TMS: Comments and Suggestions.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Hey all. Im representing DUke here when posting this. This thread is for commenting and making suggestions on excisting cards in the "Team-Made Set." If you have a brand new card you would like to submit, please to it in that thread, not this one. Just so you guys dont have to go Thread Hopping, here are the cards listed so far:

----------------------------------------------------
Hinder 3U
Instant
When this card is in your hand, you may pay 1U or B to search through your library for a copy of Hinder, and put that card in your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.
Counter target spell.

Soul Generator 2
Artifact
T, Pay X Life,Tap a non-artifact creature you control : Add X mana of any color to your mana pool. You may not pay more than 5 life each turn.

Coast Sentinel 1GG
Creature - Elf
Coast Sentinel cannot be countered.
Protection from Blue.
1/2
---------------------------------------------------

A single card right now, but a possible cycle...
Lochs of Dread
Land
Lochs of Dread comes into play tapped.
T: Add B to your mana pool.
T: Add either R or B to your mana pool and return Lochs of Dread to your hand.

Dirt Lurker 3GG
Creature- Monster
Dirt Lurker has power and toughness equal to the number of land cards in all graveyards.
3GG: Untill end of turn, Dirt Lurker's power and tougness are now equal to as many lands that are in play.
*/*

Boneyard Monstrosity 2BB
Creature- Abomination
Flying
Sacrifice Boneyard Monstrosity: Return a black card to your hand.
2/1

Reaper of the Dead 3BB
Creature - Evil Spirit
Reaper of the Dead's power is equal to the number of creatures in all graveyards.
If a creature with flying is in a graveyard, Reaper of the Dead gains flying.
BB, Remove a creature in your graveyard out of the game: Regenerate Reaper of the Dead.
*/3

Relentless Flames XY1R
Sorcery
When this card is in your hand, you may pay 1R or G to search through your library for a copy of Hinder, and put that card in your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.
Stream of Fire deals X damage divided evenly among any Y+1 number of creatures and players.

Molding Mask 2G
Creature Enchantment
When this card comes into play, your Oppenent may pay 1, if they do, they may search through your library and remove a copy of Ruthless Mask from the game. Shuffle your library afterwards.
Enchanted creature gets +2+2
Sacrifice Ruthless Mask: Put target creature card in your graveyard into your hand.

Ascending Merchant 4UU
Creature- Townsfolk
If you control two mountains, this creature costs
2U.
X,T: Put X +1+1 counters on Ascending Merchant, Where X is how many instants have been sucessfully cast this turn. You may activate this ability only during your Oppenents turn.
4/4

Mute 2UU
Enchantment
Mute may be played any time you could play an instant.
As Mute comes into play, you lose X life.
Any player may choose to lose X life to destroy Mute.
Target player cannot play any spells.
Destroy Mute at the end of the turn it was put into play.

Whew....there they are! Remeber...just comments and/or suggestions. No new cards.

Let the Reply Posting begin.

D

DÛke

...FoR, and...I WILL be brining more of the "more" interesting cards submitted in the original thread up here to be commented by anyone.

I'll to those cards above as soon as possible. I already see some cards that either need to get a little bit of interest in them, and I already see some good ones.

Bye for now.

N

NeuroDeus

Hinder 3U
Instant
When this card is in your hand, you may pay 1U or B to search through your library for a copy of Hinder, and put that card in your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.
Counter target spell.

This card is a bit bad... because how will you opponent know why you are paying 1U or B and then finding another Hinder... You will have to add "reveal Hinder to you opponent or something" and revealing a counterspell is well unusual...

D

DÛke

...believe that the card does have the "reveal" part, FoR just forgot to add that part since he had to word the actual Channeling. Channeling DID have the "reveal", didn't it? If not, it should.

Here's my review for the first couple of cards, keep in mind that I don't know which are to be "rejected" and which are "accpeted", so far, they're all good, somehow:

Hinder 3U
Instant
Counter target spell.

*Hinder is really good. Its uses are beyond comparison; however, its casting cost is unbalanced. Most Blue spells that counter a spell without a draw back such as "...unless <this>", have double Blue mana in their casting cost. Hinder's casting cost should be "2UU". Its ability to search is "1U' and "B". The "1U" should be converted to "2", in my opinion...to make the card less "U" dependant, while still having a balanced casting cost. Also, add the "reveal" part.

