The war is over!

Ferret

Staff member
After nearly two decades of war in Afghanistan, the United States has decided to pull out of their largest base, Bagram. Of course, no sooner than the last plane is in the air, the local show up to loot everything that isn't nailed down. Reminds me of what happened to a couple of bases I worked at in Iraq. Now, I wonder what new terrorist group will rise up to fill the void since our "Mission" is accomplished...

Ferret

Staff member
(wow. I forgot that I started this thread. I am so old)

It's kind of sad that the same media that has been complaining to all of our Presidents to end the war in Afghanistan are now attacking President Biden for doing exactly what they've been whining about for nearly 20 years. Someone needs to tell these idiots hiding behind their precious First Amendment that they can't have it both ways...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
(wow. I forgot that I started this thread. I am so old)

It's kind of sad that the same media that has been complaining to all of our Presidents to end the war in Afghanistan are now attacking President Biden for doing exactly what they've been whining about for nearly 20 years. Someone needs to tell these idiots hiding behind their precious First Amendment that they can't have it both ways...
As far as that goes, someone should let Orange Sunshine know Biden was just following through on HIS plan, so he can quit complaining on how it turned out too... :rolleyes:

It's a disaster no matter how you slice it. It amazes me that so many of the Taliban were still around to take over like this after 20 years of fighting with our troops over there. It makes it seem like we accomplished next to nothing there...:confused:

Ferret

Staff member
It doesn't surprise me that the Taliban was still around after all of this - when you have an entire country (Pakistan) to hide in, it's easy to "just show up" after most of the American troops have left...

Every President going back to Obama claimed to have an exit plan to leave Afghanistan. Biden was just the first one to go through with it...

turgy22

Nothing Special
I don't think the Taliban were even hiding in Pakistan. Most of the ones taking over now have probably just lived in Afghanistan this whole time. As soon as word got out that the US troops were leaving, they just needed to grab their guns and point them at the local forces who didn't care enough to fight them. It's not like the Taliban have uniforms. They're just a group of people who share an ideology about how their country should be run and are willing to die to impose that way of life.

Ferret

Staff member
Trust me on this one: they were there - just like most of the WMD's from Iraq were in Syria. This is all declassified information, but it helps that I knew people that were actually there and had access to that intelligence...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Actually 5000 of them were released from custody by Trump back in February I think. That accounts for SOME of their reinforcements... :mad:

Ferret

Staff member
Actually 5000 of them were released from custody by Trump back in February I think. That accounts for SOME of their reinforcements... :mad:
Shocker - but, to be fair, quite a few were released/traded by Obama... there's blood on lots of hands...