The Mighty Moose

N

Neil Rigby

Smithy reminded me of this deck and I consider it to be quite casual so I thought I would share it with you, if any of you fancy a laugh in the upcoming extended season play this.

CounterMoose

3 Humility
2 Caribou Range
4 Wrath of God
3 Mana Leak
4 Counterspell
3 Dissipate
3 Dissmiss
3 Forbid
1 Disenchant
2 Aura of Silence
3 Gerrards Wisdom
1 Aladdins Ring :D
2 Whispers of the Muse
1 Capsize
1 Feldon's Cane
4 Adakar Wastes
2 Thalakos Lowlands
2 Reflecting Pool
3 Wasteland
6 Plains
7 Island

Sideboard
1 Archangel
2 Mana Web
2 Disenchant
2 CoP Green
1 CoP Blue
1 Sacred Ground
2 Deflection
2 Aura of Silence
2 Unsummon

This deck is loads of fun to play and its best record in a tournament is 9-0 (win, thank you :D)
This list is from when it was a type 2 deck (Tempest era), so if you were going to play it in extended some cards would obviously change Thalakos Lowlands/Coastal Tower, Deflection/Misdirection and you may want to make some other swaps, like finding room for Force of Wills etc.
In the end its a fun list that can do well if the environment is right so any suggestions would be nice, also I would be interested in what you lot think of this deck, I took a lot of stick for it over here until my ranking reached 1950+.

D

DÛke

...yeah...It was cool.

Though, isn't there supposed to be Grind Stones? Enlightened Tutors? What I recall is that this deck could hold your opponent's stuff forever until one would deck him/herself out.

Aladdin's Ring? How about Masticore?

That's all for now. Hope someone knows about White/Blue. :)

W

Whimsical

<starts laughing after a brief glance at the decklist> It's crazy enough to work. Them caribou tokens will drive any red mage insane. Hehehehehehe. The Aladdin's Ring is just a nice touch to the entire thing.

Hmmm. How about plugging in a Deranged Hermit in here? I know the color is kinda off ... but think about it! You've got the moose in already! Add in squirrels and we've got a nice workable theme deck ... hehehehehehehe. Too much caffeine. ;)

G

Gizmo

No, this isn`t a joke - you may well be looking at the best deck EVER built, and the deck that first put TEAM CAND!MAN on the UK Magic map. Yes, it had Caribou Range as the key card. Yes, it killed you with an Aladdin`s Ring. But ask yourself this - just how much control must this deck have needed to be able to tap the eight mana for an Aladdin`s Ring without fear of reprisals?
Counter-Moose gained that level of control in every single game, without fail, and regardless of what it was facing.

Counter-Moose was the hand grenade in the rock-scissors-paper environment of Sligh, ProsperBloom, and Tradewind, beating Sligh with lifegain, ProsperBloom with countermagic, and Tradewind with Wrath and Humility. For four months Neil Rigby was the scourge of all the tournament venues in northern England, never missing a single Semi-Final and winning 60% of his tournaments. With my own eyes I have seen people arrive at a tournament, see that Neil is there and playing Counter-Moose, and turn right around and leave.

You`ll never believe me. And if you build this deck you`ll never be able to play it properly - only one person ever could. But this IS one the all time great decks.

It`s true, it`s true.

M

Mars

How would you reconfigue this thing to do well in the Extended seson before us, especially these decks:

Trix
TrandewindSurvival
Oath
Countersliver
Morphling DrawGo

D

Duel

Trix is comprable to prosbloom, in that it's a 3-card combo, revolving around enchantments and card advantage, You should out-counter it.

In fact, this deck looks like fun. Sort of an offbeat counterpost deck. and it should beat oath, no? I mean, you can only have so many caribou......

Tradewind survival will be trouble, methinks. Why I'd add in 2 STP's. There MUST be a better kill method than the ring.... I just can't think of it right now.

Drawgo should lose to outposts and humility and plenty of OUR counters....

Countersliver. Ahh, my favorite deck, and the one that is potentially the most trouble. Can't help you here, the deck it just too damn versatile. the wraths and humilities SHOULD shut it down, though. I can't think why they wouldn't.

