to be banned to control white. White will still be a great color, but now more balanced.

As for 7th edition, I don't really plan on buying any packs. They are just reprints of old cards, and i already have all of the ones i'm going to need. If they want people to buy it they need to put in a good card from each color.
(such as ball lightning, serra angel, etc., etc.)

[Edited by Dune Echo (04-17-2000 at 02:15 PM).]

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you never know, they just might put some previously rotated out cards back in. Atog did it, so maybe there'll be others. :)