The Next Gen is Now

With facts in place and opinions abounding, who is the best of the best.

• The Sega Dreamcast, gone but not forgotten

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Playstation 2, tall and tipsy at times

• The Nintendo Gamecube, still looks like a tiny porta-potty and proud of it

• The Microsoft X-Box, looks really stylish on a shelf with other hi-fi stuff

• The home PC, its got the most, can do the most, and anything worth it will probably be ported to it

• Total voters
N

Neo_Keo

My philosophy about Game Systems if it has a game I want to play I'll get it. (can't say that for every1 else but thats why the word "my" was there :) ) I didn't buy the N64 until The first Zelda got realeased and didn't get Playstation till FF8 got realeased. So I might but someof the Units after a game I like comes out maybe this January for FF10 unless SS pushes the Realses date back.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Much thanks for the link Almindhra.
Yes Bloody Roar is finally coming to Nintendo!

C

Chaos Turtle

Hey, that's a pretty convincing series of articles.
If SquareSoft can make amends and bring the Final Fantasy series back home to Nintendo, I'll surely be hooked.

A

Almindhra

I found this somewhere, on a website, that found this article in the LA Times I think...I had it in my Sent folder because I sent this to Luke and a friend of mine...

Final Fantasy on all Systems? (written by Justin)

>> Final Fantasy on all systems? Amazing!

Who would want Final Fantasy on GameCube? The Final Fantasy creator, Hironobu Sakaguchi, does. More on the inside! - July 13, 2001 @ 6:46 PM-EST

Found in the most current LA Times, it states that Hironobu Sakaguchi, the creator of Final Fantasy, would like to bring his franchise to GameCube. It's confirmed that Final Fantasy XI is going to be fully online, and Square hopes to include a vast amount of people to play a part in the future installment.

When asked about Final Fantasy XI appearing on GameCube, Sakaguchi said, "That certainly is a possibility. In fact, executives at Square are very enthusiastic about Nintendo. Square is moving into online games. Final Fantasy XI, which will be released next year, will be a fully online game. To make that work, you have to transcend hardware. If we want to do financially well online, we need to exist across all consoles."

With Enix and Sega developing RPGs for GameCube, Square would be a great addition and could help Nintendo regain its lost ground in its RPG lineup.
Wait, did I read him say ONLINE?!!?!?!?!?!?...Oh yes, I'm really excited about that....

Heres some screenshots of really awesome looking games

Tell me what you think!

A

Apollo

Well, I can't get to the sites Ally linked. But it sounds like they're about Final Fantasy/SquareSoft. So I thought I should mention that the latest issue of OPM mentions something totally different (paraphrased so I don't have to type it all)...

Square has been hit pretty hard of late, mainly because of the utter flop of its Final Fantasy movie. So they were desperate for a "sizeable cash infusion, and fast." Nintendo and Microsoft both made offers to try to break Square's relationship with Sony, but ultimately a deal with Sony was sturck in which they paid Square $124 million and became the second-largest owner in the company, solidifying Square's ties with Sony. Hisashi Suzuki, the president of SquareSoft, said "At this time, there is no doubt that Sony is the best" and that FFXI will remain PS2-exclusive. He also said that they plan on going back to the days when they could sell millions of games without the Final Fantasy name and will be producing more different titles again.

I don't even like Final Fantasy, so I don't really care, but I thought you guys might be interested.

A

Almindhra

I'm not huge on it either, mainly because the only one I have played is the first one years back...But I like RPGs, so I know I could get easily into it...And if what Apollo writes is true, oh well I guess...They're going to be losing out on a lot of money imo...

Some more cool links:
Keyboard Controller
Wireless Controller
Mobile Monitor
PS Controller for Gamecube

And has anyone ever played Phantasy Star from Dreamcast?...This is coming out on Gamecube, and I want to know if its worth it...

And has anyone playes Super Smash Bros or Pikmin yet?...I'd like to know how they are too...

