Tolarian Serpent

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Tolarian Serpent
Color=Blue Type=Creature - Serpent Cost=5UU WL(R)
Text(WL+errata): 7/7. ; At the beginning of your upkeep, put the top seven cards of your library into your graveyard. [Oracle 1999/07/01]

If less than seven cards in the library, move all that are there. [DeLaney 1997/06/12]
Most obvious way I can think of to get around the "drawback" is use Gaea's Blessing. Thus we have a U/G deck, which also provides that green card that gives blanket trample to everyone.

Good idea? Obvious idea and I'm late with it? Other complementing ideas?

L

Lotus Mox

You could also use it in decks which use the GY as resource like Reanimator decks or Flashback decks, but I'd say Hermit Druid is a bit more effective ;).

The main drawback of the Serpent is actually the high casting cost for a simple vanilla 7/7 :(. The seven cards are usually irrelevant.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking about this more in terms of MP, especially for my group. Even though it is vanilla, it's still 7/7 which is beefy for them. Plus, one of the guys like to play Feldon's Cane and drag out games, so Gaea's Blessing would be to my benefit there by keeping up with him :)

B

BigBlue

I find it amazing how they print a set which plays with the GY (Odyssey) and now, the GY doesn't scare anyone, it is "Okay" to put cards there. . .

:)

I like the Serpent in G/U. With Aether Bursts, Blessings, heck, that new card that lets you draw a card whenever a land is put into you GY from you Library or something to that effect. . . that deck just screams traumatize me.

sylvan library and "predict". . . with blessing on top of course.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, actually, since the Serpent is from Weatherlight and so is Gaea's Blessing (I think), this idea should have been around for a while (and I even played during that period!). That's why I was asking if this was a dumb and old combo :p

T

theorgg

How about this for a trick:

Put a Talorian Serphent into a black Deck-Protector card sleeve.

Measure it with a ruler, noting how large it is, in Inches.

Multiply that to find how many cards in one inch.

Multiply that to find out how many is in eight inches.

Fill up a fourth of those card&Sleeves with swamps, snow covered and non. Put four of each Regeneration spell that is black into the deck as well. Put as many fat creatures as you can, adding a swamp per every four you place into the deck.

Have four talorian serphants on the table, a inch and a half tall deck, a GIGANTIC gravyard, an anarchist in grave, and topdeck a new version of All Hallow's Eve(that I don't actually own-- I can't find it anywhere, but it doesn't matter).

Put new All Hallow's back into hand, and swing for close to two thousand damage next turn(believe it or not... Furnace of Rath X 3.)

Have fun with the Serphent.