The Date of the Beast

Ferret

Staff member
I know that it just ended 26 minutes ago, but I have to admit that it was really cool knowing that I was alive on 06/06/06....now, I just need to see if this remake of "The Omen" is anywhere near as good as the original...

-Ferret

"6
66"

Killer Joe

Ah-HA! Here's the Anne Coulter thread!

Okay, Anne IS "666" aka the mark of the devil. Her vision of the new "Republicans" is as repulsive as the *beast* himself (or herself). She makes me sick! I liked the old Republicans, you know; the guys who like big business, tax breaks and money laundrying. Those guys, not these rextrreme right-wingers who think not only are they on the right side side of the political spectrum but are RIGHT (correct) on everything issue.

On Topic (I thought I was...) the History channel the other day had a two program on "Hell" and they said the bible doesn't mention the 666 a whole and showed an example of how it did mention it "...Six hundred, three score and six...." Ha, three score? A score is twenty, right?

D

DarthFerret

Just an interesting note. In the town of Hell, Texas (yes it exists) they were giving out certificates and selling collectibles that stated: I was in Hell on 6-6-06!

Thought y'all might like that!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Killer Joe said:
On Topic (I thought I was...) the History channel the other day had a two program on "Hell" and they said the bible doesn't mention the 666 a whole and showed an example of how it did mention it "...Six hundred, three score and six...." Ha, three score? A score is twenty, right?

That's probably from the 1611 (King James) version of the Bible. I don't think that the Jews back then counted in "scores." Here's the reference (in the NKJV, which was the closest Bible I could find--for this it probably doesn't matter, as I doubt other translations are particularly different on this one part)...

"Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666."

What I don't get is why 666 is considered the devil's number by so many people. The only place where the number is mentioned attaches it to "the beast" which is never explicitly determined to be Satan. And it attaches it to "a man." You could interpret that to be Satan, I guess...

But then again, you could interpret just about anything in Revelation to be just about anything...

D

DarthFerret

I think a lot of it has to do with the "Mark of the Beast" which is supposed to be after the dissapearance of all believers, and that anyone who accepts this mark of thier own free will, is doomed to H-E-double hockey sticks! I have never been real clear on it all, and not sure I want to be. I am a christian, and definetly believe in God and the Holy trinity (yes God is a part of that!). However, I also believe in quality of life, and I do not think that spending a large portion of time worrying about the end of days is productive, neccessary or even fun. Therefore, as to the theological side of this, I have no idea. However, I do beleive that God has given us our sense of humor, and that he enjoys a good joke (look at the platypus), therefore, the best thing I can do is laugh at the insaneness of all of the hype, make fun of it, and move on!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
However, I do beleive that God has given us our sense of humor, and that he enjoys a good joke (look at the platypus)
Or look at necrotizing fasciitis. Hilarious!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't there a Paradise, MI or somewhere near Hell, MI?

I've never understoof how 666 or 616 (basically - whatever number) got to be in the book of Revelations also. I mean, what IS the significance of such a number? Was it meant to be <number> of days until Judgement? When spelling it out, could also spell Satan? What?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Have you read the Revelation? The whole thing is like, I dunno, an acid trip or something. It's filled with stuff like that. For example (and this is certainly not the most extreme example), here's Chapter 8...

8:1 And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour.
8:2 And I saw the seven angels which stood before God; and to them were given seven trumpets.
8:3 And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.
8:4 And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand.
8:5 And the angel took the censer, and filled it with fire of the altar, and cast it into the earth: and there were voices, and thunderings, and lightnings, and an earthquake.
8:6 And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.
8:7 The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.
8:8 And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;
8:9 And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.
8:10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
8:11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.
8:12 And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise.
8:13 And I beheld, and heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, Woe, woe, woe, to the inhabiters of the earth by reason of the other voices of the trumpet of the three angels, which are yet to sound!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I've read it, though not committed any of it to memory... :) Yeah, a lot of it is seemingly exaggeration or filled with such prose.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Spiderman said:
Isn't there a Paradise, MI or somewhere near Hell, MI?