U

Ura

Zero T said:
Excuse me? Why would Metroid be a waste of programming?
Because its a lousy series. Of course I know that not many people agree with me on that, but I really disliked the metroid games and thus I find them to be a waste of programing. Just as I'm sure other people may feel about games I like.

Azreal said:
Must you bash my little gamecube Ura :( j/k
Hey, if it makes you feel better I'm still highly anticipating Zelda. :)
Ever watch a stupid movie, because its stupid(anything by national lampoon:p ) Well its the same deal. You play a dopey game because its dopey. Nintendo characters fighting each other brings me back to the days of "Captain N the gamemaster" and all its cross over character things(ahh shameless advertising)
Sure I have, thats why I like Spyro the Dragon. Mmmm, sheep bashing. :D
I used to love that tv show, whatever happened to it.

Almindhra said:

For all of you who say its a kiddy game system: Click here
Well lets see here, as I said before the Gamecube is a kiddie rehashed title system for the most part. So lets check out the line up they claim is teen to mature.
Survival horror:
Definately a mature catagory, but notice something, 9 titles, 6 are resident evil. Hope you liked the series cause its pretty burnt out.
RPG:
Hmm, three undisclosed titles, doesn't give alot of confidence considering how many there are for any current system. Some of the other titles look promising other then Warhammer 40,000. There has yet to be a good warhammer game on a console.
Adventure games:
From what I hear the last Conker game was good, but titles like CHiPs and MI:2 don't give alot of reason to buy, the other titles are toss ups till theres more available on them.
Fighting games:
Ok, first things first, Bloody Roar Extreme isn't exclusive, its a remake/rehash of Bloody Roar 2. Mortal Kobat 5? Let it die! It says mortal right in the title for petes sake. Soul Caliber 2 and Legends of Wrestling are both supposed to be incredible so far though.
First Person Shooters:
Well, FPS games are basically going to have to live up to the standard set by Half Life and Halo at this point. Perfect Dark Zero should be excellent as long as they don't want you to buy an needed upgrade to play it. :p
Rogue Spear being exclusive is an incredible lie since its been on PC for quite a while now and its also coming out on the PS2 and X-Box.
Action games:
Lots of super hero titles, if you like them this is good, if not then its kinda lame. Battle bots could be interesting if it has alot of custom bot building in it. Jackie Chan adventures could be cool too, but thats cause I like Jackie Chan. Ninja Turtles though? Didn't they get flushed down the can? Oh yeah, tiny porta potty design. :p
Extreme games:
Ok, help me out here. How is snowboarding, skateboarding, motocross, and BMX cycling so horrible or issue dealing that it would get a teen or mature rating? :confused:
I've met enough 10 and 11 year olds at my shop that could hand me my head on a platter any time at snowboard and skateboarding games.
Racing games:
Same as the extreme games, why teen and mature???
Mmmm, new F-Zero. yummy
Sports games:
Again, what 10 year old can't handle sports or doesn't like them for that matter?
Rumored titles:
Anything by Rareware is a pretty sure bet, but other titles such as Diablo 2 or Warcraft 3 for instance make me laugh. Diablo 2 is too big for the game cube, the only system that could handle it is the X-box because of its huge internal storage space for active memory, and as for Warcraft 3, that games isn't even close to being finished for development for computer, happy dreaming to the author. Besides, Blizzard learned their lesson with Starcraft 64 which flopped. Anything else is just guess work that people took a title they liked and said its going there to make themselves happy. :rolleyes:
Overall the cube is still pretty much a kiddie system imho with the target market being 10 to 20 with alot of rehash work to try and get older players where as the other systems target market is 16 to 30 and their games show it. While I know there are some games for the cube I'll like, such as zelda, the majority of games are made for someone other then me which is why I find the other systems superior. So far anyone whos come over and demo'd all 4 systems at my place have agreed that PS2 is the current and X-Box is the future at rest. The cube is just here and appeals to some people, the rest it doesn't.
And I definately MUST disagree with Gamecube not winning for controller...This is the most perfect controller I have ever grasped in my hands...Its so natural to the hand shape...
How big are your hands Almindhra?
Wait, did I read him say ONLINE?!!?!?!?!?!?...Oh yes, I'm really excited about that....
Yup, totally online, but not on gamecube, or anything besides PS2. Apollo explains that in his post. I'm surprised Microsoft didn't buy out the Sony bid though, its not like they haven't got the cash.
They're going to be losing out on a lot of money imo...
Doubtful, if anything they'll be making themselves and Sony ALOT of money. Final Fantasy and the Squaresoft name is one of the few series that sells systems on its own. Much like Pokemon does for Nintendo.
Some more cool links:
Keyboard Controller
Wireless Controller
Mobile Monitor
PS Controller for Gamecube
As I said in my original post, just give them time and the add-ons/gimicks will fly into production.
And has anyone ever played Phantasy Star from Dreamcast?...
Yup. Its awesome. I liked Skies of Arcadia more though.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I used to love that tv show, whatever happened to it.
Sadly it was canceled after 3rd Season:( That had to be one of the weirdest cartoons ever, and anyone who ever watched the show probably shouted at their T.V. Screen "Megaman isn't GREEN!! he is BLUE!!!!:D )

