The CPA Expansion Project, Phase One--Gathering

N

Notepad

After reading this thread about improving the CPA's recognition, I made the suggestion that the CPA would do well to put together a team to design an unofficial expansion set for Magic: the Gathering. Seeing as how I made the suggestion, I figured I may as well start the recruiting phase.

Who here wants to be a part of the CPA R&D group? All voluntary. No money will be collected for individuals or the group or CPA. We're just doing this because we love the game and we'd like to see a set by players, for players.

If you're interested or have ideas, please speak up. Of course, all group leaders, assignments, rules, cards, brainstorming, etc will come at a later time. This is just the recruiting phase.

I hereby volunteer for the CPA Expansion Project (maybe we can give it a better name? Or perhaps this is a good project title). I am interested in card design, storyline, and flavor text. I am partially interested in development. I do not want to playtest (as I cannot) nor do I wish to be leading anything other than the writer section of the project.

Volunteers so far:
-Sefro
-Istanbul
-DÛke
-Oversoul
-TheCasualOblivion

(list will be updated as people join)

D

DÛke

I'll join. I have an eye for the utterly creative and extraordinary. I'll be sure to add a touch of Miracle Whip and...flavor here.

I'm also interested in developing the theme and, if any, characters and the overall big picture of the storyline.

My advice, if we're going to start a set, that it be the most extraordinary set in Magic history.

T

TheCasualOblivion

I already volunteered, but I guess I'll volunteer here again. Especially on the casual original reprint set I suggested. Its been an idea of mine since 5th edition, when the basic set first started to suck.

N

Notepad

Good to see people interested in the project. I've been on a volunteer project before and it totally fell apart (it was to make a FPS/RPG hybrid scifi computer game) due to bottlenecking and foggy ideas of who's roles were what.

So, I'd venture to say Phase Two should be team assessment and assignment of roles. We figure out who does what in the project, and who leads what aspects.

Phase Three should be brainstorming overall project ideas, and from that point on it should be the team leaders taking the group through the project until we get it finished (Phase Four).

...But, before we can do that, we need our team together. How long should we take on volunteers before starting Phase Two?

I'm thinking the beginning of next week we go to P2 and get this ball rolling. Anybody agree? Think we should wait another week for volunteers? Suggestions?

I

Istanbul

This should be plenty.

I volunteer for the 'card balancing' role. If you can make a set so balanced that you could draft with it, you can probably tell where that razor's edge between good and broken is.

N

Notepad

Originally posted by Istanbul
This should be plenty.
Hmm, agreed, sorta. I'd like to see more people on board, but yeah, if the team gets too big, it runs the risk of slipping apart or bottlenecking. We here should be a good number. (We need to figure out how we'll handle late comers. Perhaps best to let the team leader figure out how to handle them on an individual basis, perhaps. We might not even want late comers, after all.)

Phase Two is up, here:
http://www.casualplayers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14548

D

DarthFerret

Well, I have been playin since the get-go of magic, but not sure how good I will be at card-balance, or any other aspect of the game mechanics. I will volunteer my services in the "flavor text" area if that need is desired.

N

Notepad

Well, I am cool with you joining up, since we aren't that far into the process. If everyone else is cool, it's cool. Just have to see how they vote about it. :D