Teaching the next generation...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My 7 year old son expressed interest in learning how to play Magic, so sat down with some basic monochrome decks and vanilla creatures (except for flying) yesterday and played a few games with him. He thinks it's like a video game :) He has a ton of Pokemon cards and knows how to play that so he's sort of familiar with the concept of trading card games, but I didn't think he was interested in Magic yet. Now he wants to buy more boosters but I told him to hold off as I have tons of older cards to use and show him first :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we started with a red and blue monochrome decks and apparently I made the blue one "too strong"; since it has a lot of flying, it just sweeps over the red one since we're just using creatures. But now he wants to add a color to each and see how it goes, so maybe they'll even out.

I had to go dig in my garage for my cards since I haven't used them forever :) He actually bought me a pack of something (had 3 boosters and a promo card) with his Christmas money because he wanted to learn how to play...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I have sealed product... lots... M12 and Return to Ravnica..... could be dealing time.... ha ha ha ha
I taught my son magic at about that age as a way for him to become more interested in reading and it worked.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
That's great. I've always felt that there was something special about the old cards, even when I was new to the game (late 1990's) I had a fondness for the older sets. There's also some pretty cool stuff that's been coming out more recently, and I'm sure he's seen some of that too. The game is coming up on 20 years old, isn't it? And it's changed so much.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, he sort of likes the fantasy aspect... already familiar with Pokemon and their various powers, plays Zelda on the DS, and I have MAME on the computer and we play Gauntlet :) I just put together stuff like Mons Goblin Raiders, Merfolk of the Pearl Trident, Flame/Earth/Water Elemental, and some walls, and Zephyr Falcon (because I knew he'd get a kick out of seeing his sister's name on a card). I haven't gotten to any spells that actually do something yet. Although he is reading the cards from the boosters he got me, so while he may not understand what they do, he's getting exposure to the terms and stuff. :)

R

rokapoke

Zephyr Falcon (because I knew he'd get a kick out of seeing his sister's name on a card)
So did you name your daughter Zephyr, or Falcon? Or did you go with an odd name and call her "Attacking" or "Heather Hudson"?

turgy22

Nothing Special
Awesome! You named your kid after a Magic card. Good pick.

And don't try to convince me otherwise, because I won't believe you.

R

rokapoke

I'm still trying to convince my wife that "Lord of the Pit" would make an excellent name if we have another kid... it seems like an uphill battle, though.

Also, Spiderman, make sure you expose your daughter to the Red Hot Chili Peppers -- they seemingly wrote a song for her a few years back, on the "By the Way" album.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, when she was born or around that time, we did get a recording of a song called "Zephyr", but I don't think it was from the RHCP... I want to say Soundgarden or something, but not sure...