E

EricBess

Originally posted by Istanbul
*shrug*

It's been my experience that some people are die-hard Nintendo fans. Nintendo could dress Link in a frilly pink dress and call him Priscilla, Prince of Hyrule and have him go around giving oinkjobs to all the monsters, and they'd still lap it up like it was the best thing since sliced bread.
Um...actually, we are Nintendo fans because they don't do crap like this and we can count on them not to.

The N64 was HORRIBLY substandard. They limited themselves to cartridge format (which severely limited their technological capabilities), they marketed almost exclusively to kids (which turned out to be a good move, because 95% of the games they *didn't* market to kids turned out to suck), their controller had a button on the bottom (which I found to be the single most awkward thing ever), they made you buy about ten trillion add-ons (rumble pack, memory card, expansion pack, etc.), their games came out costing more than and being inferior to their competiton (I have not-so-fond memories of Hey You Pikachu opening for $80), and they generally just screwed it to hell and back.
My problem with a lot of systems is they concentrate on the technology to sell the games and the game qualify suffers. Sure, its more realistic, but it's either cookie cutter or unplayable. How many first-person shooters do we need, anyway? How many Street Figher clones?

As far as the price, most of the add-ons came bundled with the first game that required them. Yeah, a little more pricy, but at least I know I will play the game. If you won't, buy the system with games you will play.

Is the GameCube as bad as the N64? No. I think Nintendo realized what would happen if they laid an egg that badly again. But it's not as good as the PS2, and it's CERTAINLY not as good as the X-Box. Most people that dislike X-Box only dislike it because it has the word 'Microsoft' attached to it. If it didn't have that brand name, they'd be trampling each other to get to it. WAKE UP, PEOPLE. Microsoft is not Nazi Germany. Microsoft is not some evil empire. They're a very successful computer-based company that is breaking into the video game market. Another company did that once, and they called it Nintendo.
I don't disagree that the PS2 might or might not be a better system technologically. But for my preference, I like Nintendo games better.

Concerning Microsoft. Sure, give them a chance, but please realize how they do business. The X-box is a $500 system at least. Microsoft is a monopoly using monopoly tactics, which are illegal. No, they are not Nazi Germany, but they don't fight fair either. There are laws to protect against this sort of behavior, but unfortunately, no one seems to want to enforce these laws.

It works like this - Microsoft spends tons of money in development to make sure that their system is simply the best that you can possibly produce. Technically, nothing competes. And, quite frankly, nothing can compete because of price constraints. If any other company had developed the X-box, they would have to charge $500 - $600 for it. Who would buy it? No one, that's who.

