Thor is becoming a female (in the comic books)

R

rokapoke

I used to collect the Thor solo title in the 90's so I was always partial to him, but why?
I'm pretty sure you're the only one who knows why you were partial to Thor.

As far as why they made Thor a woman, I'm pretty sure Oversoul's got that answer covered.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Whoa! Holy crap! I can't believe that Thor was a man. I mean... the hair... and the hat... and the knee-high boots... and the breastplate. I just assumed that Thor was a lady.

For attention.
In all fairness, isn't this the reason for almost every comic book storyline ever?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
In all fairness, isn't this the reason for almost every comic book storyline ever?
Maybe for big-time stuff? I mean, there are a whole lot of obscure comic books out there. Either they're all doing a really bad job at the whole attention-grabbing thing or they're not all driven primarily by that goal.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
There's been gender changes before in Marvel, like Captain Marvel. But (to my knowledge), they've always been fairly "minor" heros, while Thor is pretty big. I don't know if it's a "temporary" thing, like when Iron Man had different people in his suit while he dealt with personal problems, but it didn't sound like it. I mean, Thor just is... manly.

But you guys are funny :D

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Captain Marvel wasn't a 'minor" hero, he was the Nexus of the entire Thanos war crossover in the early 70's...... but if you weren't into it, I guess you could say minor, like Dr. Strange or The Hulk.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Can't find any information about it via Google. The whole "cosmic" set of heros like the first Capt. Marvel (I did read his death in the first graphic novel), Thanos, Drax, Warlock, etc. are to me a different category of heros/villains; by their very nature, their power and "cosmicness" outdwarf those "normal" heros from Earth in general (Hulk's strength rivals them). But I don't consider them to be "major" heros in the sense that they're overly recognizable and popular to the general public.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Alright, so the silver age nerd in me got out....... sue me. :D

I would say that heroes are mainstream if the got their own title...... well known to the non-comic book crowd is a whole different thing.
The level of general public awareness of a comic book character is not related their major or minor roles, just their publicist's talent.... ha ha ha

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I would disagree, some heros got their own title "just because" (perhaps their artist promoted really well at that point or the company thought they'd do well at the time but didn't, etc.). I would say a major hero is one that has continually had its title from inception to present.

Just did a quick Google search, here's some heros that have had their own title and I certainly wouldn't call them major or even mainstream: Tigra, Black Knight, Dazzler, Deathlok, Man Thing, Jubilee, Kitty Pryde, Machine Man.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I heard they were going to do a Deathlok movie and didn't Kitty Pride feature prominently in the latest X-Men movie?
Very few heroes have had their own title from inception, unlike Thor, Spiderman, Blade, Wolverine, Ironman, etc......
There is still a Captain Marvel title being published today.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I heard that too. Didn't see the latest X-Men movie... but I don't consider Ghost Rider, Punisher, or Daredevil major heros, yet they've had their movies. It's odd what Marvel will give a movie too :)

Yep, and with the exception of Blade (which I don't know if he co-exists in the same universe as the rest of those named), those are "major heros"...

I remember when I read about Capt. Marvel yesterday that it's more because they need to keep a title so he's "active" or lose the copyright back to DC, I believe... but still don't consider him a major hero.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I see what you're saying. True dat, so I may be off on my thoughts regarding title inception, but some heros just come to mind that represent the Marvel Universe, those are major heros.