The Last Founder Has Left the Building

Ferret

Staff member
This will probably be the last post I'll ever type on this site.

I just can't devote any time to MTG (let alone this site). I don't have a dedicate internet connection to allow constant posting and the arguments have gotten old anyway. All I ever seem to hear is "You're not a REAL Casual Player because you play in sanctionned events" or "That's not a Casual way to play" or whatever. I know I've said them myself.

Another reason is that I haven't bought any cards in over two years and I am so out of it when it regards new sets/mechanics/decks. I tried, but it's just too much.

The final (and most important) reason is that there are things in my life that are more important than Magic. My marriage was finished last year, but (former) Mrs. F and I are still on good terms and we're trying to see if our relationship can still work. Nothing (and I mean NOTHING) will keep that from happening.

Now, I'm not trying to say that everyone else on this site is "wasting their lives" with Magic, but the one thing that you need to remember is one of the unwritten principals this site was created for: It's just a game. It's not a way of life, or even an occupation (contrary to how much some of the higher-tier pro's make). It's just a game. Never let it get in the way of the things that are most important to you. Never blow off time with loved ones just to play a stupid card game. If you have to make a choice between buying a box of boosters from the newest set or getting your significant other a birthday/holiday/valentines gift, always get the gift. The cards might get you some joy, but the greatest joy comes from the happiness of those you care about.

At times I know I'll miss this site and the friends I've made here, but I just don't have the time or the energy. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

-David "Ferret" McKenzie

"Keep the faith"

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Sorry to see you go, Ferret. I hope everything goes well for you in the future.

I hate seeing an icon/staple of the community going, but I agree that when one has to devote his/her time towards something worthwhile, games become unimportant. I haven't played a live game of magic in god knows when and my stint on MTGO was very short-lived as I found myself sacrificing much-needed time to play it. I can't even remember the last time I posted something on this website that wasn't Current Events, Opinion, or Off-Topic related.

Once again, sorry to see you go. I hope that you'll at least update us from time-to-time on your life.

Ransac, cpa trash man

P.S. Um...... and sorry about skipping your house on trash pick-ups for the past few years. :D

N

Nightstalkers

Meh, Magic may just be a game but it is a way of life!

Those moon pie eating fanboys are just adorable and going to sanctioned events is a way of the casual player...

But... now that the founders are gone... will the site die as well?

—Habuki Arcana Kuragari

"Why fret when you've got pie?"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ferret said:
I don't have a dedicate internet connection to allow constant posting and the arguments have gotten old anyway. All I ever seem to hear is "You're not a REAL Casual Player because you play in sanctionned events" or "That's not a Casual way to play" or whatever. I know I've said them myself.
This is the only place I've ever found where there is such serious debate as to the significance of an antonym of "serious."

At times I know I'll miss this site and the friends I've made here, but I just don't have the time or the energy. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
You too.

Nightstalkers said:
But... now that the founders are gone... will the site die as well?
Probably not. I've been here for two years and seen speculation that the site would die a couple of times. Some of you have probably seen it more. I don't really know, but I think that the day of the Ed Sullivan shall come like a thief in the night.

That, or it will be something so ominous that even I will join in on the doomsaying. :rolleyes:

N

Nightstalkers

Oh well... I just know that I try to get new people to come and join the forums...

O

orgg

:(

Goodbye. I'll miss you.

I hope you'll return, if only to the off topic portion of the board.

Again... Goodbye. I havn't felt this saddened since Wakefield quit writing. It's been a good run, Ferret. Just take care of yourself, alright?

H

HOUTS

I wish you luck!

Thanks for what you do for SCG and CPA. And, for being honest-no matter what it was about.

-HOUTS

Do you have any leftover stock on this site? I'd be willing to buy you out. 51% HOUTS ownership 49% ModerHater ownership=Great Gift Ever.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Ferret:

I don't know if you'll return to read all the replies to this thread, but I'd still like to offer my best wishes. Without you and the CPA, I probably wouldn't be writing about Magic. I know I came onboard a little bit late, but I always felt welcome here and your original article (entitled "Welcome", I believe) really spoke to me. I hope this time away from the game and from the discourse on the game helps you get to where you want to be.

I just have one bit of advice. I read somewhere that you should NEVER say, "I quit this game." So take some time off. Do what you gotta do. And hopefully, someday, you'll find yourself shuffling up once again. I guarantee that everyone here will be ready to welcome you back into the fold.

Until then, your presence will undoubtedly be missed. Best of luck. I'll see ya.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
And Ed checks in a couple time a week, even though he doesn't really post.

Hey Ferret, sorry to see you go. Drop in a couple of time if you can and like turgy22 says, keep some Magic cards with you.

I haven't played a live game either in about a year but the forums keep my playing alive :) And this job that allows me to get on the Internet. Otherwise, I'd probably be gone too.

HOUTS: This isn't the Ferrett from SCG - this is the one "t" one.

D

DarthFerret

Ferret, man, sorry to see ya leave, but you will live on as a Founder in our memories. Please do keep checking in with us. Hope everything in your personal life gets worked out ok. I myself have taken the occasional break (from here and from Magic both) to straighten things out. I know what you mean about not being able to keep up with the new stuff. I have the same problem here. Anyway, have a good one! (and I will buy the stock myself, just to keep HOUTS from having it!:))

J

jorael

Ferret, I enjoyed your posts and your typical ending of posts.
I wish you good luck.

-Jorael

"A tribute to"

H

HOUTS

"HOUTS: This isn't the Ferrett from SCG - this is the one "t" one."

Not the smartest one in the class, eh?

Obvious joke. Get it? Ferret and Ferrett?

Ugh.

Thanks for the laugh again.

-HOUTS-

E

evan d

I came to this site off of a link from SCG, which I havent been to for months. Who had that in their link. I think it was the 10,000 one or somethign at SCG.

H

HOUTS

"Okaaay...

Did anyone else think he was confusing the two?"
(Plane flys over)

Do you miss everything? You confused clever wit with ignorance.
You forget I am X smarter than you. I can make these, as I have for years, and years...and years, witty remarks.

I've written, and spoke on numerous occasions, with the SCG ferrett.

Noone is listening to you. Don't you get it? Everyone is X smarter than you. They know better to take anything I say at face value.

But, please, keep feeding me. "FEED ME!"
I need more moronic (yes, sorry, but your response does qualify) responses.

HOUTS