The "Let's Design a Set Together" Game

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Here is another card...... hmmmmmmm........ not sure about the CC or the rules wording......

Woden's Jewel of the Crypt
Artifact
Cumulative upkeep - 1
Whenever you play a spell or ability, sacrifice <THIS>.
At the end of your turn, <THIS> deals 1 damage to target opponent for each card in your hand.
Whenever you discard a card, <THIS> deals 1 damage to you for each card in your hand.

Carp Rare

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I foresee this being a nice "crap rare", which we need. If we DIDN'T want to make it a crap rare, then we could lower the casting cost and/or get rid of the sacrifice requirements.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ransac said:
I foresee this being a nice "crap rare", which we need. If we DIDN'T want to make it a crap rare, then we could lower the casting cost and/or get rid of the sacrifice requirements.
Wow, I was going for that "crap" rare feel.

D

DarthFerret

I say keep it how it is, and make sure we remember that it is to be a crap rare. Maybe put a temporary note in the itallics text (quote text, whatever)

L

Limited

Okay, I want to make a new cycle, based on the Song cycle from Urza's Saga. Instead of slowly adding counters, I want them to start with a set number of counters and slowly decrease (which might be too much like fading)
The 'new' thing would be that the number of counters should work two-fold; doing something good and something bad.

So, something like..
Clock of Fire 5
Artifact
<THIS> comes into play with five Time counters on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from <THIS>
Sacrifice <THIS>: <THIS> deals one damage to target creature for each time counter on <THIS>. <THIS> deals one damage to that creature's controller for each time counter less than five on <THIS>.

The wording might need some work...

Perhaps this one would have a WR activation?

L

Limited

another random card (to keep you busy :D)

Funny Plant Wall GG
Creature - Plant
Defender
Whenever <THIS> blocks, attacking player may put a 1/1 green Saproling token into play.
3/4

And, to make it a mini-cycle:

Funny Attacking Elemental 2RR
Creature - Elemental
Haste
When <THIS> attacks, defending player may put a 2/2 white Guardian token with Defender into play
5/5

F

Force of Will Smith

i totally have an evil looking jewel already on a card !! :D

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
That Funny Attacking Elemental is Craptastic!!!!!!! I like those cards.

I like the concept of Clock of Fire, BUT....... it may be undercosted. I think 4 would be better, or 3 with an activation cost.

Ransac, cpa trash man

L

Limited

How about a small change to the green one then?

Funny Plant Wall GG
Creature - Plant
Defender
Whenever <THIS> blocks, attacking player may put a 1/1 green Saproling token into play, tapped and attacking you.
3/4

And, to make it a mini-cycle:

Funny Attacking Elemental 2RR
Creature - Elemental
Haste
When <THIS> attacks, defending player may put a 2/2 white Guardian token with Defender into play
5/5

L

Limited

Discerp 1BB
Destroy target creature. Its controller puts an 1/1 Shard token into play with the same color as the creature destroyed in this way.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Let's revisit an old mechanic and see which direction we want to go with it:

Kickback 2 (At the beginning of your upkeep put 2 +1/+1 counters on <THIS> unless you pay mana equal to <THIS>'s converted casting cost. At the end of your turn, you lose a life for each +1/+1 counter on <THIS>)

Okay, Limited stated in another thread that he wasn't too pleased with how this came out and may just want to use it on one card as a non keyword. If so, I say we make it a potentially huge creature, like so:

Parasitic Ooze
GGB
When <THIS> comes into play, put a +1/+1 counter on <THIS>
At the beginning of your upkeep put 2 +1/+1 counters on <THIS> unless you pay mana equal to <THIS>'s converted casting cost.
At the end of your turn, you lose a life for each +1/+1 counter on <THIS>.
0/0

I see a lot more green than black in this card (with the tokens and everything) but the lose of life gives it the suicide black flavor. What do you guys think?

Discerp: Hmm...... reminds me a lot of Afterlife, yet it's better (since the token has flying) and lends itself to all-black (1BB). I like.

Okay, the CPA Triple Lands

CPA BRG Triple Land
Land
Double Tap (<THIS> comes into play tapped and does not untap during your next untap phase)
<T>: Add <B>, <R>, or <G> to your mana pool

CPA RGW Triple Land
Land
Double Tap (<THIS> comes into play tapped and does not untap during your next untap phase)
<T>: Add <R>, <G>, or <W> to your mana pool

CPA GWU Triple Land
Land
<T>: Add <G>, <W>, or <U> to your mana pool

CPA WUB Triple Land
Land
<T>: Add <W>, <U>, or <B> to your mana pool

CPA UBR Triple Land
Land
<T>: Add <U>, <B>, or <R> to your mana pool

Those are the basics. Do we want some un-allied color mixtures, too?