Enter Microsoft. How do they sell it so cheap? Because they have tons of money just sitting in the bank. The bottom line is that Microsoft is losing tons of money. Why are they willing to do this? Because they are meglomaniacs and want to be the leader in the industry. They hope to make it up with game sales. Maybe, but don't be fooled into thinking that they don't hope to take over the market.

I still stand by what I say. They are not competing with Nintendo. Look at the types of games that are produced for X-Box and Playstation. They are marketing to a whole different crowd than Nintendo.

I won't stand here and say that Nintendo is a better system than either of these. Technically speaking, it probably isn't. So what? I like the games. I'll stick with it and let those two fight it out.

C

Chaos Turtle

Hey, does anyone remember TurboGrafx16 or Neo Geo?

Ha! Ha! And HA yet again!

That third HA was for the poor suckers that bought one of those. ;)

U

Ura

Hey! :p
*tapes a target to the top of Chaos Turtle's shell and hugs his prized TurboGrafix16 protectively*
The TG16 would have demolished the north american game market if it had better marketing. It was a 16bit system when nintendo and sega were only 8 bit, and it showed in the games. It still has the best and most difficult flying shooters ever made.

Oh yeah, EricBess. Well said. :)

A

Almindhra

Here another article I found from ign.com...It compares the systems briefly, its worth a look...
Hardware Behind the Consoles

How big are your hands Almindhra?
I think for a female's hands mine are pretty big...I wear a size 8 ring...And I haven't heard of anyone else complain about Gamecube's controller (I work in the music/video/video games dept in a Dept Store, and no one has complained about it, just X-Box's)...

As I said in my original post, just give them time and the add-ons/gimicks will fly into production.
Better to have add-ons you can buy then having a system come with everythign and you having to shell out more money then when maybe you don't even want the add-ons...

Again, what 10 year old can't handle sports or doesn't like them for that matter?
How is snowboarding, skateboarding, motocross, and BMX cycling so horrible or issue dealing that it would get a teen or mature rating?
Racing games:
Same as the extreme games, why teen and mature???
So let me get this straight, Horror, RPGs, FPS, and Fighting Games (which I think can be very kiddie sometimes) are for adults, while the ones up above are for kids...

Ok then, lets look at X-Box's games that are out now...

Kiddie:
MX 2002 Featuring Ricky Carmichael
NASCAR Heat
Arctic Thunder
Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding
TransWorld Surf
Mad Dash
NBA Live 2002
Shrek
Dark Summit
NHL Hitz 20-02
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x
4x4 Evolution 2
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2
NFL Fever 2002
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
Project Gotham Racing
Madden NFL 2002
NASCAR Thunder 2002
Test Drive Off-Road -- Wide Open
Fuzion Frenzy
Cel Damage (this looks pretty kiddie)
Kabuki Warriors (this looks pretty kiddie too)

Non-Kiddie:
AirForce Delta Storm
Dead or Alive 3
Halo
Star Wars Starfighter: Special Edition

So tell me now what you think, URA!?!!?...:p...

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by EricBess
Concerning Microsoft. Sure, give them a chance, but please realize how they do business. The X-box is a $500 system at least. Microsoft is a monopoly using monopoly tactics, which are illegal. No, they are not Nazi Germany, but they don't fight fair either. There are laws to protect against this sort of behavior, but unfortunately, no one seems to want to enforce these laws.[/B]
I'm DYING to know how Microsoft is a monopoly in the console gaming market. Please, elucidate!

Or are you talking about the OS market, where Microsoft is not only not a true monopoly (ever hear of Linux? Unix?), but doing something that is *totally* unrelated to the topic about which system is better, and which (IMHO) should not be brought up in this discussion?

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Chaos Turtle
Hey, does anyone remember TurboGrafx16 or Neo Geo?

Ha! Ha! And HA yet again!

That third HA was for the poor suckers that bought one of those. ;)
HEY!

The TG-16 rocked. Make no fun of it, sirrah!

