Throwing Stones

M

MegaManJuno

Here's a deck I've been messing around with on and off for the past couple of weeks:

// Lands (20)
10 Mountain
10 Plains
// Artifacts (2)
2 Puffer Extract
// Creatures (18)
2 Mobile Fort
1 Necropolis
2 Shield Sphere
1 Shifting Wall
2 Walking Wall
2 Wall of Earth
1 Wall of Junk
1 Wall of Lava
2 Wall of Nets
4 Wall of Resistance
// Spells (20)
4 About Face
2 Conviction
4 Fling
2 Giant Strength
4 Hero's Resolve
2 Holy Armor
2 Rolling Stones

Basically it works like this... Throw all creature enchantments you draw on a wall or combination of walls, and then About Face and Fling it/them at your opponent for direct damage. If that dosen't work out, the 2 Rolling Stones will allow you to attack for a secondary means of damage.

I finished off my brother in the last game I played pretty quickly by Flinging a wall at him for 22 points of damage.

Any serious comments or suggestions are welcome...

MegaManJuno

G

Griffith_se

How about, Crenellated Wall And/or Iron will? General's Regalia maybe?

[Edited by Griffith_se on June 6th, 2000 at 01:19 AM]

S

Seeker of Truth

An interesting idea, but before you start flinging your walls all over the place, I noticed you have a lot of 0-power walls in this deck. If those walls About Face or something (by the way, I think there's a creature that does the switch-power-and-toughness thing, too), they end up with 0 toughness, which means they die immediately.

M

MegaManJuno

Yeah, that's what the Convictions (+1/+3), Hero's Resolves (+1/+5), Giant Strengths (+2/+2), and Puffer Extracts (+X/+X: dies at the end of turn anyway if it's used... why not fling it? :p) are for. Then once they're in the graveyard, they serve as power/toughness increases for the Necropolis.

Trust me... I wouldn't be stupid enough to About Face it if it's power was 0 ;)

Basically, I thought of doing it this way mainly because the spells that increase toughness always seem to cost less than ones that increase power.

Thanks for the input though.

MegaManJuno

G

Gumby Khan

Bloodshot Cyclops
Color=Red Type=Creature - Giant Cost=5R UD(R1)
Text(UD): 4/4. ; {Tap},Sacrifice a creature: ~this~ deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is the sacrificed creature's power.

It's a built in Fling and a 4/4 fattie! You might want to protect it, though, since this creature ALWAYS becomes a target when it hits the table. Another one you might consider is;

Task Force
Color=White Type=Creature - Rebel Cost=2W MM(C1)
Text(MM): 1/3. ; Whenever ~this~ becomes the target of a spell or ability, it gets +0/+3 until end of turn.

The +0/+3 bonus is added as a triggered ability upon the playing/announcing of a spell or ability which targets this card. [D'Angelo 99/11/12]

This means when you about face it, it's a 6/1, then sac it to cyclops (no bonus, since it doesn't target) and chuck 6 points at something! :)

G

Griffith_se

Check out Crackdown's thread "Abusing Task Force", if You haven't seen it already. There was alot of Feedback on a sim. Idea.

M

MegaManJuno

good suggestions, but if I used them then it would break the theme... :p

In case you guys haven't noticed, all the creatures in the deck are walls (hence Throwing 'Stones')

MegaManJuno

S

Seeker of Truth

MegaManJuno:

OK, I was just checking about the switching power/toughness concept.

If you're playing white, however, maybe Glorious Anthem would work? It would add 1 to all your walls' power ratings, reducing the necessity of creature enchantments like Hero's Resolve, etc. Castle would also be a good enhancer (if it was Type II legal) as I doubt your walls are going to be tapped a whole lot, making them even more powerful when they are About Faced and Flung.

I'm worried about having only the four About Faces, though...isn't there a creature or something in Nemesis that switches power/toughness?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Dwarven Thaumaturgist
2R
Creature - Dwarf
1/2
T: Switch target creature's power and toughness until end of turn. Effects that alter that creatures power alter it's toughness instead, and vice versa, until end of turn.
Weatherlight - Rare
Is that the card you're thinking of? :D

S

sabshire

Originally posted by Seeker of Truth

I'm worried about having only the four About Faces, though...isn't there a creature or something in Nemesis that switches power/toughness? [/B]
I wouldn't think that too big of a deal. There are many control style decks that have 4 or less kill cards. I remember The Deck... it had 2 kill cards -- 2 Serra Angel

Of course, I know what you are saying. If he can't stay around long enough to about face/fling then he would need a faster way of achieving the same effect. Of course with walls, you can setup a nice defense, and sit back. Only problem then becomes direct damage.

I think some counter magic would work in here. Maybe Mana leak, or something like that??

Stacey

S

sabshire

I think some counter magic would work in here. Maybe Mana leak, or something like that??

[/B]
Duh, Stupid me... I guess he would need blue mana then wouldn't he???

Stacey

D

Duel

If Direct Damage is an issue, you might want a couple life-gainers. This is where white is handy: Peace of mind comes to mind, as do pariah (you've got friggin' 0/7's!) with inviobility(as if you need it!). I'd say that general's regalia was a good concept, and that you may even want furnace of rath as a damage amplifier, if you throw in things like the regalia and pariah. Martyr's cause serves. Oh, and STORY CIRCLE!!!!!(God I love that card!)

M

MegaManJuno

Originally posted by Seeker of Truth
Castle would also be a good enhancer (if it was Type II legal)
Well, I'm not really too worried about it being Type II legal... This deck could never be Type II legal since Fling itself is not Type II legal.

MegaManJuno

S

Seeker of Truth

TomB:

Dwarven Thaumaturgist isn't the card I was thinking of, but it would certainly fit into this deck.

sabshire:

In a combo deck designed to draw many cards quickly (say Turbo-Bargain) it's perfectly OK to have only a few kill cards (4 Soul Feasts plus Yawgmoth's Will), or maybe even one (ProsBloom usually ran only one Drain Life), but that's because the deck is designed to draw lots of cards, so the chances that the card will come up is very good. Under normal circumstances, the chance of drawing an About Face without searching cards is 1-in-15 (4-in-60), or about 7%, a number that increases as the game progresses, but certainly subject to the whims of chance, and considering that you have to draw more than one to win by direct damage (and in combination with Fling), I would feel much better having more About Face-type cards available, or at least a way to search for them. Rolling Stones helps a bit, but still, the enchantments in this deck seem to almost force MegaManJuno to have an About Face in hand to present an offensive threat.

MegaManJuno:

Good point. In that case, Castle is a good idea, as it gives all your walls +0/+2 if they're untapped and not attacking, so it provides additional defense and pumps your walls up for the About Face/Fling combo.

Other cards to consider: Sacred Boon (from Ice Age) and Scars of the Veteran (from Alliances). Prevent damage and toughen up your walls, which will make them stronger for a future attack or Fling action!