The Worst Video Game in Existence

• Thread starter Thallid Ice Cream Man
  • Start date

Do you have a personal choice for worst video game ever made?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Not telling

• Total voters
T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I'm curious to hear what each of you thinks is the worst game ever made. Because some people (myself included) may consider a lot of games contenders for this but may have only played some of them, pick games you have personally played.

My choice: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers for Sega CD.
A guy I know had had Sonic CD for a while (a good game that is slightly related to this story) and had a Genesis, so he decided to get a Sega CD so that he could play it.
When he got the Sega CD it came with a couple of games. He didn't particularly want them, but working Sega CDs are had to find nowadays, so he decided to get it anyway.
One of those games was the Power Rangers game.

Now, the senior game players here may remember that Sega CD was flooded with FMV games for the 1-1/2 years that anybody was paying attention to it. This is by far the worst of them.

Basically, here's the game:
You alternate between sitting there watching poorly animated renderings of the first few episodes of the TV series and watching "action scenes."
These "action scenes" are only different from the other sequences in three ways. First, you have a lifebar and a score tallied on the screen in the upper hand corner. Second, other crudely drawn images that are still somewhat distinguishable from the rest of the graphics will occasionally appear on the screen.
Now - and here's the exciting part - the "gameplay" comes in.
Your job - and your only job - is to push the buttons it tells you to push. If you do, you are rewarded with a favorable bleep and your score goes up. If not, you hear a bloop and your lifebar goes down. If your lifebar is emptied, you lose. If you get through the sequence, you are awarded some more points and you switch to another scene of sitting there.
The worst part is that the FMV is completely unaffected regardless of whether or not you touch the buttons. This is probably the least interactive video game in existence.
And the finisher is the crap license. It's almost as though the programmers thought players would play through the game because they wanted to see the episodes (as though they couldn't watch the episodes on their ordinary TVs and get better resolution and cool toy commercials to alleviate the boredom). This game came out on a system that cost $300 and required a Sega Genesis, which was probably another $150, and itself probably cost $50, so a little kid - a member of the game's target audience - would have to come up with about $500 to play this schlock when it came out.

Its very existence denies its existence - kinda like MrXarvox (I'm sure I'll get killed for that one).

Other close finishers include all those old NES bible games, Barney's Hide and Seek Game, and all the Barbie games.

P

Prince RXI

No offence to anyone but, I really, really, REALLY HATE FF8.

Prince RXI, I don't even believe that they COULD call that piece of crap a Final Fantasy. No way would it make the list for me.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

right on!

I mean gun blades.........wtf is that!

S

sageridder

Ok sticking with the sega cd on this,how about that marky mark game they had.

D

Darkstar

Ronald McDonald Land for NES... game me the willies as a young lad!

G

Gerode

I think I played that game on my friend's Sega CD once! I was too young to remember any opinions on that game.

A

Apollo

Well, right now, my brother just rented the new Crash Bandicoot game for PS2, and I really really hate it. Other than that, Fantasia for the Genesis sucked, as well as a billion other games for Genesis/CD (both of which I was dumb enough to get).

F

fuzzy510

But you can't forget any of the Mary-Kate and Ashley games that they made at a rate of five per month for the Game Boy. They must have sucked. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The only video games I've played are the stand-up ones; I don't really consider PC games as "arcade". With that in mind, I've sure I've played some bad ones, but it's been so long I've forgetten specifics :)

C

Chaos Turtle

I haven't played most of the horrible games you've mentioned, but I'd like to add my voice to those who claim FF8 as being just awful. One of the most overrated games of all time.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I actually think FF8 is underrated.

Of course, its the most bashed game in my school.