This sound familiar to anyone?

A

Apollo

I just got back from a nice cruise that left from the fine city of Tampa, Florida. While I was there, we were cruisin in a taxi that had the radio playing, and they reported that 3 nuns had been arrested after they were found in a U.S. nuclear silo mucking around and trying to take everything apart. They were in jail at the time, but evidently they had snapped a bunch of pictures that showed the U.S. had some sort of fancy offensive, illegal nuclear weapon in there. They were talking about it on the radio for most of the cab ride, but I haven't heard anything about it since then. Granted, it was a pretty strong anti-war show, but it didn't seem like the sort of thing you'd make up... has anyone else heard anything at all about this?

Ferret

Staff member
Well, I live in the Tampa Bay area and I can tell you that there are some local radio shows that are run by absolute idiots down here.

On one end of the spectrum, you have the Lefties screaming about how everything done by big corporations (the people that write their paychecks), Republicans (the people who protect the big corporations), and conservative citizens (the people that vote Republicans into office) are all bad and should be shot.

On the other hand, you'll have the right wing crazies who will tell you that the only people that need to be shot are people that don't think the way they do.

-Ferret

"Don't believe the hype"

T

train

Our radio station actually plays a lot of little "spoofs" kind of like this...

But seriously - nuns in a nuclear power silo - taking thigs apart, and taking pictures?...:rolleyes:

I think the station was spoofing...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I just saw it in my paper, it was in Denver, 3 nuns got into the silo, cut themselves and spread some blood around, and were hammering at a missile with hammers.

A

Apollo

Well, at least it isn't bogus. I wonder if there's anything to the illegal weapon part of it.

...They do sound like whackos, though.

Ferret

Staff member
Could you do us a favour and quote that site? When I click on the link I'm stuck in a spam loop...

-Ferret

"CTRL C to copy - CTRL V to paste"

N

Nightstalkers

you know that you can actually buy old nuclear missle silo's from the government.

But for goodness sake man! Giving nuns the power of nukes is like giving a chimp a high powered pistol.

A

Apollo

Works for me... there's another link that doesn't say much else, but here's that site:

U.S. Nuns Go on Trial for Military Break-In

Apr 1, 9:03 am ET

DENVER (Reuters) - With anti-war protesters cheering them on, three Catholic nuns went on trial on Monday for alleged sabotage and malicious destruction of property related to a break-in at an unmanned missile silo in northern Colorado.
Dominican Sisters Carolyn Gilbert, Jackie Hudson and Ardeth Platte have said they broke into the Minuteman III silo on Oct. 6 to "unmask the false religion and worship of national security."

The trio cut cables and made the sign of the cross with their own blood on the lid of the silo near Greeley, Colorado. They were in the silo for about an hour before military police arrived and took them into custody.

Supporters, who packed the courtroom yelled "We love You" as the women entered the room, handcuffed and wearing orange jail jumpsuits.

The nuns waved and smiled back just before U.S. District Judge Robert Blackburn ordered the courtroom cleared to make room for prospective jurors.

A jury was selected and opening statements were scheduled for Tuesday.

If convicted, the women face a jail sentence of up to 30 years and fines of up to $250,000.

The judge recently ruled that the nuns, one of whom is representing herself, could not use the Nuremberg defense, which allows a citizen to break the law in order to prevent a crime against humanity.

The women have previously been involved in anti-military demonstrations.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Nuns Say They Wanted to Protect Iraqi Children

Apr 2, 8:59 am ET

DENVER (Reuters) - Three Catholic nuns wanted to protect the children of Iraq with a "symbolic disarmament" when they trespassed on a missile silo in northern Colorado last year, one of the sisters told a court on Tuesday.
"We hope to dismantle the weapons of mass destruction one by one," Sister Ardeth Platte, who is representing herself, told jurors during her opening statement.

Platte, and two other Dominican Sisters Carolyn Gilbert and Jackie Hudson, are on trial for alleged sabotage and malicious destruction of property related to an Oct. 6 break-in at the Minuteman III silo where they cut cables and made the sign of the cross on the silo lid with their own blood.

"We've all heard that there was a targeting of the people of Iraq who were threatened with mass murder by the use of nuclear weapons. All we could think of was the children and we had to do something," Platte told jurors in a courtroom packed with supporters.

"We went there to inspect, expose and do a symbolic disarmament," she said. Hudson and Gilbert, who are represented by attorneys, and Platte belong to Sacred Earth & Space Plowshares, a national movement for nuclear disarmament.

Federal prosecutor Robert Brown, in a call to patriotism during the U.S. led attack on Iraq, told jurors well-trained members of the military are there to use the missiles to protect the country.

"They're defending you and the United States of America and have prevented anyone from firing a missile at this country for over 40 years."

If convicted, the women face a prison sentence of up to 30 years and fines of up to $250,000.

N

Nightstalkers

what and leave the children to die? lets have fun with the war and introduce nuns into the fight

T

train

Dang dominicans!!!...

Those Franciscans need to put them in their place!...

N

Nightstalkers

now that is wrong! Separation of state and church. Nuns are not supposed to be in court