The Banning of a card that would end the Magic Legacy

D

dw51688

What card do you think would end the game of Magic by being banned?

H

Hetemti

Forest.

It is the only
thing that can
keep blue under
check. With
out it, blue is
the only color
left. Nothing
else can hope
to stop blue.

C

Cateran Emperor

Funny Hetemi, very funny. Someone obviously hasn't paid any attention to all the other colors and how they all have some redeeming qualities...

H

Hawaiian mage

It's going to be a sad day when the ban Chaos Orb...

T

The Magic Jackal

Banning any basic land would be bad, but I doubt that will ever happen, although they were pretty broken......

I'd say dark ritual, but we all know what happened to that. Same w/ lightning bolt/incinerate. That leaves us w/ counterspell, diesenchant, or giant growth. If one of those goes you know that they are trying to get rid of the game.

A

Almindhra

Dark ritual...That is theeeeee card...Its great, I love it...Its my friend...i would have no problem with them banning counterspell...;)...

But, if I were to be unpartial and unbiased, I would say counterspell...

D

DÛke

...but I agree with the person who posted above me...
VERY well said...
I just hope that Istanbul doesn't see it, we don't want THAT to happen again:)...

-Dark Ritual is Black's definition:
-It defines Black as fast (BBB first turn!).
-Witchy (DARK? RITUAL? WITCH CRAFT...).
-Dark (See it's name: DARK Ritual).
-Evil (Adds three BBB, not one, but three! Very Evil).
-Suicidal (Looses a card for earily speed...NOTHING MORE!).

Just like Counter Spell define what Blue is (mostly), Dark Ritual defines what Black is (mostly, ofcourse...)...

There...:)...

T

Thrash Golem

i heard they were gonna ban charm school, cuz people got neck aches from balancing on their head

other than that, i would love to see island banned. and morphling and thermal glider

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
In all seriousness, they'd have to ban a basic land (which would basically mean a whole color's out) to mark the end of Magic. There is no other one card that Magic can't do without, including Dark Ritual or Counterspell.

G

Gizmo

Before I saw 6th Edition I always said that two cards defined Magic and could simply never go without destroying Magic as a strategy game. They were Winter Orb and Nevinyrral`s Disk.

Then they cut them from the set and destroyed Magic as a strategy game. If I were in charge of the DCI those two cards would be reinstated for Type-II play before I`ve even put my name on the office door.

Killer Joe

None. And you know it. Ha, a SINGLE card? None. A series of cards like; all counterspell types, yeah, the game would take a huge hit, but it still might survive. I just can't see a single card totally defining this game in such a way that Magic would die the next day.
Even though tournament play is the backbone of magic (YJ hides behind a shield), we, the casual players, will still play magic with our own rules, right? Think about it, would magic really die if a great card were banned?

No.

T

Thrash Golem

people still play with 4 mind twists in their decks.. and 4 academy's

N

Namielus

I'm glad I'm not those people there hated that's a Bad Thing(TM)

D

Duel

Dark ritual. I NEED that card. Even in mono-green!

every other major card has a backup.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

it sucks dark ritual was such a nice card, although i like my lake of the dead better
i'd say banning counterspell would ruin the game(notice how they didn't reprint it in invasion) anyway i think if they banned birds of paradise, that would really ruin some legal players lives, but as for me counterspell all the way

"the light is merely an illusion for those too timid to embrace the darkness"

Killer Joe

"Notice how they didn't reprint it in Invasion?"
Well, I believe that's because they print it on a rotating cycle:
Ice Age: Counterspell
Mirage: No Counterspell
Tempest: Counterspell
Urza's Saga: No Counterspell
Mercadian Masques: Counterspell
Invasion: No Counterspell
Right!?

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

i thought they did print a counterspell in urza's saga, but anyway that makes sense

"the light is merely an illusion for those too timid to embrace the darkness"

D

Duel

As long as there is a spell that says "Counter target spell" I'll be fine.