Testing a deck

A

aszl826

What is the most effective method of testing a deck to see which cards are redundant, etc (to make it more effective) if there are not many Magic players in the vicinity (thus making it impossible to play with someone else frequently)?

Thank you for your help.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Well, the best way to find probs with your deck is to play it. I too suffer from no non-digital magic interaction. However! I play online almost everynight with apprentice and such. I would love to play you sometime...and its a great way to test your deck!

And its free!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
One of the old Duelists (4-6) had solitaire methods of testing, categorized as animals, from goldfish which does nothing to dog which does some complex thing depending on a random land you draw. It's pretty dated (uses Revised cards) but if you want I can dig it up and post it.

Obviously it doesn't use current "decks to beat", so maybe if you can you can try to build/proxy those and test your deck against them (play against yourself).

A

aszl826

If you could post it I would find it very helpful

Thank you

T

The Magic Jackal

There are many ways to test out decks. As casey said, using apprentice is very effective. I also do a lot of play testing with myself. Since I always have tons of quality decks, I'll just sit down and play w/ both. This way you at least know that your playing someone of equal skill, whereas you do not in apprentice. Another one Is to go down to your local card shop. There are usually a couple of "regualars" who are constantly at the shop and ready to play. If there are no regulars, try playing the shop keeper, they are ususally very helpful, some of them are even quite good.

K

K1

If you want current decks to beat here are a couple from Inquest based on the standard archetypes you will face:

Beatdown:
4 Wild Dogs
4 Pouncing Jaguars
4 Elven Lyrist
4 River Boa
4 Albino Troll
4 Uktabi Orangutan
4 Rancor
4 Giant Growth
3 Invigorate
4 Masticore
3 Gaea's Cradle
4 Treetop Villages
14 Forests

Control(though this is accelerated, so its not your typical pure control deck):
3 Morphling
4 Treachery
2 Daze
4 Counterspell
4 Miscalculation
4 Thwart
2 Stroke of Genius
4 Grim Monolith
4 Powder Keg
3 Masticore
2 Dust Bowl
4 Rishadan Port
4 Faerie Conclave
16 Island

Combo(Ugh):
4 Lilting Refrain
4 Attunement
4 Frantic Search
4 Parallax Tide
4 Enlightened Tutor
4 Seal of Cleansing
4 Parallax Wave
4 Opalescence
4 Replenish
4 Adarkar Wastes
10 Plains
10 Islands

As for apprentice alternatives, isnt there a new program called enchantress or something now?

T

TheGuyFromTheOtherPost

...I favor Magic Suitcase. It's easy. It's take no time to download, and you can do it by yourself.
I always use MTG Suitcase when I have a new card I want to test.

Everyone has there own method(s), but who cares, because I'm the Guy from the other post.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
MJ: I think he said he wasn't around a lot of people so he needed a "solitaire" way of testing.

Okay, here it is from Duelist #7, "Playing Your Pet", by BethMo. Remember, the cards are dated, from 4th/Revised, so you might have to make changes if you want...

Goldfish: So named because it doesn't do anything. Basically how fast can you deal 20 damage. Do it sveral times and average your score. 5 or less is amazing (heh), 7 or 8 is consistent, more than 10 means your deck will get chewed up by faster deck. Decks that are "jujitsu" (turn your opponent's resources against himself" or discard will not work too well here since the "Goldfish" has no hand.

Turtle: Defensive type deck. Starts out with an Ivory Tower and one each of the COPs. Every time you draw a land (whether you play it or not), the Turtle adds it to his cards in play for free. It doesn't use any non-basic land abilities. It simply tries to prevent as much damage as possible. Also draws a card every turn to try to maintain a hand of seven cards for the Ivory Tower.

Snake: Constrictor deck. Starts out with 2 Black Vises in play. Other than that, it plays like the Goldfish. (Since Black Vise is restricted this probably isn't a good test, so maybe bring it down to one, if you're going to use this). If you want, you can substitute Marsh Vipers for the Rabbit test below....

Parakeet: Comes in pairs, hops and flies, and sometimes bite. Hence, this has a Drudge Skeleton and Phantom Monster in play. The Monster always attacks whenever it isn't "futile" to do so (who knows what this means, it won't attack when it's gonna get killed? Up to interpretation). Drudge Skeleton attacks if you have no creatures or nothing it could block. It blocks the most dangerous creature when you attack and regenerates when necessary. Other than that, plays like Goldfish.

Rabbit and Rat: Breeds like anything. Basic idea is that it gets a free Drudge Rabbit (1/1 colorless regernating creature) every turn. Regenerates for free when necessary. Attacks when able but keeps enough Rabbits to block your blockable creatures. Other than that, follow Goldfish.

Variations include: Replacing the Rabbits with Will-O-Wisps, Scryb Rabbits (1/1 colorless fliers), or Rabbit Thallids (1/1 green creature). For extra challenge, give the deck a Meekstone or Winter Orb.

The Rat test involves getting a Plague Rat for free every turn. It always attacks with half the Rats (rounding down). The rest of the Rats will block whichever way is most effective. If you attack with flying creatures, half the untapped rats (rounding up) gain flying until end of turn. If you play a COP:Black, it lasts for three turns and is then destroyed.

The Angel test is where the opponent does nothing for the first 4 turns, then gets a free Serra Angel every turn. It attacks whenever it has a chance to deal damage to you or killing one of your creatures and blocks whenever possible.

Dog: Can learn (AI). Take some basic lands of equal numbers and shuffle. Assign an action to each land, like:

Island: Counterspells for free the next spell you cast.

Swamp: If it has four or fewer lands, it plays a Will-O-Wisp. Otherwise it plays a Sengir.

Mountain: If it has 3 or fewer lands, it Bolts you. Otherwise it hits you with a Disintegrate for as many points as possible.

Forest: 1 land, Scryb Sprite. 2 = Grizzly Bears. 3 = Land Leeches. 4 = Giant Spider. 5 = Durkwood Boars. 6 or more = Craw Wurm.

Plains: Plays a COP of whatever color you're using most that isn't protected against, or COP:Artifacts if you have more artifact creatures.

You can vary the rules for Dog by requiring the correct amount of mana, tap the mana but ignore color, whatever.

The Dog flips over a land, puts it into play, and does whatever action. It attacks if profitable and defends/prevents damage in the smartest way.

Hope this gave you ideas and you can tweak whatever you need to suit yourself!