Tolarian Academy Threshold?

• Thread starter James, Wizard Naive
  • Start date
T

train

Your typing to a person who probably played the only 5-color deck during the PTQ Houston season... I'm truly a casual player - I'm running Cease-fires, and I sold my portion of Power Nine cards. I traded a Mirror Universe and Tawnos's Coffin for Anurid Brushhoppers... I trade whatever it takes to get what I need for a deck... It isn't about the cards - It's about the game...

What I said is not 1 power nine card or all of them can win the game for you...

I'm also a math person and I want to be able to play cards in my deck - that has nothing to do with how strong they are... For all you know I could be casting another Shaharazhad...

I like odds... I like playing the odds... but I run Cease-Fires... not moxen and recalls...

And Dang straight it was the 5th post.... Make your own rules... don't folow the DCI's, or would someone run 20 Black Lotii, 20 Channel, and 20 Fireballs???

J

Jigglypuff

Okay, so I will make one last comment before I quit posting on this thread.

Why should I worry about making things universal? Is my Magic-playing life different because there is a group of casual players in Alberta playing with the banned/restricted list? Are those players morally superior to the people that I play with because they have the power of the banned/restricted list? Should I be bowing down to these players? Besides, Magic already has standards. They're called the Tournament Rules.

And I wasn't saying that the "group" has a set of unspoken rules or guidelines. People can make their own individual decisions on if they want to use the banned/restricted lists. They make their decisions based on what kind of fun they want to have and knowing the potential risks of whatever decision they made. You may not want to play with the guy who abuses the power cards but you shouldn't assume that everyone will not want to play with him. Maybe they're masochists or they want to abuse the power cards as well. Who are you to suggest that they are any less of a "casual" player because they want to do that?

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's true the P9 can't win a game for you on their own, but they "break the rules" so that you win faster and faster until it effectively becomes a coin flip to see who goes first.

Heck, a normal lowly Scryb Sprite will beat a player in 20 turns, if that's all that's ever played. But while you might cast a Shivan on turn 6, following "normal" rules, I might cast it on turn one. Then you won't even get to turn 6. That is why they're overpowered, because they speed up the game to the point where it's basically solitaire.

Now I agree that if one is playing "casual", one ought to have the chance to play with all of his cards. And if one does choose to play with a 40 card, no card restriction deck, sooner or later that person will probably be "blacklisted". And thus that person shouldn't really whine since he chose to play that way and others don't want to. So to solve problems like these, if it's not your regular group, just ask the person what type of "format" and what the expectations are before you play.

J

Jigglypuff

There. Can we please lay this issue to rest now?

(- Steve -)