Sad truth is, it got mismarketed and dropped early. *sigh*

I still have mine. Wouldn't sell it for the world.

Z

Zero T Katama

Amen. Keith Courage, Bonk, and Splatterhouse? Good times!

Z

Zero T Katama

Could I be justified in saying that Splatterhouse was the first Survival Horror game?

C

Chaos Turtle

Okay, okay, I concede! Actually, the only TG16 game I ever played was some dorky thing about a kid who could play paper-rock-scissors with his oversized hand or weird crap.

But I will never admit to Neo Geo being anything more than a $400.00 hunk of useless plastic and circuitry.

U

Ura

Almindhra said:
I think for a female's hands mine are pretty big...I wear a size 8 ring...And I haven't heard of anyone else complain about Gamecube's controller (I work in the music/video/video games dept in a Dept Store, and no one has complained about it, just X-Box's)...
Its not about ring size, its about the width of the palm area of your hands. Most people won't notice it unless they've logged the unhealthy amount of hours on consols that I have, but there is a comfortable width that is ideal for controllers compared to a persons palm size. I find the playstation controllers fit that width and that the gamecubes are too small. My fingers trip over each other on opposite hands because the controller is so small, and I have smaller then average male hands I've been told. Most people won't complain because most people won't notice unless their hand cramps up on them, a rare occurance. And have I ever said that the X-Box controller was perfect, no. I specifically said that it was too fat.

Better to have add-ons you can buy then having a system come with everythign and you having to shell out more money then when maybe you don't even want the add-ons...
Did I say this was a bad thing somewhere? I don't think so. I simply predicted it would happen, thats it.

So let me get this straight, Horror, RPGs, FPS, and Fighting Games (which I think can be very kiddie sometimes) are for adults, while the ones up above are for kids...
Yes, why don't you get it straight. I didn't say that the genre's you mention were for adults only, I just agree with many of them getting at least a teen rating because quite often they deal with teen to mature themes or have to much violence for an average 10 year old. I however, and read this part clearly, do not agree with the person who wrote the article you pointed out claiming that things like sports and racing games require a teen to mature rating when they don't. Considering that those games take up almost half of his/her article it somewhat debunks the authors claim that they have all these mature rated titles on game cube, when they don't. Dark Summit is one of the few sports class games that does get the teen rating because getting blown up by landmines is not for everybody, hence what an E rating would be. Smash bros for instance is a very kiddie feel game, but it still gets a teen rating because it depicts acts of violence such as clobbering your opponent with a hammer or bat. Sports games for the most part should all just get E ratings because theres almost nothing in them that can really offend people, except maybe Dennis Rodman. Everyone has them and usually has the same ones so I just ignore them because they aren't part of a systems original starting line up or exclusive titles list. They don't show what a system is capable of or what age/sex group its targeting where as the original titles do.
Also, did I ever say the X-Box was perfect, not at all, I complained earlier that they also released with many sports titles and that it and game cube had to many to start. I have said however that the X-box target market is not for the 10 - 20 age grouping and its games are showing this with very few cartoony, giggly, bouncing pink puffball characters and having its original titles specifically aimed at an older male demographic. So stop trying to put words in my mouth.
So tell me now what you think, URA!?!!?...
I think you should read what I'm saying instead of using my words to fit your own ideas.

Chaos Turtle said:
Okay, okay, I concede! Actually, the only TG16 game I ever played was some dorky thing about a kid who could play paper-rock-scissors with his oversized hand or weird crap.
Yay! Good turtle.*take his target back*:)
You got suckered though, the TG16 also had some really nifty rpg's back then. I remember one, though the name eludes me at the moment, where you had to fight the evil Natas, (mirror: sataN ) nothing quite like laying the boots to the lord of darkness to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :p
But I will never admit to Neo Geo being anything more than a $400.00 hunk of useless plastic and circuitry.
Agreed, same with the Lynx and the Jaguar, the 32X, Sega CD, the Virtua Boy, and a few other things that tried to come out.