Altered version:

Hinder 2UU
Instant
If Hinder is in your hand, you may pay 2 or B to search your library for a Hinder card and put it in your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.
Counter target spell.

Soul Generator 2
Artifact
T, Pay X Life,Tap a non-artifact creature you control : Add X mana of any color to your mana pool. You may not pay more than 5 life each turn

*I don't like this card much. It has the ability to give you 5 mana of any color during your 3rd turn. I don't think that's very good for any playing environment. The drawback of paying life isn't a big deal, especially if a card was found to "disregard" this already fragile disadvantage. Something as little as casting a creature with that mana could result in game "unbalance-ment". This set alone will contain creatures that WILL be a problem if cast earlier than they're supposed to be.

Coast Sentinel 1GG
Creature - Elf
Coast Sentinel cannot be countered.
Protection from Blue.
1 / 2

*Very good. This idea could see further versatility. Although this is probably a Blue player's nightmare, it is basically nothing more than that. How about increasing it's power to 2, and lowering its cost to only "GG". Against a player controlling Islands, Coast Sentinel would cost 2 more to play, and with that, it will gain the protection, and the counter-less feature. I also suggest changing the name from Coast Sentinel into "Coastal Sentinel".

Altered version:

Coastal Sentinel GG
Creature - Elf
If an opponent controls an Island, Coastal Sentinel costs 2 more to play, and it gains Protection from Blue, and it can't be countered.
2/2

Lochs of Dread
Land
Lochs of Dread come into play tapped.
T: Add B to your mana pool.
T: Add U or R to your mana pool and return Lochs of Dread to your hand

*One word: cycle. I like this land. Very balanced.

Dirt Lurker 3GG
Creature- Monster
Dirt Lurker has power and toughness equal to the number of land cards in all graveyards.
3GG: Until end of turn Dirt Lurker's power and toughens are now equal to as many lands that are in play.
*/*

*This card is very cool, though I don't think there will be many lands in all graveyards. How about making it at least 1/1, plus giving it the bonus? I also think that it's perfectly fine being mono Green...although it might resemble SOME Red in it. I think by keeping it Green, it would be much simpler. It's not like it has a definite Red ability.

Altered version:

Dirt Lurker 3GG
Creature- Monster
Dirt Lurker gains +1/+1 for each land in any graveyard.
3GG: Until end of the turn, Dirt Lurker gains +1/+1 for each land in play.
1/1
"What you call dirt, it calls home."

Boneyard Monstrosity 2BB
Creature- Abomination
Flying
2/1

*I don't understand this card. Do you mean "...return a card in your graveyard back to your hand"? Assuming that you do mean so, it is a bit overpowered. I don't know what to do with it other than giving it a "3BB" casting cost, and increasing its toughness to "2".

Altered version:

Boneyard Monstrosity 3BB
Creature- Abomination
Flying
2/2

Reaper of the Dead 3BB
Creature - Evil Spirit
Reaper of the Dead's power is equal to the number of creatures in all graveyards.
If a creature with flying is in a graveyard, Reaper of the Dead gains flying.
BB, Remove a creature in your graveyard out of the game: Regenerate Reaper of the Dead.
*/3

*Wow! What is this, our own version of Spirit of the Night :)? I like this a lot. Something a Black player always wanted: a repayment for all the creatures it destroys. Somehow, I'd imagine that this card is really powerful, and for sure will be played; that's not bad, but I fear it being too powerful. This card will be in the set for sure, we just need to fix it...is it possible to raise the casting cost to "4BB"?

There, that's what I think.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I would like to use this opportunity to discuss the mechanic most recently used by DÛke: upkeep payments with bonuses. Great lengths have been taken even with the few cards we have seen so far using this mechanic to create a wealth of versatility. Even the basic creatures that we have seen have a variety of uses and could create very interesting tactical situations, as opposed to basic kicker creatures, who were seemingly able only to boost themselves. However, we must all keep in mind that neither extreme - not versatile enough, or too versatile - should be taken in terms of card design with this mechanic. We should not be tempted by any opportunity to make some of our own "balanced" cards for a set to make something and proclaim it strong and not broken when there is a nagging doubt in anyone's mind as to its brokenness. This is not a statement aimed at any one but at us all; and we must all voice our opinions diligently on any cards that we feel are too "versatile."