Synod Sanctum, Spawning Pit + Your Opponents Creatures = Good Times

R

Reverend Love

Here's the quick and dirty. Take your opponent's creatures. Ring them over the dome, the sac them to your Spawning Pit or better yet remove them from the game with Synod Sanctum. It's really all about style. Would you rather make tokens or have the creature return at a later date to serve you?

The Razorfin Hunters we're pretty much thrown in as an afterthought....mostly to annoy and deal with utility creatures more then anything.

The deck contains a dash of card drawing which is needed. Without the creature thieving spells your really sitting out there butt in the wind. I'm thinking about swapping out Rays of Command for Chamber of Manipulation ..one of the cheesiest cards ever printed I might add.

Played it last night and it worked rather well. Only lost one game while using it. There's a perverse pleasure it taking someone’s creature, attacking them with it, then destroying it.

Comments/Suggestions?

Main Cards: 7
4 Spawning Pit
3 Synod Sanctum

Creatures: 4
4 Razorfin Hunter

Spells: 24
4 Threaten
3 Ray of Command
4 Grab the Reigns
2 Reins of Power
2 Insurrection
1 Dominate
2 Opportunity
3 Fire/Ice
2 Prophetic Bolt
1 Ensnare
1 Windfall

Land: 24
4 Volcanic Islands
1 Lonely Sandbar
1 Forgotten Cave
9 Islands
9 Mountains

T

train

Maybe minus 2 insurrection and 2 more reins of power - cheaper, gets the job done... otherwise you're only looking at insurrection for haste - just run an enchantment for yourself doing that trick...

R

Rooser

Chamber of Manipulation would be excellent. I used to have a Chamber/Animal Boneyard deck that would annoy the heck out of everybody.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Did you play this in MP games or single-player? If MP, did taking your opponents creatures make you a target or did they not care too much?

R

Rooser

Thing is, spidey, stealing all the creatures in play kinda stops your opponents from doing anything about it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Depends what else they're playing. If some are playing creature decks while others are playing control/creature-sweeper decks, then you won't be affecting the latter until they need to put out their one game-winning creature, and they'll try to kill you before that happens. Or burn... that's how it is in my group. Me and another guy played control while the other two played creatures and though I was stealing creatures, one of the creatures-players was burn and just started throwing spells my way, while the other control player just swept the board and made it all my efforts for naught.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Haven't you heard, Train? Boil gets Counterspelled, just like any other petty nonblue spell... :p

Anyway, I'm not sure as to how well this deck would work, because it needs the opponent to play creatures, generally, and is not based around a green enchantment from Exodus that begins with "Oath" and ends with "of Druids." I could be overlooking something though. And it does use Opportunity, which is just cool. And would Altar of Dementia be fun in this? It looks like it could be...

I

Istanbul

I like black over red with this deck...increase your blue stealing, maybe with some Callous Oppressors, and use cards like Nantuko Husk and Carrion Feeder (latter better than former).

R

Rooser

Actually. Oversoul, Boil's pretty good againt blue because it's an instant.

Either you play it at the end of their turn to ensure that you draw out a counterspell, thus enabling you play your business spell before they get to untap again, or you play it on your turn right after they smirk and tap out for a card drawing spell. Any blue-hate that works at insant speed is a god send. This is one reason why I love creature that cast as instants, (though they coulda done better with Tangle Spider. Thing should only cost 5 if you ask me...)

Again, you're talking to a guy who's had some great tournament success with King Cheetah. Too bad it's not in Extended anymore, because it's too slow for vintage.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I didn't say Boil was bad. I know Boil is good. I'm just trying bug Train about one of his favorite features of the color blue, countermagic. Besides, drawing out the countermagic won't help against blue, since it will be drawing so many cards... :p

You didn't think I thought Boil was bad against blue, did you? What was I supposed to think I should use against blue? Gloom? Karma?

T

train

yeah - you could run karmas in a celestial dawn deck - throw in some hacks and sleights and a gloom here and there, and your opponent is hosed, while I'm playing white...

"Dawn says so...";)

R

Reverend Love

Spiderman

Actually I do alright due to the fear factor *snicker*. People don't really mess with me too much due to my creature stealing ability. Also usually there's one guy playing big stupid green creatures at our multiplayer games...he's my tool :)

Oversoul

Your right, I depend 100% on my opponents playing creatures..but since it's mutliplayer I use this in, I'm fine.

Istanbul

I like Red's creatures stealing cards. Threaten, Grab the Reins are both excellent...I suppose it boils down to style really.

Train

I'd yank out the Insurrections in favor of Reins but I've only got two Reins :( Your right though..they're SOO much better.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You're lucky then, I get ganged up when I start because no one in my group likes losing their big creatures...

T

train

spidey - see what blue get syou - beats...:p

rev - I guess I missed something the first time - and oyu may be missing something - you listed 4 reins in the deck...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but it's because of the stealing creature, not of countering. I let them cast their spells.... :)

T

train

So we can still save spidey from completely turning to the dark side...:D :p

Rev - were we both missing the reins?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I still use counters, I just don't build an all-counter deck. In my MP group, that's usually too hard, not interesting, and makes you a target. :)

R

Reverend Love

Not too sure...maybe I accidently listed four to start with then corrected it later :confused: