the people on MTGnews

• Thread starter Azreal the Soulmaster
  • Start date
A

Azreal the Soulmaster

upon reading the comments on invasion cards, and through reading posts for a while, i've come to realize that most of these people not all but most seem to enjoy bitching about every set and every card and how it doesn't appeal to their needs, that only stupid/bad casual magic players would use them

i find this well quite annoying, if they dislike the way the game is evolving, the stop playing it, and leave it to those of us who actually play becaus we find it fun, and we really don't care all that much about winning, just as long as we can use cards and decks that will make for interesting games with our friends

thank you :D

Killer Joe

though I've seen many of the same comments and rants about new sets etc..., I have a tendency not to respond to these poor souls. I'm sure I'll get a thump or two on the head for this next comment but, most of the complainers are young, immature kids who haven't quite got the concept of pragmatisim (the 'reality' of things, if you will). And you know what!? That's okay.
People, in general, whether they're old, young, fat, skinny, geeky, jocky, blue or green (okay, if they're blue or green then they just have got to be eliminated RIGHT NOW!), just love to complain. Think of this, why do shows like Cops, Jerry Springfield, the 6 O'Clock News, why are these shows so popular? Because NEGATIVE sells, and it sells BIG!
It's a natural tendacy, in our society of today, to complain about anything and everything under the Sun and then some.
So I say, let them complain, let them suffer in their sea of despair, folks like you and I can watch them from the railings of the USS "I Have a Grip on Life". We can throw them lifesavers (you know, the mints) and let them chew on tham, of course, they'll probably complain that we didn't throw them the right flavors (damn them).
A bit of advice, do not attempt to respond in defense of new sets (at least when you realize you might be up against some person who's just looking for a fight), it'll be more trouble than it's worth, believe me, I know, I've been down that road and some of those souls are not worth saving or talking to, they just want a fight.
Most of us here at the CPA are well meaning, thoughtful, intelligent individuals who have a real grip on life, so let's not infect ourselves with the 'nay' sayers of the MTG world.

A

arhar

Most of the people on MTGNews are just retards, plain and simple. I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings, but that's the truth. That's why I moved here a year ago :)

A

Apollo

I personally think that Mtgnews has the absolute worst message boards on the 'net. That's because I can't get on them.

Thus, I don't know anything about the people there. However, it seems just a bit unfair to blast them behind their backs like this.

A

arhar

Originally posted by Apollo
I personally think that Mtgnews has the absolute worst message boards on the 'net. That's because I can't get on them.

Thus, I don't know anything about the people there. However, it seems just a bit unfair to blast them behind their backs like this.
Trust me, they know what I think of them :)

D

DÛke

...I'm NOT from MTGnews any longer, I have spend about a year and a half in there. Let me tell you, I've come to know many great people in there, some moved here, BUT some are in there, still.

I do not like to see people talking badly of MTGnews. I dislike it to an extent, but it is still the place where I've managed to become DÛke.
THERE are people in there that KNOW what they're talking about. I know some, we still talk through email and stuff...I offered 3 of them the CPA, and they said that they DON'T like it.

Call them retards, but THEY'RE not. They know what to say, they know their Magic, and they just KNOW.
It is just that the CPA, let me put this in as nice as possible, has been going down hill lately, and NO, I'm not talking about the stuff in the front page. I'm talking plain, simple, and general. It might be hard to see, but DO you think that the CPA is STILL what it was about, say, half a year ago? No, it is not. Whatever has happened, it is NOT the same. Of course, that is just my humbled, and overly fragile opinion.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Originally posted by DÛke
...I do not like to see people talking badly of MTGnews. I dislike it to an extent, but it is still the place where I've managed to become DÛke.
i'm not trying to attack these people personally, in fact i find MTGnews a very informative site, i just wanted to say that i find some of the member's attitudes toward magic's evolution, and toward casual players to be somewhat appauling, but if you feel this strongly about it DUke, then maybe someone should close this thread

J

Jaws10387

Even I agree with DUke this time. It isn't the same as it was here in July. It has definately gone downhill. The main page has gotten better, but overall it's been going down. I don't know what caused it but it definately not as good as it was.

Z

Zadok001

Actually, I've found the Rulings forum on MtgNews to be intelligent and informative. There are a few wreckers, but oh, well. :) I'll live. The Lobby is painfully warm, though - Someone hits the 'Flame' button and suddenly the room is rife with a few specific members fanning the fires...

C

Cateran Emperor

Aye, some of you who were at MTGnews several months ago (DUke, Zadok, et al.) may remember me leaving some great people there for just that reason, the boards turned into a cesspool of whining whenever a new set came out.

I still regret that I left sometimes, but a quick visit to the boards there sometimes is more than enough.

Were it not for Zadok posting the website under every post he made, I don't think I ever would have noticed. Like it or not, casual players are fairly heavily scorned there.

Zadok is right though, they have an excellent rulings forum, another thing I helped out quite a bit with. :cool:

D

Duel

All the Forums there I visited were two intelligent people fighting off a hoard of the terms "sucks" "gay" and "wussy"

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

A

arhar

Not the same place as it was half a year ago? You mean, no more pointless spam messages with 50+ posts filling every forum? I'm glad it's not like that anymore.

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

D

Duel

I have a membership there. If I think really hard, I could probably even remember my password (Not the same as here)

D

DÛke

...no, not the spam. If we vote on it, we would SEE that I'm not the only one who's starting out with this commotion. There are others that think the CPA has changed. What happened? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

A

arhar

No, I'm being completely serious. People just got tired of coming to CPA and finding threads that start "I'm bored" and continue for 50 posts down the line. Now the only thing you can find on CPA is relevant discussions. That's the only thing that changed. Of course, with that gone some sense of enthusiasm, but for me personally it's higher than ever.

D

Duel

I think that, in a sense, Duke's right.

The CPA ain't what it used to be.

So?

Okay, look, the CPA is becoming big. It's becoming a fairly major site, and suffering some birth pangs, but not many, and not painful ones. I wrote an article on this that got no comments save a couple "Don't worry" lines. I saw this happening a while back. I don't object at all.

We have people listening. We need to have people talking.

We have people looking. We need to have people thinking.

Those are the next steps.

The CPA is a site that people stop by. We've (according to most of the people I talk to) surpassed some of the alleged pro sites in theory and decks (Brainburst comes up a lot...), and we've retained largely our casual graces.

the CPA is at a crossroads. I said that. We can choose between becoming a big site and going back to the small, relaxed, orange-and-black site we once were. NIETHER CHOICE IS WRONG.

Recently, in an e-mail, John Friggin' Rizzo mentioned he recognized my name from this site.

I'd still come here if he didn't.

I was at this site when the changes began. They started (I think) with the first death of the dojo. We had poweful players come in, and suddenly, amazing ideas were being sparked in our own back yard. Some of those players have left, or silenced (Magic Jackal et al), but many are still here.

We have the potential here to go either way, but don't force anything. Let the site take it's own course, don't drag it to one side, it will fall where the people who care for it want it to fall.

I love saying "I told you so." Sorry, but I have mentioned this several times in the past months.

The CPA is changing. It's recognized. It's BIG. It's even a little influential. It is by no means the same site it was.

It is also relaxed, free, open to all who come to it, and very, very casual.

I've yet to a veteran member blast someone's deck with "It sucks" We are different from the other sites. We are growing. We can be big, if we want to.

Be in no hurry to grow up, enjoy our adolescence as a site.

By the same token, don't be afraid of change and growth, it is inevitable. I don't think the quality here has flagged at all (In MY fragile opinion) and I think that we have hit a new high point.

Welcome to the World Wide Web, fellow players. We're now there.

go to http://www.meridianmagic.com
look up north american magic sites.
There are 10 sites, total for north america there. We're one.

Congratulations. The CPA ain't what it once was.

Doesn't mean it's worse, though.

C

Cateran Emperor

Well, we're on there, albeit with few points in their mind. Seems they have issues with our content, as many of our own members seem to have. Weird that this all hit in the past half a week or so...

A

arhar

Wow Duel... you are completely right.

Although the part when you say "neither choice is wrong" - well, I'd personally prefer the CPA to become site as major as StarCity, but still be casual.

If that at all is possible

C

Cateran Emperor

I think I get what arhar means, kind of a Dojo (shudder) for casual Magic.

"The CPA...THE infamous site for Magic players to turn to when they want to have some fun."