The Chicken or the Egg?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Melkor said:
Why do you hate Jesus?
I'm not a biblical scholar or anything, but isn't Genesis in the Old Testament? If so, wouldn't it have pre-dated Jesus? :p

Melkor

To Oversoul: Does 1-20 or 1-21 say "water fowl," nope, says "fowl."

To EricBess: Actually, Genesis describes exactly what happened, says He created all the animals, not their eggs.

To TomB: Jesus is God.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Are we really getting into a biblical debate on a website that supports a game that at one point was deemed satanic?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Melkor said:
To Oversoul: Does 1-20 or 1-21 say "water fowl," nope, says "fowl."
But it says God made them from the waters. What kind of fowl would be made from water? Waterfowl, of course.

Killer Joe

I didn't think this statement would turn into a religious topic, but since it did the "funny" is all gone :(

To Melkor: The statement is exactly what you say it is, to you.
To everybody else: the same.

multiple answers are correct

Next statement: If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

~or~

If a wife tells the husband to take out the garbage, does he hear it?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Killer Joe said:
Next statement: If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?[/b]
"Our best information was that the tree had WMD's, there was no sound, mission accomplished."

:eek:

D

DarthFerret

Killer Joe said:
Next statement: If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

I actually have the answer to this one. For most purposes (including my own), a sound is defined as waves emmitted from a transmitter, and picked up by a reciever. No matter what transmits (makes the waves) and what recieves (hears) the waves, it takes all of that to make up the term "Sound".

Therefore if there is no "receiver" in the area, there can be no "sound" There would still be a transmitter (the tree) and the waves themselves, but unless you want to get pickey and talk about animals hearing it, there is no sound. (although some people do try to argue that animals are people too, and would be counted as "no one").

Yes I mispelled recieved. I spelled it two different ways, because I am horrible at spelling and was not sure which way it is really supposed to be.:rolleyes:

(Received/Recieved)

Tag Guard

N

Nightstalkers

Okay, I'll have to step in on that one...

Sound is heard. So long as there are trees in the forest there are recipients for the sound. You'd be surprised about how much a tree actually senses....

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Main Entry: 3sound
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English soun, from Anglo-French son, sun, from Latin sonus, from sonare to sound; akin to Old English swinn melody, Sanskrit svanati it sounds
1 a : a particular auditory impression : TONE b : the sensation perceived by the sense of hearing c : mechanical radiant energy that is transmitted by longitudinal pressure waves in a material medium (as air) and is the objective cause of hearing

Don't think you need a reciever.

Melkor

The passage from Genesis is exactly what God says it is, which happens to be exactly what I say it is. Convenient, eh? Pretty sweet deal, as long as I can convince people that I am right, I speak with the voice of God. We generally call these people cult leaders, but really the definition applies just as well to any other organized religion. As for the sound thing, it really is just a definitional thing, is "sound" the waves that we interpret as sound, or is it the actual interpretation.

To DarthFerret: I before E except after C, or when sounding like A as in Neighbor or Weigh, and some words are just Weird

D

DarthFerret

Sorry Nightstalkers, I am going to have to disagree with you there. Trees themselves have not bee proven to have consious thought, or to be able to "hear". They do not have a central nervous system or a brain to interpret the waves being recieved. Therefore they do not have the ability to percieve sound. I watched an episode of Myth-Busters where the tested plants for reaction to sound and to electric shock (as well as physical abuse). The test results were found to be negative. So I am going to have to stick to my original answer.

Yes Melkor, I know that rule, but there are so many different exceptions that I get lost easily. The weird part....English was my best subject in both High School and College. I Aced Early English Literature 301 and Failed Calculus 201. What does that say? I guess it means I am a pretty good BS artist! Must be why I am in Sales!

:D

Tag Guard

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
Sorry Nightstalkers, I am going to have to disagree with you there. Trees themselves have not bee proven to have consious thought, or to be able to "hear". They do not have a central nervous system or a brain to interpret the waves being recieved. Therefore they do not have the ability to percieve sound. I watched an episode of Myth-Busters where the tested plants for reaction to sound and to electric shock (as well as physical abuse). The test results were found to be negative. So I am going to have to stick to my original answer.
What about that thing Mooseman brought up? Where did you get the "receiver" part of this definition for "sound" anyway? I've never encountered it before...

D

DarthFerret

Mooseman said:
Main Entry: 3sound
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English soun, from Anglo-French son, sun, from Latin sonus, from sonare to sound; akin to Old English swinn melody, Sanskrit svanati it sounds
1 a : a particular auditory impression : TONE b : the sensation perceived by the sense of hearing c : mechanical radiant energy that is transmitted by longitudinal pressure waves in a material medium (as air) and is the objective cause of hearing

Don't think you need a reciever.

If that is the case, then just take a look at this.

Kinda thought this would lend something to this discussion!

Tag Guard

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Melkor, my point was that the Old Testament was written prior to the birth of Christ, and so therefore during the time when Jesus' dad was still running things...Therefore, questioning a passage in the Old Testament does NOT mean you are questioning Jesus, or are in any way being hateful to Him.

You might be being mean to his dad, however...and He tends to show His displeasure with plagues and floods and such...You might just wanna take Him at his word there, Oversoul...;)

turgy22

Nothing Special
According to Catholicism, the old testament Yahweh and Jesus are one in the same. The "father" expression is just that - terminology. The trinity consists of three entities that are one in the same. Therefore, Jesus technically existed before he was born, at the time of the old testament.

That being said, even Catholics don't believe in creationism anymore. Science and history has proven that they are just stories created by the ancient Hebrews to explain things they didn't understand, which is pretty much the basis of all religion. Now that we have a better understanding of the world around us, most people acknowledge that the old testament, Genesis in particular, has an abundant amount of inaccuracies.

Tag Guard

D

DarthFerret

Actually, you are showing the "Greek" line of straightforward thinking there. You have to remember that the early books of the Bible were at first, stories handed down my a very agrarian society, and then written in Hebrew which is a language that is hard to translate because it is an agrarian language. I like the theology whose basic principle is that the Old Testament is like the picture and the New Testament is the more logical-Greek-minded explanation. Without going into this in detail, I do want to point out one thing. If you read Genesis from a very broad non-linear standpoint. You will see that Jesus was with the Father...(Yes they are one in the same along with the Holy Spirit, yet they do communicate between each other. Not sure we have the mental capacity to understand this.). So the argument that the O.T. did not have Jesus as being around yet would not be accurate. However, I am more aligned to Turgy22's last statement. I think that God created Evolution. The 6 days of creation can be explained with the passage "A day is as a thousand years." (do not know exactly where it is, but it is in the Bible) Now, taking in consideration that translations can lose a lot of meaning, perhaps a "day" would be even longer. Maybe even....an age!

Have fun with this one!

Tag Guard

E

EricBess

Melkor - my point is that Genesis doesn't say HOW he created the animals. He might have just snapped his fingers and they appeared or he might have surgically manipulated some DNA and inserted into a test-tube egg. I argue neither for nor against either possibility, but point out that neither of the two possibilities denies the autority or power of God.

Why is it so strange to think that God might use computers? Do we not awknowledge that the inspiration to create such technology might have come from him in the first place?

T

train

I'm pretty sure a tree makes sound when it falls even if no living thing is around to hear it...

As for the chicken and egg... I think the truth is hidden in the books intentionally held out of the bible..

or maybe not...