The Daily Fiction

N

Notepad

I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on the new daily fiction. Are more people reading them now that they're about 2-3 pages in size? Are they drawing an interest in checking out the front page on a daily basis?

And to those reading the stories, does anybody have comments on those? Do they work well? Is Daughter M94 too slow paced? Is Lunkheads just way too...Lunkheaded?

I'm planning on keeping up with these daily pieces, and even starting a new series soon to go along with the ones running. Feedback is always welcome! :D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I was already reading anything that was posted on the frontpage (and your stuff especially). I'm not really sure what "lunkheaded" means (or what a lunkhead is and why it should have soap), so I can't really say whether it's too "lunkheaded."

N

Notepad

Lunkhead's just another way of saying dope. Sounded better than "Dopes without Soap" ;)

What I was referring to was the constant bathroom humor persistent in the series. There's no problems with four chapters fittingly titled "stains on the john"? If not, cool! :D

J

jorael

Given my spare time, I don't read it. If I would, I had to start at the beginning.

I rather lurk in the forums :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Notepad said:
Lunkhead's just another way of saying dope. Sounded better than "Dopes without Soap"
Which reminds me of "Dopes Without Soap on a Rope" :)

Probably not that funny. But I've been playing that Word Association game too long :)

N

Notepad

That actually does sound funny, Spidey. The only problem is the CPA article form has very little room for such a huge title. Well, it could hold *that* title, but individual episode subtitles would have to be very very short. :eek:

N

Notepad

One thing I thought would happen by now though, is other people submitting their stories. I guess when it comes to Magic players, not as many are writers as I thought. Either that, or they're too shy to share their stuff? *raises eyebrow to the Magic community*

I think I've succeeded in taking over the Fiction sub page. I don't want that. Where the heck are the other writers!?! :eek: Heh, hopefully, in time...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I can't speak for anyone else, but I have a few things getting in the way...

1.) I think my stories suck, so I don't write much. Reading something someone else wrote and hating it isn't as bothersome as reading something I wrote and hating it.
2.) If I were to write more, I don't know that I'd want to do fan-fiction.
3.) I am mildly busy with school (even though my classes are easy).
4. I am very lazy.

When it comes to articles, it's really just the last two that apply.

O

orgg

Fiction is difficult. Life is easier to write about. Even professional writers can't do Magic very well; look at the Mirroden books as an example. Their stench is infamous.

I'm enjoying the stories, and have to look at them like a webcomic. Else, they feel too short to me.

Then again, I'm still waiting for the opus of M94 to come to an end. I'm quite interested in Daughter M94, as it seems to be simultanious with M94's plot and intersect at some point.

D

DÛke

I'll be honest about this...

The only time I am even tempted to read any article whatsoever (whether it is Magic related or not), is when it has several components:

A) It has to be a fairly lighthearted read, without requring me to have a PhD in Magic or Magic history in order to understand or appreciate. Most "good articles," actually, put me to sleep after the first sentence. I perfer something more whimsical, to the point, and, if possible, funny...

B) I enjoy something short but at the same time informative and with a point. I don't have time to read Magic related writing, and I am not that interested in it either, but if it is something along the lines of the "20-Point Fireball" articles, I'll gladly skim through it and read whatever grabs my attention. I like small bits of info that is littered with some sarcasm as well as some possible insights.

C) I enjoy focused reading. I major in philosophy and psychology, after all. That's exactly the reason why when it comes to games, such as Magic, I perfer something that is less focused and offers more variety. To put it nicely, I don't give a crap about your new deck, or your combo, or your favorite card, or your strategy, or your tournment report. That stuff should be left for me to realize and learn on my own. But your opinion, review, remarks about new cards, new trends, new decks, and gossip about this or that, these things I can appreciate. Again, it's the reason why I like "20-Point Fireball."