Cariboom

3 Humility
2 Caribou Range
4 Wrath of God
3 Mana Leak
4 Counterspell
2 Swords to plowshares
2 Dissipate
3 Dissmiss
3 Forbid
1 Seal of cleansing
1 Disenchant
2 Aura of Silence
2 Gerrards Wisdom
1 Aladdins Ring
2 Whispers of the Muse
1 Capsize
1 Feldon's Cane
4 Adakar Wastes
2 Kjeldoran outposts
2 Reflecting Pool
3 Wasteland
6 Plains
7 Island

G

Gizmo

The Caribou are the main kill.
They become 1/1 under Humility, don`t forget.

D

Duel

I know, but I'm counting on them saving their counters for the range and the humility, the outpost just offers another way of doing the same thing.

M

Mikeymike

For those of you who refuse to play the Aladdin's Ring, you could play Vexing Arcanix. "But if it ain't broke,..."

I've heard of such a deck, but this is the first one I've ever seen. Impressive Grasshopper.

First suggestion is the possible addition of Absorb to the deck in the place of the Mana Leaks, I do like the early game counter ability though. I personally think running FoW and Forbid in the same deck will empty your hand in a Hurry.

Soldevi Digger would be nice, maybe better than Feldon's Cane. But I would run it with Thawing Glaciers to shuffle the deck.

E. Tutor could seriously help, and I definitely like dismantling blow in here too.

This deck is huge.

D

Duel

3 dismisses are there to help negate that, and whispers. You should be able to whispers and forbid by the time you need that lock.

S

Smithy

You better believe what Gizmo sez:cool:

CounterMoose ROCKED in the hands of mr Rigby.

Z

Zadok001

Now I'm curious... Watch me go trade for Caribou Ranges tomorrow. :) I'm so gullible!

Seriously, I remember a quote from _someone_, though I can't remember who. Something like 'Caribou Range' is the best card in Magic! It's like an Outpost that gives you life!' Needless to say, that had me laughing for hours. But ya' know, that quote struck a note in me, in that it ALMOST seemed right... Just a little bit strange, but SO right.

I'll write up a modified decklist, largely to suit my playing style, and see if I can put it together for ya'. Might even try playing it sometime, if I don't get too embarrassed...

D

Duel

Sigh, I still have 4 or 5 ranges..... I think it may have been me, I've expounded the virtue of that card to Josh plenty of times, because I lost to it so often early on (Who plays geddon with caribou range? and how did I lose to that?). I'm gonna have to find that deck, now all I need is the humilities, and wrath of gods, and gerrards wisdom, and dismiss, and aura of silence......

N

Neil Rigby

The deck is quite happy with the Tradewind/Survival matchup because Wrath and Humility really hurt them, the scariest card in the match is Squee because it gains them card advantage as well as letting them survival each turn. Trix is a difficult match unless you get an Aura of Silence down and can protect it, after sideboarding it gets easier with more disenchants and annuls. CounterSliver can be one of the difficult matches if it is played correctly, if they get a Muscle and AN Other sliver on the table and can stop your Wrath's/Humilities for a couple of turns (you should have more counters than them) they make it really difficult for you, again after sideboarding it can get a little easier with the CoP's going in and the Unsummons meaning they have to get a Crystaline. DrawGo and Oath just don't have enough threats to beat you and you can out counter them because they have to stop more of your spells than you have to stop of theirs. The reason for playing Aladdin's Ring rather than Vexing Arcanix is because you will need to kill some 1/1's, and the Ring is better than the Arcanix in this situation. The reason it ever got put into the deck is because I suggested putting in a mountain and Fanning the Flames, at which point Gizmo jokingly suggested putting in the Ring, shortly after you had the first tournament level deck to win with Aladdin's Ring.

R

Rando

...but a moose is a moose.
A caribou is a reindeer.

As I said, chances are good that no one cares, but if you want to be accurate, you'll have to change the deck's name.

R

Rando

Well, Gizmo cares.
Quite ferverently it would seem.

...so, how was Guy Falkes day this year? *whistles* Hows the weather?