The Casual Players Alliance vs. Casual Players' Alliance?

N

NorrYtt

What the heck are we called? It looks like, based on the main jump page, this is called the

Casual Players Alliance

but Type I guru and StarCityGames.com Feature Writer and Forum Admin Oscar Tan a.k.a. rasko declares in his signature that he is a Proud member of the

Casual Player's Alliance

But I offer these links as evidence...
Southern Farmers' Alliance - "In September 1877 farmers gathered in Lampasas County, Texas, to discuss their grievances. This gathering began the National Farmers' Alliance and Industrial Union, more commonly referred to as the Southern Farmers' Alliance, eventually claimed a membership of almost three million, one of the largest protest organizations in American history."

Danish Football Players' Union - "Around 95% of Danish professional football players are members of the Football Players' Union. Despite the strong element of competition and obvious individual interests connected to this profession, the union is a success."

...to change our name to the more grammatically correct

Casual Players' Alliance

Vote YES to Proposition tCPs'A!

Edit: I tried to delete this thread and move to the Issues place where it belongs, but apparently I don't have permission to delete my own threads. :(

C

Chaos Turtle

You make a point, but "Casual Players Alliance" is grammatically acceptable. It is an alliance of casual players, not necessarily an alliance in the possesion of casual players.

Nevertheless, I second your motion.

(Oh and I'll move this for you...ungh, urgh...there, all done.

O

orgg

I've ALWAYS typed it as Casual Players' Alliance, as the CPA belongs to all Casual Players of Magic. RAKSO just has refused to change it, as it's a piddly-pizzy liddle thing that doesn't really matter. We've got a link at the bottom of just about every quality article on Type ][ on Star City, and half of the good theory articles, too.

I say we don't mention it to Rakso and hope he doesn't rip it off for a ManaDrain link(a place I need to check out, but always forget...).

If I remember correctly, the " ' " looked out of place when it was on the banner, according to Ed. I remember bringing it up, then just wrote it off.

I did, however, correct those who put the signature in their articles elsewhere. All but Rakso did, and now they're gone. :( No Galtwish, Gizmo(usually, unless he's been drinking), or Blisterguy(well, he only did it once, and didn't link to the site, from what I remember).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I always thought of it as the CPA, never really noticed the difference in punctuation. Whatever you guys think... :)

T

train

As long as this site is accessible from the PCs I use - I have no problem with the title staying the same or changing...:cool:

O

orgg

It's always been the same to me, too, Spidy. The place is the CPA, or the Casual Players' Alliance.

Many don't know to what you refer if you say 'the CPA' nowdays, but if you say the Casual Players' Alliance, a few more will... though it won't be positive, usually.

N

Nightstalkers

You people all think too hard. I just go by CPA and leave it at that.

Hey, I've gotta save brain power someplace or I'd go insane... Hey, whats the square root of an infinite trajectory into a whitehole?

Nightstalker Habuki

C

Chaos Turtle

Originally posted by Nightstalkers
Hey, whats the square root of an infinite trajectory into a whitehole?

Nightstalker Habuki
INTO a white hole??? Have you all gone mad???

T

train

No... I think Nightstalkers was watching one of those "nudie" movies... :eek: :p

R

Rooser

I think the deeper issue here is our image:

Are we possesive or are we not?

I say we are an alliance of casual players, not a group of casual players who jealously guard their alliance.

We do not own the alliance, we are the alliance.

Therefore I say NAY to proposition tCP'sA!

*throws cape over shoulder*
*returns triumphantly to writing desk*

"... from this day forward, I declare eggs no longer to be a fruit!"

C

Chaos Turtle

Well done...except for the eggs part. You really missed the boat there. You can't fool us. They are obviously fruit.

Killer Joe

Gizmo once gave a title suggestion for my kind of magic player, it would've been called:

The STPA (Struggling Tournament Players' Alliance)

:(

R

Rooser

Ha! I feel compelled to start that website as a sister-site to this one.

STPA. Genius!

N

Notepad

Killer Joe has it right. Look at a lot of the articles, and the deck forum. Its like people come to a casual site to learn how to even break into the tourney scene in the first place...

WTF!?!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Which articles are you talking about? Remember, I don't get a whole lot from a lot of people: you, HOUTS.... Rooser occasionally submits one that is clearly casual. Once in a while someone submits one, but I wouldn't go by the articles. The only thing you can safely deduce is that people generally don't like writing and/or submitting it to the CPA.

The decks run the gamut; I haven't seen any real "tourney" decks outside of the Type 1's, but people tend to suggest tourney cards to add because they're usually the best at what they do so they'd be good generally in any deck, tourney or casual (and further depending on MP or not).

N

Notepad

I don't like writing for anybody. I especially hate submitting to anybody. But, I sort of like you guys because so far I've only been caught by one bear trap while trying to put my article submission into your mailbox. You should see Star City's mailbox: Littered with bear traps (those rusty, serrated teeth kind, no less) and Tait holding two shotguns standing under the front canopy.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I must have missed that bear trap while cleaning up from the previous front page administrator... any more of those, let me know :p