CPA BWR Triple Land
Land
<T>: Add <B>, <W>, or <R> to your mana pool

CPA RUG Triple Land
Land
<T>: Add <R>, <U>, or <G> to your mana pool

CPA UGB Triple Land
Land
<T>: Add <U>, <G>, or <B> to your mana pool

CPA WBG Triple Land
Land
<T>: Add <W>, <B>, or <G> to your mana pool

CPA WRU Triple Land
Land
<T>: Add <W>, <R>, or <U> to your mana pool

Allied and Enemy?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Inspiration for a green pump card.

Gigantisize
XG
Instant
You may only spend green mana on X.
Target creature gains +X*2/+X*2.

It may seem over-powered, but look at it this way.
+2/+2 for 1G
+4/+4 for 2G
+6/+6 for 3G
+8/+8 for 4G

All of those casting costs have cards that are either equal or better than them in the pumping regards. What makes this card competitive is it's versatility.

Comments?

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

As far as the lands go...Ten specials in a set is usually acceptable, but we should pretty much stop doing any more non-basic lands.

As for Gigantisize, well...I like it, however, it does seem just a bit overpowered since green is usually flooded for mana (or can get that way easily)....

L

Limited

Ransac said:
Parasitic Ooze
GGB
When <THIS> comes into play, put a +1/+1 counter on <THIS>
At the beginning of your upkeep put 2 +1/+1 counters on <THIS> unless you pay mana equal to <THIS>'s converted casting cost.
At the end of your turn, you lose a life for each +1/+1 counter on <THIS>.
0/0
How about not giving it a counter when it comes into play, a changing its base power and toughness to 2/1? This way, its a 2/1 for three with an upkeep of three mana, that all of sudden become very nasty.

Perhaps to nasty..

Nevermind, I like Ransac's version better :D

Ransac said:
Gigantisize
XG
Instant

+2/+2 for 1G
+4/+4 for 2G
+6/+6 for 3G
+8/+8 for 4G
I get the feeling this might just a tad too good. The two mana version isn't really good, but the three and four mana version are both pretty decent. Add to that the fact that it becomes ridiculous when you have a lot of mana, I'd say the cost should probably XGG.

+2/+2 for GGG
+4/+4 for GGGG
+6/+6 for GGGGG
+8/+8 for GGGGGG

This seems more reasonable.

DarthFerret said:
As far as the lands go...Ten specials in a set is usually acceptable, but we should pretty much stop doing any more non-basic lands.
I agree. We'll have to decide what we need flavorwise, and I suggest we then which cycle to keep.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ransac said:
Gigantisize
XG
Instant

+2/+2 for 1G
+4/+4 for 2G
+6/+6 for 3G
+8/+8 for 4G

All of those casting costs have cards that are either equal or better than them in the pumping regards. What makes this card competitive is it's versatility.
I'd leave the CC the at XG, there are cards the give +4/+4 for 3 or even 2 cc and do more like drawing a card or scry.

It does get big quickly, but it all has to be green mana so that is a bit limiting.
Maybe it should have an upper limit of what X can be, like
you may not spend more than GGGGG for X

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Two-Handed Attack
3W
Aura - Enchantment Creature
Enchanted creature has Double Strike.
Enchanted creature gets +3/+0 when dealing First Strike damage.
Enchanted creature gets -1/-0 when dealing regular combat damage.

or

Two-Handed Attack
Artifact - Equipment

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I like the Two-Handed Attack better as an equipment. HOWEVER, if it is an equipment, it needs two changes:

1. An equip cost :D
2. An equipment name. Two-Handed Attack isn't the name of a piece of weaponry. Might I suggest....

Florentine Weaponry
Artifact - Equipment
Equip 3

For those not familiar, Florentine is the style of combat where you fight with two swords.

On Gigantisize: I'm not against setting the casting cost at XGG, but I debated with that cost while trying to develop the card. I think you'll find that it's a bit underpowered at that cost. We'll see in playtesting.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ransac said:
Florentine Weaponry
Artifact - Equipment
Equip 3

For those not familiar, Florentine is the style of combat where you fight with two swords.
Thanks Ransac, this is much better and a cool name.
But, maybe it should be 3 cc with the 3 equip cost.

How about;
Two-Handed Attack
2R or 2W
Instant
Target creature has Double Strike,gets +3/+0 when dealing First Strike damage and gets -1/-0 when dealing regular combat damage until EOT.