Tea Party Protests

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
So, was this a grassroots event?
Did you attend one?
Do you agree with their platform?
I've heard them called hypocritical for not being vocal about spending in the prior few years, what are your thoughts?

Yes, this is written to spur a political discussion, but not rants and such.....

D

DarthFerret

I did not attend. However, if I understand it, they are protesting the amount of spending the current administration is doing. They are also protesting the amount of government controll that is trying to be pushed through. I also think there is some type of tax issue as well, however, I am not really sure of any of this. I have been a bit out of the loop for the past couple of weeks.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I didn't hear about these until after Tax Day, but they sound like nothing more than propaganda and publicity stunts to me.

If DF's assessment is correct (protests against current administration spending), then I'd have to agree that these events are largely hypocritical. The previous administration spent a ridiculous amount of money on stimulus packages, bailouts and wars and we still hit our biggest recession in 70 years. How anyone can fault an administration that's been in office for all of 3 months for excess spending is beyond me.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I just heard they were protesting the general idea of taxation or in one instance, it was a Republican saying he wasn't represented because it was a Democratic administration, but I'm not sure overall... that's why I asked.

Melkor

The reason why you are confused is that there isn't a consistent ideology to these protests. I'm given to understand that Libertarians have had these style protests for years and basically the point that they are trying to make is that the government taxes and spends too much. Seeing as how the GOP doesn't have much going for it, they jumped on these smaller things and tried to get themselves associated with them. Fox News was only too happy to oblige and started hyping these things up. The Libertarians called them hypocrites because the GOP has always spent like drunken sailors. Addionally, once these things started getting hyped they drew out the anti-Obama crazies (he's a Kenyan, he's a Muslim, He's a Communist, He's a Fascist). Most of the events were sparsely attended (I think right-wingers have never made good protesters). So add it all up and you've got Libertarians, GOP party loyalists, anti-Obama people which makes for a mess.