D) Please be evil. Being nice is boring. Slam someone, something, a card, a WotC employee, Mark Rosewater, I don't know. Be honest, usually it's funnier than being nice and fluffy. There is a lot of issues to b***h about. Why it takes WotC about a month to release the Online version of new cards? ProPlayer cards? Why do they still insist on making 100% unplayable cards (One with Nothingness)? Why do they insist on making cards that are so good they get played in almost any deck that can afford and use them (Jitte comes to mind)? Why in the world is Mirage being released for Online play (no really, why?)? Why Mark Rosewater, Jay Moldenhauer-Salazar, and Aaron Fosthye will be reponsible for bringing the game to its end if they continue to be employed by WotC? Why the game is still degenerating even after the oh-so-holy-self-pronounced Ravnica (a.k.a the set that shamelessly seduces fools with its "gold cards," trying to do what Invasion did)? Why the idea of "hybrid" cards is so stupid that someone at WotC should get fired for it right now? Why people are so stupid to think that Dimir Cutpurse is such a big deal? Why people are even stupider to attribute such high value to Circu, Dimir Lobotimst? Why the new "dual lands" are overhyped, even more so by the sales people to make sure that their value is amplified?

I could go on forever...

N

Notepad

Oversoul~ Wish you would write more, and everyone for that matter. But boy, do I hear ya on real life being a strangling on time for writing (and personal laziness, I should be voted CPA Notable Laziest CPAer, haha!). But, if you want to hate on someone else's work, please give my stuff a read! ;) I grows on you, and I'll have you brainwashed within the month. (crap, was that out LOUD?!)

orgg~ Glad you continue to enjoy the M94 lineup! :D Though, like what Oversoul said about time and laziness, its just so dang hard to write. So, the short burst daily webcomic-like installments are the way of the future for my writing. No more huge episodes. I finally figured out people at computers would rather have a 2 page read rather than have to read what's like a chapter from a novel. Oh, and Team M94...the end wil come.......someday. Haha (laziness!)

DÛke~ Funny, short and mean? Hell, you just described Lunkheads Without Soap! I urge ya to give it a try. ;) I'll have you brainwashed, too (dang it, stop saying that out loud!). But you know what, I pretty much agree with you on your post. Yeah, 20-Point Fireball is one of the best Magic articles I've seen out there. Why, if Star City had any brains left, they'd hire him out as a Premium writer, haha! Then again, your Point D there is just about a spiffy framework for your own 20pf-like article. ;)

And since I know humor goes over better than epics or action, there's a new series coming up. Be sure to watch the front page for NEKO-SAN! which is, um...well, just watch for it, K? ;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Notepad said:
But, if you want to hate on someone else's work, please give my stuff a read! ;) I grows on you, and I'll have you brainwashed within the month. (crap, was that out LOUD?!)
You already have me brainwashed. I've been reading your stories ever since I started reading them (shortly after I arrived at the CPA). While hating on someone else's work is one of my passions, I actually tend to do it without nitpicking (some of you might not believe that). So I typically only hate on writing that seriously rubs me the wrong way, which is most of the stuff out there, I guess. So your stories are a breath of fresh air.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
DUke: I'm curious, in the case of 20-Point Fireball, how were you tempted to read it if you didn't know what it was about; if it was light-hearted or opinionated or whatever? It sounds like a catch-22...

Your last bullet item could be a rant all by itself :) Some questions have been "answered" already though, like One with Nothingness... if you don't accept the "official" answer, I doubt there's anything more they can say unless they say something you want to hear.

D

depolarization

Here's a short and sweet rumor:

Why is the art for the 'Jitte' so bad? I heard it was a specific decision to make the best card in the set the worst looking art on purpose. Heard it from a gamestore owner.

Anybody know anything more about this?

D

DÛke

Spiderman...

Everytime a new author writes something, or if an old author writes something with a curious title or simply a title that is new, I give them my benefit of doubt to skim through their latest article. This happens more often if the writer is someone I haven't heard of before, which was the case of Eric Turgeon (the author of 20-Point Fireball.) I clicked the linked, skimmed through the article, and I found it very easy to digest...and I liked it...

Now let's face it, "20-Point Fireball" sounds like a very curious title...very catchy, very new, and very fit of the somewhat sarcastic nature of the article...it's hard not to check it out when it first came out...

As a McDonald's tv ad would say, "I'm lovin' it."

N

Notepad

Ooooh! Good idea, there! Have a little yellow blast logo with flashing text inside that reads: "NEW!!!"

Oh, and just a note, the final Team M94 episodes have been sent Spidey's way. For those of you who've been waiting, the end is finally just around the bend. No more huge wait. ;)

O

orgg

No huge wait... Just a painfully short story each time. After the novel chapters, that's going to be quite harsh.

So when do you contact various publishers about your newly completed 'advanced youth action-fiction' book?