Take the Apple, Dearie [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
In my years of playing EDH, I've built three different incarnations of my Ramses Overdark deck. Earlier this year, I was rocking a Hakim, Loreweaver deck. So when a new aura-based commander came out, I couldn't resist. There were so many auras that I wanted to incorporate into this deck, but space was tight. If the deck performs well, I might tone it down and swap in more Old School jank.

Commander:
1 Eriette of the Charmed Apple

1 Academy Rector
1 Anguished Unmaking
1 Animate Dead
1 Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist
1 Argivian Find
1 Arid Mesa
1 Ashnod's Altar
1 Aura of Silence
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Casting of Bones
1 Chime of Night
1 Crown of the Ages
1 Crystal Chimes
1 Damn
1 Dance of the Dead
1 Danitha Capashen, Paragon
1 Darksteel Mutation
1 Death Watch
1 Demonic Torment
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Diabolic Intent
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Fallen Ideal
1 Festering Wound
1 Flooded Strand
1 Forbidden Orchard
1 Generous Gift
1 Ghoulish Impetus
1 Gift of Immortality
1 Godless Shrine
1 Grim Guardian
1 Hall of Heliod's Generosity
1 Hateful Eidolon
1 Heliod's Pilgrim
1 Kami of False Hope
1 Karmic Guide
1 Last Voyage of the _____
1 Leonin Relic-Warder
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Living Death
1 Marsh Flats
1 Martial Impetus
1 Maze of Ith
1 Minion's Return
1 Monk Idealist
1 Necromancy
1 Paralyze
1 Pariah
1 Phyrexian Altar
1 Phyrexian Tower
8 Plains
1 Polluted Delta
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Replenish
1 Resurgent Belief
1 Sage's Reverie
1 Scrubland
1 Serra Ascendant
1 Serra's Sanctum
1 Sol Ring
1 Solitude
1 Songbirds' Blessing
1 Soul Link
1 Spirit Link
1 Strip Mine
1 Sun Titan
8 Swamp
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Tragic Arrogance
1 Transcendent Envoy
1 Treacherous Link
1 Unburial Rites
1 Unholy Indenture
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Vampiric Link
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Victimize
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Wicked Visitor
1 Winds of Abandon
1 Windswept Heath
1 Witch of the Moors

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Two weeks after building this deck, I finally got to play it. I ended up with some kind of illness the day after constructing this, so I didn't play it that week. Then the following week I had to repair the brakes on my car and ended up not playing any EDH. Well, today it was just one game with this deck, and not a great showing. I had to divide my attention somewhat because all three opponents presented some serious threats. One of those was a deck helmed by Bruna, Light of Alabaster. If you haven't seen a Bruna deck in action before, know that they can get pretty broken. Ultimately, I couldn't muster the resources to stop the Bruna player. Well, I might have been able to, but that would have left me open against the Nekusaur player. So it was a lose-lose situation for me.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Even worse luck for this deck. Tried it once on Wednesday night, but I ended up with a mediocre start of third-turn Eriette into fourth-turn Minion's Return. By that point, one of my opponents was already swinging at me for 20+ damage. It was only a three-player game, and two of us were essentially run over by big creatures with no recourse. Lame.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Finally got a halfway decent game with this deck. Unfortunately, I drew into a bunch of creature reanimation stuff when one of my opponents had Liesa, Forgotten Archangel on the board. Same opponent was doing creature recursion of his own like crazy, and I had no real outs against this. I held on for a long time and my deck's defenses proved to be better than I'd originally expected. But his commander was Piru, the Volatile. He gained well over a hundred life and was poised to gain more. No way was Eriette going to be able to keep up with that. It was an unwinnable situation.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
This deck put up a fight in a long game, but couldn't deal with all the ridiculously convoluted shenanigans presented by one of the new "Dr. Who" precons. I'm already sick of those stupid decks. Anyway, when I originally constructed this deck, I sort of deliberately leaned into the extreme aura reliance, knowing that it would give the deck a lower power level. I could have opted for a more oppressive control strategy, but I figured instead of wiping the board, I'd let people keep their creatures as much as possible. What I find is that typical tables at me LGS are just too explosive for this forgiving playstyle.

I bought a copy of Retether specifically to put it in this deck, and I haven't done so yet. Still debating whether I'll keep the deck together or just dismantle it and move on for now. Retether will have other opportunities some day.