Theros Intro Packs: Spidey (Devotion to Darkness) vs Mooseman (Anthousa's Army)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
It's only three because the Mystic was used for mana.
Hand is

1W Battlewise Valor (, I, Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Scry 1.)
G Warrior’s Lesson (, I, Until end of turn, up to two target creatures you control each gain "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.")

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ugh. Both nice cards. I'll choose Warrior's Lesson.

Done

Spidey:13
Hand: 3
Library: 47
Battlefield:

(T,T,U,U) Swamp x4
(T,T) Island x2

(U) Gray Merchant of Asphodel (2/4; When ~ ETB, Mooseman loses X life, where X is my devotion to black. I gain life equal to life lost this way) ~Pacifiered~
(S) Disciple of Phenax (1/3; When ~ ETB, Mooseman reveals a # of cards from his hand equal to my devotion in black. I choose one of them. Mooseman discards that card)

Graveyard: Whip of Erebos, Undead Minotaur, Horizon Scholar
Exile:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mooseman:17
Hand: 1
Library:47
Battlefield:

(TT) Plains x2
(TTT) Forest x3

Pacifism (Enchanted creature cannot attack or block.)

(T) Elvish Mystic (Elf Druid, 1/1, T: Add {G} to your mana pool.)
(T) Chronicler of Heroes (Centaur Wizard, 3/3, When Chronicler of Heroes enters the battlefield, draw a card if you control a creature with a +1/+1 counter on it. )

Graveyard: Artisan’s Sorrow, Giant Growth, Vanquish the Foul, Warrior's Lesson
Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
hmmmm.... nice pick.
UUD
Attack with Heroes
Block?

Spidey:13
Battlefield:

(T,T,U,U) Swamp x4
(T,T) Island x2

(U) Gray Merchant of Asphodel (2/4; When ~ ETB, Mooseman loses X life, where X is my devotion to black. I gain life equal to life lost this way) ~Pacifiered~
(S) Disciple of Phenax (1/3; When ~ ETB, Mooseman reveals a # of cards from his hand equal to my devotion in black. I choose one of them. Mooseman discards that card)

Exile:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hand: 2
Library:46
Battlefield:

(UU) Plains x2
(UUU) Forest x3

(U) Elvish Mystic (Elf Druid, 1/1, T: Add {G} to your mana pool.)
(T) Chronicler of Heroes (Centaur Wizard, 3/3, When Chronicler of Heroes enters the battlefield, draw a card if you control a creature with a +1/+1 counter on it. )

Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Take 3
Done

Spidey:10
Battlefield:

(T,T,U,U) Swamp x4
(T,T) Island x2

Exile:
Battlefield:

(UU) Plains x2
(UUU) Forest x3

Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw

Insatiable Harpy

Done

Library: 46
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,U) Swamp x4
(T,U) Island x2

(U) Disciple of Phenax (1/3; When ~ ETB, Mooseman reveals a # of cards from his hand equal to my devotion in black. I choose one of them. Mooseman discards that card)
(S) Insatiable Harpy (2/2; Flying, lifelink)

Exile:
Battlefield:

(UU) Plains x2
(UUU) Forest x3

Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Untap, upkeep, Draw
Attack with both
Blocks/Responses?

Battlefield:

(T,T,T,U) Swamp x4
(T,U) Island x2

(U) Disciple of Phenax (1/3; When ~ ETB, Mooseman reveals a # of cards from his hand equal to my devotion in black. I choose one of them. Mooseman discards that card)

Exile:
Library:45
Battlefield:

(UU) Plains x2
(UUU) Forest x3

Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Assuming damage resolves...
Disciple dies
You take 3
I draw a card
Bow of Nylea
Use the bow on your harpy for 2 damage
Done

Battlefield:

(T,T,T,U) Swamp x4
(T,U) Island x2

Graveyard: Whip of Erebos, Undead Minotaur, Horizon Scholar, Disciple of Phenax, Insatiable Harpy
Exile:
Hand: 1
Library:44
Battlefield:

(TT) Plains x2
(TTT) Forest x3

(T) Bow of Nylea (Legendary Enchantment Artifact, Attacking creatures you control have deathtouch. 1G,T: Choose one — Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature; or Bow of Nylea deals 2 damage to target creature with flying; or you gain 3 life; or put up to four target cards from your graveyard on the bottom of your library in any order. )

Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Whew! Okay, hold up... first, don't you draw 2 cards since both your creatures dealt combat dmg?

Second, you had WGG tapped from the instants during combat, so that leaves WG free, right? I don't think that's enough to cast the Bow, let alone use it, right?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Sorry.
You are right, doing this while busy at work is not good for keeping it straight
I drew 1 card (draw a card)
play a forest and cast the bow, but don't use it.

Done

Battlefield:

(T,T,T,U) Swamp x4
(T,U) Island x2

Graveyard: Whip of Erebos, Undead Minotaur, Horizon Scholar, Disciple of Phenax,
Exile:
Hand: 0
Battlefield:

(TT) Plains x2
(TTTT) Forest x4

(T) Bow of Nylea (Legendary Enchantment Artifact, Attacking creatures you control have deathtouch. 1G,T: Choose one — Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature; or Bow of Nylea deals 2 damage to target creature with flying; or you gain 3 life; or put up to four target cards from your graveyard on the bottom of your library in any order. )

Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But shouldn't you draw 2 cards because both of your creatures dealt combat damage?

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Attack with the Harpy for 2
Swamp
Abhorrent Overlord - let's see how long he lasts

Done

Spidey:12
Library: 45
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,T) Swamp x5
(T,T) Island x2

(U) Insatiable Harpy (2/2; Flying, lifelink)
(S) Abhorrent Overlord[/color] (6/6; Flying; When ~ ETB, put a # of 1/1 black Harpy creature tokens w/flying onto the battlefield equal to my devotion in B.; At the beginning of my upkeep, sac a creature)
(S) Harpy creature token (1/1; Flying)

Graveyard: Whip of Erebos, Undead Minotaur, Horizon Scholar, Disciple of Phenax,
Exile:
Mooseman:15
Hand: 0
Battlefield:

(TT) Plains x2
(TTTT) Forest x4

Graveyard: Artisan’s Sorrow, Giant Growth, Vanquish the Foul, Warrior's Lesson, Battlewise Valor, Warrior's Lesson
Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
But shouldn't you draw 2 cards because both of your creatures dealt combat damage?
Has to be damage to a player

Untap, upkeep, Draw
And that is game

Forest doesn't do it.

Great game for you, a one creature drop for the win.

I'll try Mainpulative Monstrosities next

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oooooh.

Whew, good game! You had the answers until I managed to get him out. I had Sea God's Revenge which would buy me a turn or two after that but that was pretty much it.

Onto the next!