I've never understoof how 666 or 616 (basically - whatever number) got to be in the book of Revelations also. I mean, what IS the significance of such a number? Was it meant to be <number> of days until Judgement? When spelling it out, could also spell Satan? What?
The significance of the number "666" is a correlation to the number 7. For some reason, in ancient times, 7 was considered this holy, perfect number. Maybe because it's the highest single-digit prime number? I don't know. Maybe there's no reason at all. But anyway, you can see in the bible that people took the number seven very seriously. When Jesus was asked how many times a man should forgive his neighbor, they asked if it should be done seven times, because that seemed like the perfect number. Jesus, of course, responded by saying they should do it seven times seventy times, which, to the ancient Jews, basically equals infinity, since seven is such an awesome number. There's other instances of the importance of seven, as well, just none others that I can think of off the top of my head. But obviously, they chose seven deadly sins and seven virtues for a reason.

So, everyone thinks that seven is the perfect number. That makes six the imperfect number. Six is sinful and unholy, since it's one short of seven. Still doesn't make sense, but that's what these people believed. So to define the unholy trinity (Satan, antichrist, false prophet - I got these from the Omen, feel free to dispute them), the number six was used three times. So that's the deal with 666.

As for the book of revelation, I believe the whole thing was written by a St. John (not THE St. John, but a St. John) who lived during the time after Jesus died, but before Christianity became popular, so Christians were still persecuted and such. Basically, I've heard it was all a dream the guy had, but I'm guessing he didn't dream the entire thing. Or, if he did, it was in multiple dreams. I'm not sure how it got into the bible, but basically, he's just trying to keep hope alive for a group of people who were going through some tough times. He was trying to say that everyone else on earth would get killed for not believing in God, while all the Christians are living it up in heaven. And that's all there is to it.

I just did a little research and confirmed a lot of what I had heard. More info here.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ah. Now it makes sense (if that is indeed why).

So when did the Book of Revelation get added to the New Testament? 'Cause it's kinda interesting to see that it DID get added...

D

DarthFerret

It is actually supposedly written by John the Baptist. Who was a friend to Jesus, and was given the "vision" of the end of days. Now, how would a person living in that time-frame describe things seen in the world of today. Would a Missile look like fire from the heavens? How do you describe a skyscraper? Airplanes? a Car?

I think that the whole point of Revelations is to let man-kind know that there actually will be a second comming someday, and not just a continuation of the status quo. It also helps promote healthy debate among believers and non-believers alike. As for the number itself, I am not well versed in theology (I think we have already determined that) and do not know exactly where it is mentioned and how it is used in that context.

O

orgg

My day on 060606 was odd. It was normal until the band I co-produce got to the studio... then the Mac we record on had a hiccup seven times, we had some odd Audio glitch that was because a Firewire cable wasn't plugged in sufficiently, and the guitar deck shorted out and reset itself.

We only got one useable track, I do believe.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
DF: John the Baptist? Are you sure? I was under the impression that it was written after Pentacost and I thought John died before then.

Plus, not only was he a friend to Jesus, but they were cousins (their mothers were sisters).

turgy22

Nothing Special
Yeah, DarthFerret is most definitely mistaken about the author. John the Baptist died before Jesus (~30 AD) and studies on the book of revelations estimate that it was written about 100 AD. That's why it's highly suspect that it was written by John the Apostle, who would have been 100 years old at the time, and it was certainly not written by a man who died 70 years earlier.

As far as the belief that it's purpose is to give a heads up about a second coming is debatable. Like I said earlier, it was written at a time when Christians were being severely persecuted and was meant to provide hope of salvation. Some people interpret the "second coming" as meaning the time of each person's death and how they will be reborn into heaven. Of course, some people take the book quite literally, too, and feel the second coming will happen on earth. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, eh?